harvesting my plant.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harvesting my plant.

Hi you guys, ive posted about my lighting and the small buds I had. Sorry but I cant remember which one of you guys said that I still had time before harvest and the buds will plump. Ive seen, that its time to harvest when the tricomes turn 70% amber. My buds are still very small and im disappointed but I have a lot of amber tricomes, So I took it out and was goin to harvest the plant but in regular lighting it looks like I have a lot of white tricomes yet..... so I put her back for now. .im learning.. Ive learned a lot since ive put my plants in the bloom room about pruning and hopefully my next batch that will be ready to harvest will be better... heres some pictures please tell me what you guys think.. this is in regular lighting

Bro, im a noob on plant weed too, but one thing is sure: Your container is too small!! With sure don´t will has some good and big buds.

Comment

• froggy
      froggy commented
      Editing a comment
      ya BUT. ;o) I know planting and root systems. I had my own landscaping business and green house that I split, transplanted, even worked on cross breading lilies. the root system of the plants are really not that big for the 2 months they stay in the bloom room.. but everything ive been reading talks about 5 gal buckets.. ???????????????

Hey froggy, yea your buds are small, but no matter how much extra time you give them now will not unfortunately improve the yield. Never mind, that said, a good rule of thumb if you aint got a loup or microscope to look at trichomes, is to harvest when you have about 75% of the pistils that have turned golden brown /redish. Harvesting when the trichomes have turned amber will give you a heavy body/couchlock stone. Whilst when they're milky white which is what you say yours are,will be more of a head stone. Again it's all up to the individual. Hope this helps you out.

Comment

• thegreengrower
      thegreengrower commented
      Editing a comment
      I would add though that not to harvest when the trichomes are clear as the plant ain't ready.

• froggy
      froggy commented
      Editing a comment
      Hiya green. I think I need to find a site that shows me all the different plant parts. you talked about pistils.. is that what the human eye can see? and then the trichomes are what I would need the jewlers eye for?

The pistils are the hairs that you can see. The trichomes are the little crystals that you also see covering the buds and small leaves surrounding the buds. Hope this helps you.

Comment

• froggy
      froggy commented
      Editing a comment
      yep cleared it up for me. ;o) what are the V shape hairs that I see close to the stem.. is that "preflower" that ive read about?

High Froggy!

Haven't had a chance yet to welcome you to the forum, Welcome and Thanks for all you have contributed since you've been here. I have enjoyed reading some of your stuff. Looks like you're a go~getter when it comes to growing and from your photo's, it seems your a good grower already. Lots of good stuff to learn here, and in my opinion your plant needs, for you to pick up a good eye piece to determine when to harvest her, if you don't have one already. Here's what I can tell you.

The odor reaches a peak at the same time the trichromes begin to fluoresce in the light, twinkling like little crystals. In some varieties, they are so prominent that the whole bud sparkles. Using a magnifying glass, a photographer's loop, or a microscope, you can monitor the buds progression to the peak of ripeness by (watching the resin in the gland tops.)

Under magnification, you can see the individual glands turn from clear to amber or a milky white as they mature. these colors indicate that the THC is beginning to degrade into two other cannabinoids, CBL and CBN, which are not nearly as powerful as THC. When they begin to change from clear to amber or cloudy white, the buds should be harvested. This is the peak moment.

No bud should be picked before it's time. Plants and varieties differ as to maturation pattern. Some plants mature all at once, so that the whole plant can be picked. Other varieties mature from top down, or the buds on the outside of the branch mature faster than the inner buds hidden from the light. Once the outer buds are harvested, the inner branches are exposed to light and quickly ripen. It can take two weeks of choosing mature buds, before the plant is totally picked. Best of luck to you.

Comment

At this point I must say that not all strains show amber trichomes. It's strain dependant on which will show amber trichomes. Trichomes start out as clear /transparent and as they mature they turn milky white. This is the point when your plants are at their peak,ie: THC is at its peak. Then (strain dependant only) trichomes turn amber. This is the point when the THC is degrading and turning into other compounds like CBD, CBN, and others. It is these compounds that give you that couchlock stone. A general rule of thumb is harvest when the pistils are 75% golden brown /redish.

Comment

• froggy
        froggy commented
        Editing a comment
        omg im so confused lol...k I thought the pisils are the V shape white hair where the buds form???? that's what I have to watch. The "things" on the top of the buds is what I thought were the trichomes. Are you sayin the trichomes are the glistening that I see on the small leaves that surround the bud??

High Froggy!

Here's a video that might help you identify the difference between the resin gland tops (mushroom in shape) and the pistols (the hairs), toward the end of the video. You must sign into youtube to see this video. With your eye piece, watch the resin in the gland tops till they form the mushroom shape then harvest only the ones that are ready. You can wait for the other buds resin glands to mushroom~up before you harvest them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPzCCZfl5uw

Comment

That was a really cool video blaze...all those mushroom lookin things at the end of the video are what I need the eye piece for, yes? thanks for being so helpful... you know of a good one for pruning in the veg stage?

Comment

Froggy

Not right off, but if you go back to youtube, use the link from my previous post to get there. Then type in to their search " trimming cannabis in the vegetative stage", there are several video's there, that will show you different ways to trim your plants. Off to the right side, you will see other video's that you can click on, with several different ways growers are trimming their plants. Good Luck.

Comment

• froggy
            froggy commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks blaze. I have spent a lot of time on you tube.. its amazing at all the videos they have. I was just wondering if you had a favorite. theres so much info on you tube.
        Working...
        X