Skinny weak stems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny weak stems?

I just started the veg stage with my plants about 5-6 inches tall now at around 7-8 inches the tops are too heavy to stand up straight and keep falling over. Am I watering too much? I can never seem to get my plants more then 7 or 8 inches before they fall over I just don't know what I'm doing wrong any ideas?

Airflow

If the plants are bending because the roots are coming up, you may be watering heavy, if the stems are just thin you just increase airflow the stems will turn to stalks, the plant fiber is like your muscles if you make them move and work out then they will get thicker and be able to support more weight, tie the plants to a bamboo rod or thin rod and put a fan on them!

Comment

Hi. DirtyDishes is right. An oscillating fan will make your stems sway and move and that will make them stronger. Am also wondering if you are in soil or hydro. If you water soil pots from the top the roots are not encouraged to go down, instead they come up to look for the water. If it is soil, try watering from the bottom.

Comment

They are in soil but I am watering from the bottom and letting the water absorb up to the plants roots. the tops are very healthy just heavy i guess i'm going to give that a try and up the fan speed a little after giving them some support. as far as the watering i was water about 7-8oz every morning when i turn on the lights I'm now cutting that in half and watering 7-8oz every 2 days and adjust according to how they react. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

keep the light as low as possible will help strengthen the stalk also, the joy of cfl if you're using them is you can keep them really close to.

Comment

Working...
          X