Cheap lighting setup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap lighting setup?

Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of light setup and bulbs I should use if I am not trying to spend more than $100? (also I plan on growing 1-3 plants in a closet)

I'm using a Sunblaster 125w 6400K, 8750 lumens self ballasted grow lamp with a reflector in a small closet. Just started will see how it goes.

Comment

It's not an easy thing to do for less than $100. And the setup described by Katzie_Wolf71 is certainly not in that price range. I just checked and the bulb alone for that is more than $100. Here is something to remember about growing indoors with cheap lights. Your plants will become elongated, too tall, trying to reach what lumens you're providing. I know too many folks who think a regular 60W bulb will be enough. "Hey it's light" is the way they think.

I have had some success with indoor growing using all kinds of lights from 48" shop floros' to a big 400W MH with a ballast. The later being a setup a friend loaned to me as I didn't have the cash back then to spring for it. The small floros I used were around $100 with the fixtures and I bought some special sun spectrum bulbs. I used two of these in a small 30" x 84" closet. It worked and the lights didn't build up excessive heat like the MH setup did. But I could always see that the plants were weak and struggling for more light. Still it did work.

Now, the best grows I've ever had were done in direct sunlight. There is nothing like the sun, especially for less than $100. If you're stuck to growing indoors then you will really need to research and study on the best lighting setup especially on that kind of budget. Just remember, it takes about 4 months to do a good grow. And if you use cheap, weak lights you'll waste all that time and end up with headache weed. Just my 2ยข worth. Also, being indoors and limited lighting, you may want to consider the Scrog method of growing.

Oh yes, I should mention there is the method I used for that 400W MH setup. Find a friend who owns one and borrow it. That's less than $100 but that light probably used $100 worth of electricity during the grows I did with it. Especially during the veg stages and it was on 24/7.
      Last edited by BillyHill; 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I paid just over $64 for that light and the joy of the compact florescent is you can havle the light practically touching the plant and it wont harm it. I have a reflector that i got from a friend and paid nothing for it. Only problem i am having is a bit of problem is keeping the humidity where i want it. But i think i might have figured that out. So far so good.

Comment

My baby

My baby that will be 3 weeks old on the 28th since i transplanted it.

my baby.jpg

Comment

LED light is the best , but the price depends on what kinds of light or how big it is . we launching light , integrated led 50W each, and 2x50w is $88 each. a new nice one to try.

Comment

7 weeks old

Be switching to bud cycle soon that's 7 weeks old right from when it sprouted from seed.

Katzie 2-20130126-00415.jpg
              Last edited by Katzie_Wolf71; 01-27-2013, 06:48 AM.

Comment

IMG-20130214-00470.jpg

Vipar A100 LED Panel with a 200W Flowering CFL

10 Weeks since it sprouted from seed.

2nd Week into 12/12.

Comment

Working...
                X