Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.hightimes.com/read/nicos-...d-grow-systems

Comment

Thanks for that link, Katzie. About covers the subject completely, except thermal management. At least one of my LED's, The Spectrum King, true 250 wt. from SupergrowLED.com gives that white full spectrum light, my other 1200 wt'er has the blues, reds and composites w/the whites, Some full spectrum light there too, wheeww!

$3000 for the good ones, for bigger grows more than 4~6 plants, that's nuts.

Now I kinda wish I would have studied Botany and Photobiology when I was younger and kept myself updated, then again I didn't know I would be a mom and pop outfit type cannabis grower after I retired either. The mom part (my wifey) stays out of it, ha ha. God bless her heart, she puts up with it though.

Comment

You're welcome bud i figured someone would find it interesting besides me lol

Comment

Gotta try to stay current on our lighting choice, is all. LED lighting has been good to me so far. Growing with them, 2 going on 3 years now, plus the sun, lol. Any info for us LED growers is all good.

Comment

Guy's I have to say I agree, that each year will bring better and stronger LED's lights. I know we don't allow people to advertise or sell anything here, but when you come across a company that backs up everything they say, and have employee's that are totally awesome, you just have to say something. I am talking about the good people over at Super grow LED's! I know that everybody has their favorite with all the LED's out there, but what happens after the sale? I have 2-250 wt. Spectrum Kings that I purchased last year and was pleased with my first grow with them. Towards the end of that grow one of the lights had a block in them that was not firing well. It would only light up half of the block most times. When I called Rob, one of the owner's at the company, he said box it up and I will E-mail you a return postage label and take to fedex for shipping. Before I could get this out to fedex for shipping a new light was at my door step. We are talking about a timeframe of 3 day's! I was blown away that someone would send me and expensive new light before getting the old one first! About two weeks later my second light had a block do the same thing? A little embarrassed,Rob Said they had about a half a dozen come back with this same problem and thought that all had been repaired, but for the same person to have had 2of them! Not only did Rob send me another new light, he also repaired my old light and sent it back to me for free to use as a spare or to use now for a greater footprint! I was blown away! Not only have they given me a free 250 wt Supergrow LED's, but they have also paid all the shipping back and forth! Rob's other partner is Mike in California. He is the growing half of the partnership while Rob is the light Designer. These guy's take you from seed to flower and everything in between. Anyway...............that's my 2 cents worth. Give these guy's a try! Later, Mega

Comment

Those Spectrum Kings are too expensive for my blood that is for sure. And since its in the US it would cost me even more considering the lame canadian $ is worth nothing practically in the States

Comment

I hear you, they are not cheap! These links you have shared are great and much appreciated! Mega

Comment

You're all welcome

Comment

Not promoting these lights but i just dont see them anywhere else but here in Canada, they done up a site strictly for led canada's new MCOB LED series that has videos of test grows with other LED's too

http://www.mcobgrowlights.com/our-blog/

Comment

First post...

Having grown casually in the past, both indoors and outdoors, I've now invested in a 1 x 1 x 2m grow tent. In the past heat was always my main problem growing indoors using HPS, so I've been doing some research and following developments in LED lighting for the past year or so. The truth is that publicly there has not been much visible change over the last year. At the moment and for at least the past year, without a doubt--in my opinion--the Spectrum King sk450s are head and shoulders above the rest (I think they first appeared in mid to late 2013, although I could be wrong about that). I'm really curious why the other manufacturers, many of them no doubt larger companies, insist on fan-cooled fixtures--this, to me as an electronic engineer is nothing less than bad thermal management; and every fan is a potential point of failure that should not exist. Also, in my view any MCOB LEDs will always be inferior to single diodes, again for thermal management reasons, which seems to cancel out most of the others anyway as far as I can see. This, and the fans, are why they issue (usually) only 1 or 2 year warranties. The only fanless LEDs I can find at the moment are the Spectrum Kings--which also seem to be about the only true full-spectrum LEDs currently available. They are expensive, although by no means the most expensive (which is also strange...), and the warranty and reviews are impressive. So--barring major developments between now & the beginning of April when they have new inventory--the Spectrum Kings are looking the way forward as things stand for me.

The one drawback as far as these are concerned is that I live in Central Europe, so shipping is always going to be a drag. But, only the best...

On their website they claim there is no temperature increase 12" from source. Could those who own Spectrum Kings--e.g., MegaNute & Saturnalia--confirm or deny this?

For other growers who are using LEDs from other manufacturers, how is the heat from these at a similar distance from source?

Appreciate all responses, thanks guys.

PL.

Comment

Quote (from the article): This is why the best LED lamps on the market are approaching $3,000.

See my previous post. Having spent most of the last year researching and observing LED developments, the full-spectrum Spectrum King sk450s are without a doubt the current leaders as far as quality of design and thermal management go. And they don't approach $1000, never mind $3000 (currently $867). I'm curious if the writer of this article did any research whatsoever aside from a 10-minute Google search.

Comment

Well i say not for long there 2 post PapaLaz and then never heard from again LoL The new MCOB type LED panels look to be killer in my eyes

http://ledcanada.com.previewdns.com/growthstar.html

Comment

I just picked up an older Apollo 400 watt, 90 bucks! I was going to wait until fall, but this was in my local resale shop and I am sure it would get snatched up over the summer... Could not resist it 90 bucks for a 400 watt full spectrum light. I know it is not the latest greatest, but even Amazon was listing them at closer to 200 dollars, for the price, I could not walk away. I am still going to look for another one and I suspect I will be able to find a similar deal along the way. Same with any electronics these days, 3 or 4 models old will be deep discounted. Now, what was all that OTHER stuff I have to remember, that goes along with LED growing... Nutrients, height, , hmm, might have to do a test SOG with some clones over the summer, just to test it out

Comment

Been discussing the led thing w/ my partner and he is starting to ask a bunch of questions concerning heat and electrical draw - he is starting to understand what I've been telling him and he wants to do a few grows and then invest - things are looking up - slo

Comment

That MCOB light sounds very tempting! For the price, I am game!

Comment

Working...
                                X