Epsom Salts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epsom Salts

Can anybody tell me more about epson salts/ Why should I use them? Should I use them throughout the grow or just for flowering? How much do I need to use?
    I have done a bit of reading but thought I should ask you guys for more info.

Hi Dreadzone
    Epsom salts is Manganesium sulphate. This will provide magnesium to your plants in a way that is easy for them to assimilate.
    Magnesium's main function for your plants is to assist in photosynthesis, it is also used in the synthesis of sugars, the assimilation of iron and the movement of starches. Your plants need for magnesium increases throughout its life as the plant gets bigger. There will be a peak in magnesium requirement at around three weeks into flowering.
    When growing in soil in the outdoors there should be no need for magnesium as there will be plentiful supplies of trace elements for your plant and their extended root networks will be able to reach it. When growing in soil in pots however it is possible for the plant to use up available supplies and then your plant may exhibit a magnesium deficiency. This is normally indicated by a distinctive yellowing of the lower leaves. The yellowing is not uniform across the leaf but is centered on the spaces between the veins. The leaf veins will remain dark green, causing a distinctive pattern.

Magnesium deficiency is easily treated at the first symptoms by applying a foliar feed made of 1 teaspoon of Epsom salts to 1 litre of water. Mix the salts with hot water to ensure that it all dissolves and then wait for it to cool. As with all foliar sprays, administer it just after lights out to prevent leaf burn, or worse, popping a light!
    If your plant is already well into flower and you do not wish to apply a foliar feed you can make a mix to add to the soil. This will still work but may take a little longer to see results.
    You should be sure to check and adjust the ph of your mix.
    I have heard of people using Epsom salts in hydro systems but I find it easier to use CalMag as the Magnesium works closely in relationship with calcium. Calcium ppm should be around double the magnesium ppm and CalMag does this for you. If you experience symptoms of mag deficiency in a hydro set up and don’t have any CalMag to hand then you can apply a foliar feed as mentioned above.
    Attached Files

Comment

Any nutrient mix worth it's salts (please forgive pun, lol) will be having ample mg. in the macro nutrients, check your bottle and look for Mg., this is what the epsom salts is providing for people using nutrient without it, back in the late 1990's none of the pre~bought hydro formulas had any Mg. in it at all, so growers got Mg. deficiency and the solution was 1 tspn. per 5 gallon in your reservoir or nutrient feed once per month.
      Last edited by Blaze4daze; 11-07-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Interesting thread. To add to this, for anybody that does not use CalMag or can't get it, you can make a good cheap calcium substitute from egg shells. Just give them a rinse and then chop them up quite finely. You can use a grinder or food processor but I have done it with just a knife. If you then soak them in a jar of water all the bits of snot and membrane will float to the top. Change the water a few times until you are satisfied they are clean and then dry them off on a baking tray in a warm oven. You can then pummel the dried shells with a mortar and pestle until you have a fine powder. This is almost pure calcium (about 90%+). Sprinkle a good handful into your soil and you will never have calcium deficiency problems.
        I have also heard of people soaking egg shells in water for a few days and then using this to water the plants. Not sure how much cal this actually creates but I know some people who swear by it.

Comment

Hi Dreadzone

Almost all plants need vitamins and minerals like magnesium and sulfur to stay in good health as well as Epsom salt makes the principal nutrients in many plant foods (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) more efficient. Sprinkle Epsom sodium once weekly to aid nourish your houseplants, blossoms and vegetables.
          Magnesium sulfate crystals, when added to the soil, provide vital nutrients that help prevent yellowing leaves and the losing of green color (magnesium is usually an essential element within the chlorophyll molecule) throughout plants. Add 2 tablespoons regarding Epsom salt to some gallon of mineral water and sprinkle on the lawn to maintain the grass healthy as well as green.

Comment

Working...
          X