container size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• container size

can anyone tell me if a 1 gallon container is big enough to grow 30 inch plants?

It might do it but would be a bit small for my liking. Might be a bit restrictive for the roots. I would say at least a 3 gallon, but I would prefer a 5.

Comment

That my not be a big enough container, to get them to 30 inches, with good results, that would require lots of prayer bro. and some LST, (low stress training). But, Yes, I totally agree. The bigger the container, you use, the bigger plant you'll have. The roots, like stated above, need room to do there magic. I have been growing, using 5 gal. containers, with pretty good results. You probably have space limitations, to be asking that question.

When I harvested those plants, I pulled the chopped off stock, from the container, to see how my roots looked. And was surprised to see how much of the container was utilized by the roots. They traveled all thru, that size container, and even tried growing out my drainage holes. I had to keep poking them back in.

My next grow, I'm using 10 gal. (areobag) containers, and hoping my plants will grow much bigger.
      Last edited by Blaze4daze; 06-28-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Try hydro

For space limitations, Hydro can be a great way to go. The initial cost for setup is slightly more than soil, but as much as 90% of the materials can be re-used depending on what you use of course. I personally am going with Deep Water Technology this time. No medium other than one small rockwool cube to start the seedling in and the water and nutrient solution that the roots actually grow in. I've seen some pretty large plants growing in this type of setup, including Cannabis, but will start a diary on the grow once I get it all running.

The costs are also the least intrusive on a tight budget. Most of the system can actually be made from relatively cheap materials. The systems I am modeling mine after all use a 5 gallon bucket with a net top cover. The cover is where the plant will reside, and the bucket is where the water/nutrient/medium is maintained. Inside the bucket with the solution, you place a couple of aerator stones attached to an aquarium air pump. This keeps the nutrient solution oxygenated and the nutrients mixed. That's the entire system right there. I chose this one also for portability reasons. It can be used outside as well as indoors, with the primary caution being cooling of the nutrient solution. This can be accomplished by burying 2/3 of the bucket in a hole in the ground.

Another advantage is that you can measure the plants uptake in nutrients and water much more accurately. Flushing the plants is also easier, as there is no medium to worry about retaining trace residue from the nutrients. Simply flush the bucket with clean water and the only nutrients left are what the plant has already taken in. This is great for the flowering stage when you want all that crap gone.

Comment

Working...
        X