Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feminized Seeds...really that much more desireable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feminized Seeds...really that much more desireable?

I am a newbie. I know females are the ones that produce the smokables. But would only female plants desirable, really? Don't they flower once and then die? Or are they perennial plants and flower forever? Does pollination really affect anything? Or are seed providers using feminized as a lure to the general populous for higher yield for your buck and in turn forcing you to buy more seeds because you can never get your girls to seed?

Same here.

Comment

Cannabis plants are annuals. The females are pollinated by the males, they produce seed and then die back in the winter.
      People grow seedless weed (and have done for a long long time) because when the female remains unpollinated she puts all of her energy into producing flowers rather than seeds. It's the female flowers that make the buds which are the best smoke. If a plant becomes pollinated and produces seeds it is a perfectly good smoke, just not as good or potent as the seedless. Seedless weed is known as sensimelia which literally means, without seed.
      You can smoke males if you choose but the effects are very mild and nobody does it.

Comment

i got some of the auto-flower and feminized seeds this last week and going to give them a try, but i agree, you just need to raise a good mother plant and you're set up from now on.
        gary

Comment

Fems also remove the need for sexing, something that new growers can find daunting. Also, you know that your 5 seeds will make 5 female plants. It removes the lottery of getting 5 seeds and having 2-3 males and then losing them, wasting several weeks of light, space and feeding.
          As shineman says, if you can get and keep a decent mother the whole thing becomes a moot point as all the babies are girls and the process becomes self sustaining.

Comment

one question saturnalia, i have 2fast comming up now and i have some males from an indica strain that i am going to pull and i was wondering if i put one with one of the 2fast strain do you think that the seeds will be any good. i really don't care if the results are auto flowering but i do want to have some seeds from this strain. i grow indoors but i have a quarantine room that i use for my clones that i can keep the plants separated. after looking thru the forum i found out that i can't clone the auto so this is my only hope now. what's your opinion.
            gary

Comment

Hey Gary.
              Not sure how it would go. Always worth a punt.
              To confer autoflowering traits auto plants are backcrossed for several generations to try and make them stable. I think your seeds may have a lot of different phenotypes with varying flowering periods. But that's just a guess. Would be really interested to hear how it goes if you go for it.

Comment

i'm just going to let this one finish on it's own, and after i see how the auto grows then i will probably give it a try with a querkle male.
                gary

Comment

I have a question. If I raise a feminized plant, and it gets pollinated and make seeds, the seeds will all be female???

Comment

Hi RGB. The seeds will not all be female. You should get around 50/50 male/female. If the male parent is a different strain than the mother then you will likely get quite a range of phenotypes in the offspring. To create a good hybrid strain you need to selectively breed for the required traits over a few generations. It would definitely be worth doing to see what you get, it's just that the results won't be uniform.
                    If this is something you are going to do then maybe start a thread about it so we can all see. My answers are theoretical in that I have read all about this but not done it myself. Would be interested to see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X