Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!! It's all went wrong!! (1st time growers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! It's all went wrong!! (1st time growers)

Hi, we've recently got a grow tent etc - this is our set-up; 1.6m x 1.65m x .45m grow tent, 1 x 600w bulb (ballister etc).
    We tried to grow 2 plants, germinated them in damp cottonwool, after a few days they sprouted and we transfered to a small yoghurt pot with soil into which we planted the seed about an inch into the soil with the white sprout pointing downwards.
    For the 1st seed we didnt put it straight under the lights, we sat it on the windowsill for 3 days and then we put it under the lights in the tent along with the 2nd seed who by this time had also germinated.
    They had both been well watered and every 2nd day we would water them some more. After 5 days we've had NO results, nothing.
    WHERE HAVE WE GONE WRONG? Have we missed something? Has anyone got any ideas or hints/info to help us along? We truly are novices but have invested alot and are serious about it!!!
    Also, has anyone got any ideas on ways to combate the smell when we get going? Any perticular types or strains that are best for not being to smelly??!!
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, we just want to get things moving.
    Thanx

Hi there.
    Hard to say what went wrong here. When seeds first crack their shells they are extremely fragile. Could you have damaged them then?
    The way I do it is wait until there is a good bit of tap root protruding from the seed. I then make a small hollow in the surface of the soil with my finger and lay the seed on its side in the hole. I handle the seed as little as possible. I use kitchen roll and turn the seed upside down over the hole so I do not touch it with my fingers. I then gently close the soil over the top. I never push the seed into the soil.
    Also, if the soil is already damp, there should be enough moisture there for the seedling to pop its head up. There is no need to water the pot automatically. Water when it needs it.
    Normally, if the seed has cracked OK then the seedling will sprout. Just try again.
    As for smells and odours... Make sure you have good ventilation and consider where the vent exit is. A charcoal filter is the best method and these can be bought fairly cheaply online. There are some strains that are known for having a low odour. Browse through the strains here and read about their particular properties. Maybe some of our other member can recommend specific strains.
    Sorry I can't help more with your failed germination, but it's hard to see what went wrong. Try again, you'll get there eventually.

Comment

Northern Lights is always a good choice for anyone just starting out - especially indoors.

It's easy, relatively fast, doesn't have a very strong smell & it was developed specifically for indoors.

You can find lots of variations on Northern Lights by many different breeders as well as Northern Lights hybrids.

Still, get the carbon filter - they're fairly cheap & you can even find fan/filter combos.

Comment

Best advice I can give you is shit happens when your growing weed.

Comment

How long was the tap root when you planted the cracked seed? I always wait until it's at least an inch long and starting to develop filaments. I have had a similar problem in the past when I have tried to plant the seed too soon. Could that be it?

Comment

I just went thru this also, with a couple of seeds, and had them too wet. So I let them dry out a~little, and the tap root got longer. When I transferred them to soil, I first planted them to deep, and lost them from to much watering. so I started new ones. I waited for that tap root to get about a half inch long, and planted them, a (half inch) down in the soil, with the tap root facing down. I made sure that I covered them in loose, sifted soil, and just scooted the soil over the top of them, gently. And did not push it down on the seed. 3 days later they popped~up. I guess if you started them to deep, and to wet, chances are, they won't make it. So keep trying, and not so deep, or wet. It's an easy process, if you do it right. It took me twice to get it right, because I got in a hurry, and didn't pay attention to what I was doing. Good Luck.
            DSCN1963.jpg Eldorado Day 2

Comment

Germinating

I agree with the others here. Let the root get at least half an inch. Don't plant them as soon as you see the root tip, as they need to develop a little first. When I plant new seeds, I usually only scoop out enough soil to allow the seed to fit into the hole, and then gently place the soil I scooped out over the top of the seed. You SHOULD see the sprouts within 2 to 5 days at the most. You also may want to try gently scraping away the soil over the seed and see if it is growing. This may give you a chance to save the seed.

Comment

This last time, I caught myself probing down, looking 4 the seed too. ha ha. Sure enough it was on it's way. That's funny, I was thinking "you can't do this, your going to kill it".
                Last edited by Blaze4daze; 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X