hi, i need input to decide hydro or soil grow box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi, i need input to decide hydro or soil grow box

hi, i am going to buy a stealth grow box but the market has so many variables. i was wondering if i could get some pros and cons for each from others who have used one method or both. im currently using
    hydro small grow box but need something larger as my girls keep outgrowing he 3ft /2/2, box.
    any help would be appreciated.
    thank in advance
    sorry for the duplicate post i didnt think the first one went through
    Last edited by tbaby; 10-10-2013, 01:54 PM. Reason: apology

Well I don't know much about grow boxes, I prefer to grow in a big closet or spare room or what I'm thinking about doing.. Converting my spare dining room into a grow closet in itself, by building a room within my open room by building a 8' tall 4'x5' frame with 2x4" 's and then using panda plastic stuff to envelope it into a closed room with the easily accessable side with a slit down the middle and a tape on zipper to keep it sealed with the proper ventilation, lights, and im adding co2 and so on.. I'm building it with hydro in mind so I'm keeping any and all electrical stuff above waist level and so on. There's pros and cons about soil, soilless mediums, hydro, organics, aero and so on, but that all depends on the, 1. Space avalible, 2. Time avalible, 3. How serious your going to be taking your hobby of growing, and 4. How long you plan on doing it. The rest will revolve around the decision you make.. Such as setting up the room and what not. The best advice I can give you is to just keep researching. Spend a little more time reading about everything. Make a plan from seedling and how your gonna take care of that, get your methods down, than think about what your gonna do next when they are vegging and so on and expect there to be a little stress between transplants, a couple un expected problems like pests or nutrient lockouts and so on.. I recomend getting a book dedicated to directly growing cannabis. Such as the cannabis grow bible, or the book that this website has made. It's a new up to date book and it's been very helpful, but it helps to get a book that's been around for a while so you can see what old methods were used and how they've changed today and even how they haven't changed at all because they are just so very efficient.. And I don't mean a pamflet size book, I'm talking about a college, dictionary sized book. I have 3 books and they are all different in the way they teach and talk about everything, but they give the same info but just In a different way of teaching it. So the more books you read (from start to end) the more of a pro you'll be without even needing to grow and also try going on YouTube and watching people's tutorials. Look for the pages that have LOTS about growing and that are more than inexperienced growers eager to show off.. Find pages that have episodes of different stages of their plants life's and that show how they set up their grow room and why they do the things they do and you'll easily spend a whole week watching videos gathering info from person to person and you can see how they take care of their real problems and so you can see how long things take and it's like watching someone teach how to grow and you'll even see how to prevent diseases and they helped me a lot and they're there with lots of views for a reason. I think it's more along the lines of ultimately your decision how you grow because no one knows your set up and preferences better than you do. And the pros and cons are too much to list and are variable with different things related to surroundings, location, strain, equip/suply availability, and so on, just look in the books my friend and happy growing! I wish you the best of luck and if you want, you can message me any time and ill help the best i can!

Comment

Thanks WPX, I appreciate you taking time to help. I have already spent a great deal of time researching and have ED,s grow bible and the other one also mentioned. I have to grow in my garage and need super stealth due to family nosy neighbors etc.. I have grown soil outdoors and have a small hydro box but I need more room for Chernobyl to finish at her max potential.the main reason I started the thread was to get others opinions and to see if they had they same dilemma as me in trying to decide. so, with that being said I have decided to do my experiment and grow same strain one in hydro one in soil and just see and keep a journal on it. after posting the original question I thought why not! Thanks again and when I get that all set I will post the progress for others who may be facing the same decisions.

Comment

For indoor grows most people reckon you can get a bit more yield out of hydro than soil. Personally though, I prefer soil. It is more natural and also you are less likely to get nutrient problems.

Maybe another thing to consider, if stealth is really a deal for you, is the sound of running/bubbling water. It's not normally that loud but if you have real nosey neighbours.....

If you have the time and resources to do a comparative grow then that is something we would love to see on here. Stick it in the grow diaries section and call it something like Soil V Hydro.

Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
        X