Flushing Plants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing Plants

Hello everyone,.. my plants are going on 5-weeks old growing in soil,.. and I need some advice on giving them there first really good flush,.. I just repotted into larger pots and figure to give them a good flush as well.

Is it best to do this first thing in the morning,.. and should I use 3-times the pot size per gal of water used,... like a 3-gal planter use 9- gal water to flush?

Thanks in advance for any advice,.. cheers
    Last edited by Braegnok; 03-21-2014, 04:26 PM.

You shouldn't have to flush unless there is a problem, can't fix a problem if there is no problem. Especially since you just repotted them you should just give a normal watering now and thats it. Flushing is done to get rid of nutrient buildup in your soil aka salt buildup or the plant itself is showing signs of stress you should do a good flushing.

Comment

Thanks KW,.. I was thinking perhaps some nutrient buildup would be in root ball from original smaller pot that I never flushed,.. and wanted to make Shure no air pockets are in new pot,.. plants are looking nice no stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Braegnok View Post
        Hello everyone,.. my plants are going on 5-weeks old growing in soil,.. and I need some advice on giving them there first really good flush,.. I just repotted into larger pots and figure to give them a good flush as well.

Is it best to do this first thing in the morning,.. and should I use 3-times the pot size per gal of water used,... like a 3-gal planter use 9- gal water to flush?

Thanks in advance for any advice,.. cheers
        Braegnok!

Yes, three times the container size of water, when you flush and in the morning is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazd4Daz View Post
          Braegnok!

Yes, three times the container size of water, when you flush and in the morning is the best.
          Thanks Blazd,..

I thought 9 gal was a lot of water,.. needed to confirm amount with you guys before doing anything that sounds crazy,.. hell of a way to wake the girls up in the morning.. lol
          Last edited by Braegnok; 03-22-2014, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Braegnok View Post
            Thanks Blazd,..

I thought 9 gal was a lot of water,.. needed to confirm amount with you guys before doing anything that sounds crazy,.. hell of a way to wake the girls up in the morning.. lol
            Braegnok!

My last grow I used 10 gal aero~bags (fabric air pots) and flushed 30 gallons of water thru them, Plants love water. I do wait till mid morning when the sun is out and it has warmed~up a bit.

5 gallon buckets for this grow, tho. Because of the coverage area of the light. A~bit easier getting 4 plants to fit under the light with a tad smaller containers, for best results.

I've even stuck the garden hose in my containers before, for like 10 minutes, for each container to flush em real good. I dug out and built a storm drainage canal that runs across the top of my property here, that catches the storm run~off from the canyons above, from flooding my cabin and shop, below. I set a plank across the canal and put my plants on the plank and stick the hose in each container and let in run in them, I also hose down the colas real good while I'm doing the final flush. By afternoon, their pretty well drained and don't need water again for like 4~5 days from that kind of a flush. I do have 7~8, 1/2in holes, drilled around the outside bottom of the buckets, to insure good drainage from them. The plants just love water and it didn't hurt them a~bit.
            Last edited by Blaze4daze; 03-22-2014, 01:25 PM.

Comment

So, if I understand you guy's you take them outside to flush? I have a convenient situation whereas mine(TW) is in the shower so flushing is easy. My others are not so convenient. I have a question, when should you flush one in the stage of flowering? I have read that towards the end you want to flush the nasties out but when is "towards the end"? - slo-han

Comment

Last 2 weeks of flowering before you intend to harvest there slo-han. And i use a old rack from a oven to sit across a rubbermaid tote when i water my ladies but its easy for me cause i only have 2 plants to tend to.

Comment

Slo, I've even heard of one grower that I actually met, that says he flushes his plants, every two weeks, takes them out in his driveway and flushes with the garden hose to get ride of any salt build~up from the nutes he feeds. A~bit extreme if you ask me. Every grower does things a~little different, I guess.

Another grower that I know, told me the secret to the great flavor in some of the coffee shops in Amsterdam, is because they flush their plants 3 weeks before harvest to get the best flavor possible in their buds, for their customers.

I flushed my last plant 3 weeks before harvest, just to try it and that plant tasted pretty darn good, it worked great for me. Good enough, that I'm gonna final flush 3 weeks before harvest on my next 4 plants.

Comment

OK, so how do I know when it's time to do the three weeks before harvest? I have always been an outsider so inside growing is new to me. I can do outside and do good with the preparation of soil and "stuff" but joined here to get a handle on the inside thing. Growing once a year is not a good idea any more - to much stash hanging around

Comment

Originally posted by slo-han View Post
                      OK, so how do I know when it's time to do the three weeks before harvest? I have always been an outsider so inside growing is new to me. I can do outside and do good with the preparation of soil and "stuff" but joined here to get a handle on the inside thing. Growing once a year is not a good idea any more - to much stash hanging around
                      Slo!

If you know what strain you are growing, you can read the strain description of that strain, goggle it and that will tell you approximately how long that strain takes to flower. If it says for instance, Flowering time 9~11 weeks, then you'll want to final flush end of week 8, that's 3 weeks before that strain finishes. If you choose to final flush 3 weeks before the plant finishes.

If you don't know what strain you are growing then you'll want to check your tric s and final flush your plant when they start to turn cloudy, from clear, that should be close to 3 weeks before they reach 60% amber colored, a rough calculation, I know but close enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X