New to growing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schmokin View Post
    Hi Ratt. These look very good. Another round of topping will definitely bush them out. Be ready for the stretch when you change the lighting though. They're going to grow a lot. Sat's a big fan of super cropping and that would be a good option to keep the size down. However, if it seems a bit harsh to you, try some gentle LST by tying the branches down a bit. Be aware of what the maximum height you can let your plants go to is, taking into account how far below the lights the tips will need to be. My guess is that these will at least double in size, maybe more.
    Thanks for the input. Height is not a problem other than if they outgrow what the lights put out, my ceiling is 8' and I planned on pulling them off the milk crates when they stretch. I am attempting to root some clones right now to keep the process going, they seem to be doing ok after a few days. I topped the girls again also, I believe the leaves I am loosing on the bottoms of the plants are from lack of light due to the tops getting bushy. I have been able to keep the temps between 75-84 without AC and humidity is good with the evap cooler in there. I am picking up some flowering ferts (Alaska more bloom 0-10-10) for when I go to 12-12. I'm thinking another month to let them bush out more before switching over. I think I would have to put some boards on the floor with cup hooks to tie down the branches for LST. I don't want to tie them to the milk crates because if I need to remove them it would be a pain. I'll figure something out.
    Last edited by Ratt; 09-25-2018, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Did my last FIMing and topping, plan on giving one last feeding of veg food to help them recover, then I'll go to 12/12.

Comment

The girls don't seem to be fazed at all after topping and FIMing, switched to 12/12 today and gave last veg food. Tomorrow is 9 weeks and I'll get my weekly pic up then.

Comment

I'm happy with the shape, might do some LST when they start to stretch 9 weeks in soil today. A couple months to go I guess. I am pleased with them so far for my first grow.

Comment

Bushy girls!

Comment

Nice work Ratt. LST will also help with getting light to the lower limbs. Boards is a good idea. Or just weights on the floor to attach the strings to. A lot of growers just use a wire or duct tape around the top of the pot.
              If you do use hooks in a board on the floor you could tighten the strings incrementally over the course of a few days to totally minimise the stress.

Comment

• Ratt
                Ratt commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I have some pipe cleaners I was thinking about putting around the branches loosely and tying the strings to that. Picked up a box of cup hooks and I have plenty of scrap wood laying around so I think I will go that route. They are taking up most of the room under the 4' lights already so I'm kinda concerned about spreading them out beyond the ends of the lights, but I guess I'll see how they react to it. They seem to be happy and growing well, which is why I decided it was time to switch over the lights.

This is how I have my lights set up at the moment. I am considering spacing out the horizontal lights further to improve the coverage. I have 8 LED lights in a 19" wide mount over the plants and 5 lights on the side light. I was looking at a similar fluorescent fixture with 8 lights that is 26" wide. I don't rely on any reflection due to the directionality of the LED lights but I think they could benefit from a wider coverage area. Any thoughts?

Comment

Success! Proof positive that I will listen to people that have greater knowledge about how to make clones. There may be hope for me yet.

Comment

Week 10, they haven't started to get taller yet but the tops seem to be filling out. Everything seems to be working well at the moment.

Comment

Guess it's a good thing no one is recommending that I need to change what I am doing...

Comment

How long should I keep feeding veg nutes before switching over to bloom nutes?

Comment

These look great!
                        Surely you could increase the footprint a little by raising your side lighting panel to a shallower angle...?
                        Clones look amazing too. I love it when it all works out!
                        Being as size is already a thing for your plants I would switch feed straight away. You can continue with some N for the first couple of weeks if you like, but this will just encourage more stretch. If it were me I would switch now and concentrate everything on growing flowers.

Comment

Week 11 in soil, 2 weeks on flower schedule. 26" tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmokin View Post
                            These look great!
                            Surely you could increase the footprint a little by raising your side lighting panel to a shallower angle...?
                            Clones look amazing too. I love it when it all works out!
                            Being as size is already a thing for your plants I would switch feed straight away. You can continue with some N for the first couple of weeks if you like, but this will just encourage more stretch. If it were me I would switch now and concentrate everything on growing flowers.
                            Thank you. I plan on raising 3 more plants next time so I will move the side light then. I have over 20 rose bushes I take care of, so I am used to trimming and fussing over them. I have limited funds to buy lights so I am just trying to get the most I can out of a cheap setup. I have to figure out how to light the clones separately and the desk lamp I am using has a momentary switch, so I can't run a timer on it and I am running them at 24 hrs of light. All the clones I cut rooted, I was amazed.

Comment

I looked up this strain on the nursery's site I purchased it from and it is common for it to grow to 7 feet outdoor and 4 feet indoor so the girls are doing what comes naturally to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X