New to growing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to growing

Finished my 6' X 6' X 8' grow room a couple months ago, starting with 3 Chemdawg 4 clones under full spectrum LED lights. Using potting soil, they have been in it 3 weeks now and are about 10.5 inches tall. I'm here to learn.

Welcome Ratt. I hope we can help you with your journey.
    What lights do you have?
    Would be cool to see some pics.

Comment

Welcome Ratt, you need to feed or get them girls in something a bit richer a better soil.

Comment

I am feeding them, a little too much nitrogen from the reaction of the plants, I have some clawing, but I plan on flushing the pots when thy dry out a bit. I am also waiting for them to get a bit larger before transferring them to 12" terra cotta pots. I am using Kellogg organic raised bed/potting soil with added vermiculite for drainage. It has all kinds of good stuff like bat guano in it. I do have one problem child that isn't trying to bush out much, not sure why. Using 5 4' T8 24W full spectrum LED lights for now.
        Last edited by Ratt; 08-21-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Week 4 now, plants are about 12". I stunted them a bit by using aquarium water thinking it had enough nutes, but the pH was way acidic and I didn't think to check it first, lesson learned. They seem much happier now.

Comment

You’re getting a lot of stretch. You may need to put the light closer. Just make sure it’s not too close. Also make sure you have a fan blowing a light breeze on them. That’ll help thicken the main stalk up and keep the air circulating.

Comment

• Ratt
              Ratt commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a fan on them for air circulation. I just changed out the lights to 4 5000K LED tubes and I am planning on using the wide spectrum lights as supplemental to them. The old fixture I built had worn out tombstones so I am in the process of building a new one with more bulbs in it, 4 5000K, 4 full spectrum.

Looking good Ratt. I agree with jwm2 on the stretch. Personally I would consider training at this stage. a. to use the space better and b. because I love to train plants. You could either top them or just bend them over with some LST.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnalia View Post
              Looking good Ratt. I agree with jwm2 on the stretch. Personally I would consider training at this stage. a. to use the space better and b. because I love to train plants. You could either top them or just bend them over with some LST.
              I have topped all 3 recently and I have transplanted them into 12" terra cotta pots. These don't have opposing leaf pairs, for whatever reason, so I just trimmed the stem above a node. I finished building my new light fixture so I am using all 8 lights now. Only one had roots to the bottom of the smaller pots, so they weren't root bound.

Comment

Looking great Ratt. The alternating leaf pairs is because, as clones, they are already mature, despite their size.
                Did you manage to decrease the stretch? Once you flip the lights they really will stretch so best to try and keep them as tight as possible for now. How far above the tips is the light?

Comment

Looking great Ratt. The alternating leaf pairs is because, as clones, they are already mature, despite their size.
                  Did you manage to decrease the stretch? Once you flip the lights they really will stretch so best to try and keep them as tight as possible for now. How far above the tips is the light?
                  They seem to be filling out more. Lights are about 8" away, no heat coming from them. I am having some kind of nutes problem, I believe it is nitrogen, yellow leaves. I was not giving them a full strength mixture, just a "daily watering" concentration. I fed them today hoping for some improvement. Today is 7 weeks from when I planted the clones. I'll get some pics up soon. I also picked up a window AC unit I am going to install because I just can't keep the temps down with the evap cooler even with ice in it. It is blowing humid air on them though.

Comment

Current situation.

Comment

They look amazing. When you going to flip the lights? If it were me I'd be supercropping those girls right about now.

Comment

They look amazing. When you going to flip the lights? If it were me I'd be supercropping those girls right about now.
                        I am going to top them again and try to make some clones before I switch to 12/12. From what I have read chemdawg 4 has a tendency to stretch, so that might help some. They are much happier with the 8 daylight LED bulbs now, still not very bushy but that is all the lights I can afford. They are about 22" tall now, 8 weeks in soil, and I'll get my weekly progress pics posted in a little while. I'll look into supercropping.

Comment

Getting better, topping again soon and time for more nutes. 8 weeks in soil.

Comment

Hi Ratt. These look very good. Another round of topping will definitely bush them out. Be ready for the stretch when you change the lighting though. They're going to grow a lot. Sat's a big fan of super cropping and that would be a good option to keep the size down. However, if it seems a bit harsh to you, try some gentle LST by tying the branches down a bit. Be aware of what the maximum height you can let your plants go to is, taking into account how far below the lights the tips will need to be. My guess is that these will at least double in size, maybe more.

Comment

Working...
                            X