Keep the yougins inside for awhile?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep the yougins inside for awhile?

Is it okay to bring my outdoor seedlings inside at night, that are just now breaking the surface of the soil, and put them under a compact flourecent, so they are under light 24 hours of light a day? At least until it warms up at night. It's still 45 degrees Fahrenheit at night here and 75-80 degrees in the daytime. I heard seedlings need to stay warmer. The nights will get warmer within the next week. Oh, and I still put them out side in the day time. Any advise or tips would be appreciated.
    Last edited by JWork123; 05-12-2014, 05:12 AM.

That's totally the right thing to do. Night times are maybe still a bit too cold where you are.
    There is an argument that 24hrs light is wasted on seedlings as they only use about 18. In the past I have tried 18h V 24h and not really seen any difference so always gave my plants a few hours dark so they can have a bit of shut eye. But really, this is not about the light. Bring them in to keep them warm, the amount of extra lighting you give is down to your own personal preference.

Comment

Stick a thermometer in the soil you are going to use when your soil gets warm go for it. I've had two outside for two weeks now sitting under the eves of the house in pots - they have new growth. I brought the rest out today, they also are in pots so can be moved if the fit hits the shan. If your dirt is to cold you might end up with root rot. I'm in western Washington up on a mountain. I think I'm pushing it a bit but it hailed the other day and they were good under the protection. I am bringing in a seedling every night and outside in the morning with my dog - they both like it. Now if I could just learn to clone - -slo-han

Comment

I appreciate the help. I think my soil got to dry, because i pulled the seeds out of the peat pots I have that got no water, and the little white tail was dead and brown. But I have sprouts on the ones that accidentally got wet. I got 15 or so more seeds, I'll just plant again and not let em die. Could this be a ph problem, or did I just dehydrate my poor babies.

Comment

I got half of my seedlings sprouted, and they look really healthy. And when I take them outside, if its too hot I put them in the shade, If the temp is under 80 I'll put em in the sun. What temp would you guys say is too cold for sprouts?

Comment

Working...
          X