Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican Sativas

Hi everyone
    I thought I would do a few strain reviews for you on some of my favorite strains. I have grown a lot of different types of weed over the years. It would be boring to stick to the same strain all the time so I like to mix it up a bit. I do have my favorites though.
    In general, I prefer sativas to indicas. I am a busy guy and like weed that does not stick me to the couch. I also like the way they grow, I find their tall leggy structure more elegant and pleasing to grow.
    So let us start with a firm old school favorite - Mexican sativa from Sensi Seeds.
    Mexican sativa is a breeders attempt to make that beautiful, old school sativa accessible to all cannabis growers. A proper, landrace Mexican strain from Oaxaca has been crossed with Durban for hardiness and a Pakistani indica to give it a shorter flowering time and denser form. Original Mexican sativas can be too tall and too long in the flowering for a lot of growers to accommodate properly. With this strain from Sensi you can get all the lovely sativa goodness, but it is much easier to handle.
    Normally a Mexican sativa will perform best in the outdoors where it has room to flourish. Unfortunately I do not have a suitable climate so I have never grown one outdoors, although i have seen it done several times, with great success. (I have friends in sunny places!)
    I have grown this strain indoors on numerous occasions and have been very happy with the results. I have grown them in large pots under a 1000W Dual spectrum lamp (I will make another post about my soil mix at a later date).
    If I were to grow this strain today I would definitely consider scrogging it, but at the time that I grew them I wasn't into the scrog like I am now.
    I let these plants grow with just some topping and light LST to keep the tops down. I found that they do not like too much feed. On top of the nutrients in my soil mix I just fed once during veg (around two weeks) and 3 to 4 times during flower. Sensi say up to ten weeks for flowering but I normally like to go an extra week or so. To be honest I would add at least a week onto all the flowering times given by breeders for sativas.
    Once into her stride Mexican sativa really does grow quickly and it is a pleasure to go back to the grow room each day and see the difference.
    Yields were ok. I could get a lot more in a shorter space of time from some other strains, but it's not all about the weight. The buds on this strain are long like sativas. Mine were quite dense too, but I'm guessing under a 250W or 400W they would probably be a bit lighter.
    If you like sativas, or are looking for a good strain for daytime smoking that won't mess you up too much, this is a great strain to try.
Working...
X