Cali green house thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cali green house thoughts?

Ok so I bought this cheap green house I live in Cali near Palm Springs area so it gets pretty hot here in summer. What are your guys thought should I give it all day sun? If so should I have fans inside circulating all day? Or certain hours? I'm setting up everything today so if interested for pics let me know

Having the ability to black out your green house is a huge bonus, lets you manipulate the hours of light. Some shade is also a good thing if it is getting TOO hot inside. Depending on the size and structure, having either or both shade curtains makes life a lot different. Many greenhouse growers used difused light panels here in Colorado, as the sun is wicked inside a greenhouse... During the winter months is not as bad, but July August, noon sun at elevation's like 6,000 ft above sea level, are far more intense than say 600 ft above sea level. I will try to get a video later today, of my local commercial growers green house, its spectacular! See if this link to a facebook video works: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204711722007633

Comment

• Blaze4daze
      Blaze4daze commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! on that video, coconut. simply amazing. Lotz of money invested there 4 sure.

Welcome Aceves

Hotter then heck out there in Palm Springs come summer time. Outside temps can reach 115+ degrees, regularly. Can you show those photos? Most green houses I've seen, do have big fans moving air in them all day. Specially if their covered. Might also want to goggle for more info on green house set~ups for high temp locations, just to be on the safe side, as I have never grown in them to give you accurate info, others here might know more.

Cannabis needs full time air movement wherever your growing it. Outdoors generally has air movement, specially on breezy days. Helps deliver much needed oxygen. Also check with your local hydro supply store, they will give you good info out there. Please keep us updated as your info can help others too. Best of Luck.
    Last edited by Blaze4daze; 02-21-2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Aceves

Moved your topic here to the appropriate section, from the grow diary section.

Comment

I'm not familiar with such hot weather but I would say that you definitely need some protection during the daytime in the summer. Some blinds or matting that can provide shade. You will need to keep temps down too. A big fan will just move hot air about. You need some cooler air. Regular 100+ temps will kill your plants.

Comment

Cool thanks all!! I really appreciate all the help. And sorry about where I posted this, I'm a new guy here. I will post pics of my green house location and what I'll be using as my nutrients and soil. Also if I were to black it out on a very hot day would the plant get confused Because it does not get it's regular hours of sun? I will also post some pictures of my first plants ever. I started them late summer last year and for some weird reason they did not die

Comment

Comment

Nice plant! There Aceves. Heard 'all good' about the flora series. No worries at all, just relocated your post to keep all'z good here.

Hot, HOT, Hot out there! come summer, dang! How did you do, growing there last, late~summer? Did you have to wait till then because of the desert temps? A black top on your greenhouse would not confuse the plants getting their regular number of hours of light on hot days, as long as some light was arriving to the plants from the sides or ends (opened~up), or some white, or clear sheeting on your greenhouse somewhere else at the same time, but the hot air like Saturnalia stated, would be hard on the plants come mid summer, blacked~out or not. Does seem like fans would blow more hot air without some form, or way of cooling it first.

Do people really grow outdoors, out there during the mid summer heat? Would seem to be too many hot~ass days in a row, for the plants in those temps. Sounds like your about ready for your grow. Will be real interesting seeing your photos . Defiantly keep us updated, as your grow info will help others here too. Best of Luck to ya.

Comment

Blazefordaze!! Thank for the help and yes I'm so excited for my build this spring!! I have a irrigation system set up I dug about 2 feet down and set the green house for descret location. And honestly I planted those plant late summer because that's when I got into agriculture and decided to grow bud along with a bunch of flowers. Ppl out here do grow practically anytime!!! It's just so Danm hot out here!! We only have about weeks of frost here so I just cover them and have a heater running around it. Would you happen to know where I can get a blackout cover or something close to it? And what do you recommend to keep it cool on hot days such as 110 degrees

Comment

Comment

Good question, Can you send photos of your area and greenhouse so we can see what your working with? Home depot has black visqueen sheeting in rolls, in all sizes and thickness. Would need to see your layout w/photos to really understand your set~up there.

As far as cooling, that also depends on how your set~up. Lowes and or Home Depot also has those portable swamp coolers in 2 different sizes, cooling your air flow will be your biggest challenge next to your blackout capabilities for those real hot days. Have you got a power supply (electricity) out there?

Try to send photos and we'll take a look, ok? Wow!, hard to believe people really have success growing outdoors there during that mid summer heat, dang.

Comment

Sounds like you are putting in a pretty serious green house, I would contact the manufacturer about shade options and vent options. Shade does not have to black out the whole house, just the direct sun in the middle of the day. Cooling is most efficient with water, so a swamp cooler would work great, I have one for my whole house and it keeps the indoor humidity up during the dry summer heat and drops the temps in the house by 20 degrees or more. I get days over 100, but the indoor temps stay below 75. You could easily make your own from fabric at Home Depot, it can be purchased by the yard and you just hang it up like a drape basically, or a curtain, water proof for outdoor patios, more of a mesh like material...

Another thing to think about with a green house, roof venting, better houses will have panels on the roof that open to allow hot air out. Then big fans on both ends, on pointed out, the other pointed in. Mister systems also work, but that gets a little too moist if you are not careful...

Comment

ok so I've been having trouble posting my pics to you guys. it says I've exceeded picture limit. but my green house is quiet cheap and its only 12 feet long and 7 feet wide with 8 feet tall. I've been working on it slowly but since my grandfather past away 3 days ago its been slowing me down a lot. but anyways my green house gets about 6-8 hours of light so yes I'm sure ill need a blackout tarp on those hot nights. I've went ahead and ordered a cheap small swamp cooler for a nice cold breeze. and some small fans (6 of them) for air circulation. what temp should i try and keep the green house and what humidity would work best in my location? as it is humidity usually is at 40% here. and also thinking of cutting a piece of the green house for an exhaust fan? as of right now the green house is set i just need to get a couple more feet of irrigation hose that i will be connecting to a timer for those partying weekends i leave out of town lol. and i will be putting in about 15-18 plants. how can i delete photos from photo gallery on this site so i can send you guys some pictures for a better view of my build?

Comment

Sorry for your lose of your Grandfather, there Aceves. Our Condolences go out to you and your family.

If when uploading those photos and it comes back exceeding picture limit, what you need to do is crop them down a~bit in your photo app. Crop them, then try again. Keep cropping a~tad at a time, till they fit, a little at a time, if necessary. Eventually they will come thru. Then you don't have to worry about moving them from your photo gallery.

Temps need to be between 70~85 degrees, or 24~29 Celsius. Humidity at lowest your ok at 40%, but better at 45~55% max, if possible. Glad to hear you picked up a swap cooler you can put behind a few of those fans, nice decision. Hope you don't end up needing another.

I think you have a good idea installing a vent, or two for hot air removal, for sure it will help remove some of that hot desert air. from your 12x7x8 green house, maybe one on each end if possible, or however works best. With 6 or so fans moving the air, hopefully you'll be fine.

All of us here I'm sure, would really like to see your upcoming grow. We have a grow diary section here for diary's and would be excited to see your grow adventure w/photos if you decide to share it with us. Any other questions we're here to help. Please keep us updated. Keep trying with those photos too, they'll come thru if you resize them down a~tad. Best of Luck to ya.

Comment

Images to be posted on the site need to be under 2mb in size to post successfully.

Comment

Working...
                            X