Industry sized Grow building 40x40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industry sized Grow building 40x40

Hello, I am a first time poster living in the Seattle area where weed has become legal. I am also a business owner, and would love to be able to break into this kind of market, offering top notch products to everyone. So my business partners and I have gone to the internet, and done some research, and came up with a very basic idea and we need your expertise to help us finish it off! This will be a lengthy post, just FYI. Your time is very appreciated and we can't wait to read some of the feedback. Feel free to leave constructive criticism, and be honest, if this building isn't going to work, we would really like to know. With out further ado, here it is:
    Grow building.jpg

(I know the picture is small so here is a description for those if you can't read this):
    Description:
    This will be the jist of the grow building. The plants will be grown hydroponically, with a NFT water system (channel system run on a timer) ideally. At the start the watering might be just done manually, but that will be determined once an estimate has been drawn up and budget established. Co2 is also another thing that could come later, and input on that would be welcomed. The lighting plan is to use LED grow lights, keeping the utility bill down, however at this time no particular brand or light has been established, and input is very necessary. A particular brand grow light, and the quantity of grow lights needed for this room would be needed. The plan is to grow with the Sea of Green technique, with 1 plant per sq. ft. meaning about 10 plants per growing tub. We live in the Seattle area, which means colder days towards winter, so the building would be heated for winter, and use A/C for the summer. The drying room would be dedicated to drying out the buds, as they would benefit from the cooler room. Storage would be for keeping product awaiting sale, or transfer to processing for various different products. The plan is to be able to grow a maximum of 200 plants per building, with a cloning room to keep the mother plant, and if it’s possible grow the seedlings. As far as ventilation, we plan to run 4 floor vents for the heater, and 2 exhaust vents in the ceiling. The plan is to have an arch roof and a flat ceiling inside, leaving space for the vents to go into. The exhaust vents during the winter would go around in some curves to cool it, then vent down into the drying room. This would maximize the efficiency during the winter, once again keeping cost down. During the summer, the heater would not run, and the A/C would, venting through the same vents as the heater. A valve on the exhaust vent would switch, and the exhaust would vent outside, and the A/C would vent into the drying room, providing a different climate for drying. The cloning room would operate on the same system; only with one heat/cooling vent, and one exhaust vent. Storage will be on another system, most likely similar to the cloning room, or the drying room; that will be determined at a later point with further input. The whole building will be climate controlled by room for ideal conditions to maximize production. Currently the light situation is what needs to be solved, the current idea is to run a light above each planter, and one below that can reach the bottom leaves. The growing medium looks like we are going to settle on rock wool. The plan is to grow White Widow, Northern Lights, and Big Bud, reading that indica strains grow best in hydroponic systems. We would appreciate any feedback on our building, as none of us have grown weed in the past. The plan is to produce and process weed as a business for the new legalized Washington market. Thank you for your feedback, advice, and time!

grow room

looking at your plan makes me jealous! I'm glad you guys get to do it legal! What has the state done as far as licensing/permits record keeping tax etc? Let us know...I would suggest this: I like your idea but I am using 4" pvc pipe spaced 24" appart with 3 1/2" holes in it for grow cups to fit into. I use the 12 oz dixie plastic cups and use a soldier iron to put two rows of holes in them for drainage, much cheaper then baskets which are about .80 each. It addes up. The pipes are set in a wood frame, 18" high and the whole system that I have is 8'long x 4' wide. 3 pipes, 14 plants each with 24 sq." in space. You need this much room to let your plants spread out. The more bush the more colas equals more profit! The pump is a small one, 190 gallons an hour and you just don't need anything any bigger. Use silly pipe (irrigation pipe, very thin wall) to lrun a line from the bottom end to the top end and 1/4 irrigation tubing to each of the three pvc pipes, have the pipes on a slight tilt towards the bottom so the water will run slightly. On the bottom I reduce the 4" pvc thin wall pipe down to 2" sch 40 (cheaper). This will keep the water level just right in the 4 " pipes. The water drops out into a 15 gallon resevoir that is aireated with a dual air pump from walmart.The whole set up buying everything new is around $110. $70 dollars for the pipe, pump is 15 and aireator is 12.I I use liquid nutrients with aquashield and change it out every week. My grow room is undeerground and have two set ups like this one in veg state and one in flowering at all times. I cut clones from the veg plants the day before going into flowering state and three weeks later the clones are ready to plant, if you want to call putting them into water planting them!This system is working very well for me and I haven't had a moments problem with it. It would be a lot cheaper for you to set up and operate then your tank/tub set up. lot less equipment to worry about. I was going to do bubbleponics but the tanks are just too expensive, take up too much room and don't give each plant the room she needs. I shoot for a 30" tall plant, 32" in diameter. These are just my ideas for what ever use any body wants..Good luck to you in your venture, oh I almost forgot, Got my seeds to start with from BC seedking, in vancover, great company to work with, discreet, fast and very, VERY reasdonable pricing. I am growing BC great white. Again best of luck...
    Originally posted by chronicbob View Post
    Hello, I am a first time poster living in the Seattle area where weed has become legal. I am also a business owner, and would love to be able to break into this kind of market, offering top notch products to everyone. So my business partners and I have gone to the internet, and done some research, and came up with a very basic idea and we need your expertise to help us finish it off! This will be a lengthy post, just FYI. Your time is very appreciated and we can't wait to read some of the feedback. Feel free to leave constructive criticism, and be honest, if this building isn't going to work, we would really like to know. With out further ado, here it is:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]242[/ATTACH]

(I know the picture is small so here is a description for those if you can't read this):
    Description:
    This will be the jist of the grow building. The plants will be grown hydroponically, with a NFT water system (channel system run on a timer) ideally. At the start the watering might be just done manually, but that will be determined once an estimate has been drawn up and budget established. Co2 is also another thing that could come later, and input on that would be welcomed. The lighting plan is to use LED grow lights, keeping the utility bill down, however at this time no particular brand or light has been established, and input is very necessary. A particular brand grow light, and the quantity of grow lights needed for this room would be needed. The plan is to grow with the Sea of Green technique, with 1 plant per sq. ft. meaning about 10 plants per growing tub. We live in the Seattle area, which means colder days towards winter, so the building would be heated for winter, and use A/C for the summer. The drying room would be dedicated to drying out the buds, as they would benefit from the cooler room. Storage would be for keeping product awaiting sale, or transfer to processing for various different products. The plan is to be able to grow a maximum of 200 plants per building, with a cloning room to keep the mother plant, and if it’s possible grow the seedlings. As far as ventilation, we plan to run 4 floor vents for the heater, and 2 exhaust vents in the ceiling. The plan is to have an arch roof and a flat ceiling inside, leaving space for the vents to go into. The exhaust vents during the winter would go around in some curves to cool it, then vent down into the drying room. This would maximize the efficiency during the winter, once again keeping cost down. During the summer, the heater would not run, and the A/C would, venting through the same vents as the heater. A valve on the exhaust vent would switch, and the exhaust would vent outside, and the A/C would vent into the drying room, providing a different climate for drying. The cloning room would operate on the same system; only with one heat/cooling vent, and one exhaust vent. Storage will be on another system, most likely similar to the cloning room, or the drying room; that will be determined at a later point with further input. The whole building will be climate controlled by room for ideal conditions to maximize production. Currently the light situation is what needs to be solved, the current idea is to run a light above each planter, and one below that can reach the bottom leaves. The growing medium looks like we are going to settle on rock wool. The plan is to grow White Widow, Northern Lights, and Big Bud, reading that indica strains grow best in hydroponic systems. We would appreciate any feedback on our building, as none of us have grown weed in the past. The plan is to produce and process weed as a business for the new legalized Washington market. Thank you for your feedback, advice, and time!

Comment

Interesting stuff. I'm with Jim in that I'm a bit jealous that I can't do this where I live.

Technically you seem to have obviously done your homework. It all looks sound.
      I just have three comments to make.

Big Bud is great for commercial grows but is not the best weed to smoke. Maybe you should consider doing a variety of 'connoisseur' strains. You can charge a premium on them and keep Big Bud and the like as the cheaper option. If weed is now legal in Washington tokers will be looking for quality as well as quantity.

The nuts and bolts of the new legisaltion have yet to be decided, as has the response from the feds. It might be worth waiting and watching for a bit before investing big bucks into this. There's a lot of busted dispensaries in CA, people who thought they were operating within the bounds of state law, who would agree with me.

I cannot vouch from personal experience, but I hear talk that growled.com are a reputable LED supplier. Ask some questions on the LED/Lighting forum.

Good luck to you my friend. I hope it all works out for you.

Comment

Daaaaaaaaaamn!

Chronicbob, you describe to me what sounds like the stoner's paradise!
        It turns out I have family in Seattle, and I must say I am bent on moving there...
        Not that there's anything wrong with living down here in Southern California (OG central)!
        I'm not a fan of the hot weather though, and I hear there are much better job opportunities up in Seattle....
        ....especially now that recreational use of marijuana is now legal there!
        Last edited by Dang ol Stoner; 11-12-2012, 09:48 PM. Reason: typographical

Comment

is there anywhere i can rent a room where it is secure to grow plants as a cavegiver in michigan? i am tired of being broken into!! are there any states where it is legal that you can rent a grow room?
          Last edited by Blaze4daze; 02-07-2015, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X