Mold or Mildew Suspicions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold or Mildew Suspicions

Hey, sorry if this is being posted in the wrong forum but I'm desperate for some expert advice.

I'm currently living in Miami, FL. Since moving here about 8 months ago I've found about 75% of the strains I've come in contact with to have an odd smell like an old closet, which makes me think it's either mold or mildew(or similar).

I'm tempted to think the humidity down here has something to do with it but I really have no idea. After keeping some of them in a jar it continues to get worse to the point where the smell is almost nauseating.

I've tried several different sources and somehow still running into vaguely the same issue, an unusual smell I've never experienced before in all the cities and countries I've smoked in.

I've done a decent bit of research so far which led me to trying to look at the bud under a blacklight to detect mold (didn't work) and baking in the oven at 350 for 5-10 mins (ruins the bud/experience imo)

Most other threads I've read about the subject come to the conclusion to just not smoke it all together. I'm trying to avoid that or at least get some definite evidence that this odor is mold or mildew (nothing visible btw)

Any help is greatly appreciate.....Tnx

Hello. That's a strange one. Are you sure that the weed is properly cured? We are plagued with uncured weed where I live. Although it is never actually smelly. Check out this link on harvesting and curing marijuana. I find that if I buy weed and it isd still damp if I just leave the lid off of the jar for a half hour per day it soon dries out nicely.
    If curing is not your problem I am lost as to what it might be. Are you sure that the different sources have different weed and are not just different avenues to the same weed?

Check out the Atmos Raw Vaporizer here

Comment

Well...fortunately, I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to mold! There are three conditions that must exist for mold to thrive: darkness, still air, and moisture. You can eliminate all three easily if you place your weed in an open, well-lit room with ample ventillation. As far as humidity is concerned, you may need to get creative. The driest room in your house will be the one with a swamp cooler running nonstop with the compressor draining out the back door! Ever since I rigged one up in my room, I haven't seen a spot of mold growing on anything!
      And I should know, since I find myself emptying out the compressor bucket 5 times a week during the summer!

Comment

Working...
      X