Yet another seeking medical relief

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another seeking medical relief

New to this forum so here's waving a hand and tipping my hat to ya.
    Twas raised in the wild by "wolves" they say, LOL.
    I grew up on hunting, fishing and working in the great outdoors.
    A few careers down the road now and life is taking it's toll on me.
    Politics in the medical field have made it very difficult to obtain pain suppressing medication for chronic pain treatment.
    So here I aim, in research mode. My experience with growing is very limited though I once successfully cloned a number of plants.
    I'm looking to see what it's gonna cost for a set up that could sustain my needs while fitting my lifestyle/circumstances.
    Then compare "medical card + grow cost's + hobby/satisfaction factor" to "consumption amount/purchase cost/risk factors" of street weed.

The average startup cost for a small operation is around $140. Not a very solid number, mind you; there are many factors that may affect your costs. Closet growing operations run up from this base price. Then again, this may cover the cost of your seeds alone!
    As far as the satisfaction factor is concerned, if you find a strain that suits your needs you usually won't be disappointed. Once you light up a bowl, you'll have your answer for sure! Nothing beats homegrown weed, in my humble opinion! If you grow enough, you'll never have to buy from a street dealer again! That is probably the most satisfying part of the deal!
    Last edited by Dang ol Stoner; 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dang ol Stoner View Post
      The average startup cost for a small operation is around $140. Not a very solid number, mind you; there are many factors that my affect your costs. Closet growing operations run up from this base price. Then again, this may cover the cost of your seeds alone!
      As far as the satisfaction factor is concerned, if you find a strain that suits your needs you usually won't be disappointed. Once you light up a bowl, you'll have your answer for sure! Nothing beats homegrown weed, in my humble opinion! If you grow enough, you'll never have to buy from a street dealer again! That is probably the most satisfying part of the deal!
      I'm thinking a bit more than $140. I could probably spend that much just getting the misc stuff like pots, growing medium, nutrients, timer switch and reflective material. I've also got my eye on the new LED's at $250 a pop and I hope to get by without an exhaust fan for a small LED closet grow. Blower fans are not an issue, I have several, and as you pointed out, seeds could easily absorb some cash but I would not try to start at the top or the bottom of the "seed chain" until I get a couple crops under my belt at least.

I'm seeing it as an investment even though it's a drop in the bucket compared anything much bigger, and being on disability = the poor house to begin with so it will have to be an accumulation process over time.

After last night I'm playing this by ear until I see how things are panning out here in WA. I heard some talk last night about loosing our growing privileges once legalization kicks in.

Comment

Hi Hasbeen, welcome aboard.
        The price of a grow room set up is a 'how long is a piece of string' question. Lots and lots of variables, but a bit of ingenuity and common sense can help keep costs down.
        LEDs can be expensive in the first place but will pay for themselves before long with lower utility bills. Be sure they are reputable ones howver, lots of cheap LEDs on the market that will veg your plants but will not have enough balls to flower them. If you've been looking at about $250 for the smallest unit then that sounds about right. Hydrogrow have the best reputation that I have heard of, although I have read that there are counterfiet versions fo these about that are rubbish.
        I've heard a few users mention these too. There's a lighting expert on the lighting forum who may be able to advise you further if you need it.
        Sounds like you're an outdoors kind of guy. No chance of a bit of guerrila gardening where you live?
        Good luck with it all.

Comment

Working...
        X