No announcement yet.

New grower looking for advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Kbag you got me rethinking my set up I was checking out HTG supply's and found me a grow tent that will accommodate how I want to set up my lighting after all your guys information I decided to go with a 47"x47"x79" with my math gives me over 100 cubic feet. My thing is the same question should I go with a 6" that has a CFM of 424 or should I go with the 4" with a CFM of 170? Also what should I do about the intake should I use a fan there also or could I just open a flap? Also with the a grow bright 4" high velocity fan will I need a muffler on it if it is in my closet? Also I was checking HTG and was wondering if anyone has tried Premier Pro mix HP plus? An if so is it any good and do you need to add extra perlite to it or does it have good drainage?
    Last edited by DarkLotus760; 09-26-2014, 05:08 PM.

Comment

A six inch fan would be my choice on the extraction and is plenty for that size of tent. Personally i do not like my fans inside the tent. The 4" fan i was on about was for your intake. Yes atm i just open my flap for intake but in the summer i use my inline fan for intake it really depends on my temps to how i work it but atleast you are not restricted to one option.
      Yes i did think the depth was a little small on the other tent but its what suits you and the space you have to work with. Some inline fans can be quiet noisy but there are ways to lesson that.
      Where i am most growers opt for the ruk inline fans german made but i think they are loud. I have vent axia i think they are quieter but are expensive.
      You may well need the muffler but you could order that if you need it also you might need acoustic fan ducting.

It can be a expensive hobby it is very addictive and i love the growing nearly as much as i do smoking it.
      Last edited by kbag; 09-26-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• DarkLotus760
        DarkLotus760 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Kbag Just wondering since you seem to have quiet a bit experience indoor growing and such my question is have you or anybody else on here bought or know anyone that has bought one of those complete grow kits from HTG supply's? I'm just wondering if that would be a better way to go instead of doing like Frankenstein and creating my own monster that consist of different pieces?

I have only ever done 2 grows indoors but have learnt a awful lot in that time. I actually started of with a complete kit i really wish i had not the only thing i use of it now is the tent and tbh i do not like that.
      My friend has grown for years indoors and advised me to buy quality and sent me links on separate gear but my impatience got the better of me.
      The worse thing was the magnetic ballast it got that hot you could burn your hand on it. I have had a look on HTG hope i got the right site the tents do not look to bad at all.

Ok some advice on what to get If your budget allows for it get a 600w dimmable digital ballast this will allow you to run your bulb at 50% 75% 100% i have lumatek one what allows me to run a 600w bulb 750w setting or a 1000w or with super lumens making it about 1050w.
      For the reflector look at air cooled if your worried about temps, if not a very good reflector and cheap is the Extrasun Aluminium 2 winged reflector.
      You will also need a heavy duty timer for your light a timer for your fans.
      EC pen for measuring nutes a PH pen these are a must. Theres a cheap ec wand but good one on ebay Digital TRUNCHEON EC/PPM/CF Nutrient Meter Tester Wand.
      yoyo hangers rope ratchet ones can hold a lot of weight.
      Then you need pots drip trays a substrate to grow them in, nutrients so many different brands out there but basically all do the same sort of products.
      I think i have covered the majority of it.
      Last edited by kbag; 09-27-2014, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• DarkLotus760
        DarkLotus760 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Kbag my budget is kind of tight but I was thinking of going with a Earth Worth 400 watt Hydro Hippo grow light kit dual bulb system check it out and let me know what you think. Will this lighting be ok for the size tent I am going to be using or should I look else where for a different lighting system? Also what are drip trays for and a substrate? I am looking to grow my plants from start to finish in a single pot without having to transplant them at all. As for the yoyo hanger's I am already on top of that I no I am going to need those to hang everything and they need to be strong so nothing falls. The yoyo hangers I found are strong each single yoyo holds 75 lbs. and together hold 150 lbs.
        Last edited by DarkLotus760; 09-27-2014, 05:58 AM.

As i mentioned not a fan of kits but we are all governed by our budget. The yoyo hangers on that kit only hold 5kg i much prefer the rope ratchet type. The cooltube is good for keeping temps down and it has a digital ballast another +.
      Whilst searching this kit i came across a similar kit Yield Lab 400w HPS+MH Cool Tube Hood Reflector Grow Light Kit it is roughly the same sort of price by what i have found but has the rope ratchet yoyos a dimmable digital ballast with a 3 year warranty and they also give their bulbs a year warranty. I am not recommending either as i have no experience with these makes but i do like the idea of the warranty on the ballast and bulbs of the yield make. The one i was looking at i found on Amazon.

Comment

You only have 56 cubic feet there, I would go with the 4" system and save a few bucks.
        JMO, Mike
        Last edited by oleman; 09-27-2014, 02:02 PM. Reason: This is regarding your 1st tent size.

Comment

I am not great at maths but i make it 100 cubic feet. I must admit i do over compensate for extraction but there is several reason's for this you have to add 30% for your carbon scrubber, air cooled hood, ducting how long a run bends etc will all make a lot difference.
          Then you have your optimum growing temp 82f we all try to aim for this. Now your Ambient intake temperature plays a big part on the amount of CFM you need to move to change your air in your room every 3 minutes. This is a guide i use to try and work out what size extraction fan i need.

Op temp =82 - Amb 72= 10f now your total wattage added up thats everything you have running example cfm= 3x500w /10 =150CFM.
          Now if your ambient rises:
          Op temp 82-78 =4 cfm=3x500 /4 =375CFM

This is not my guide but a guide i found researching during my temperature struggles in the summer. All the factors above play a big part in your extraction i guess thats why a lot of people opt for a fan controller unfortunately i do not have one. I use my ballast to drop the wattage when things get real hot not the best options i know but saves roasting your plants.
          On my last grow i hit temps of 40C at one time not good at all.

oh if you want to use this in Celsius its 1.75 x wattage. Total wattage is not just your light but everything you have running.
          Last edited by kbag; 09-27-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

So I was wondering how many organic growers are out there and where should I go to get my nutrients? I checked out a place called General Hydroponics and it has a Go Box which includes: (1) 16oz Bio Thrive Grow / (1) 16oz Bio Thrive Bloom(1) 8oz Ca Mg+ / (1) 8oz Bio Root / (1) 8oz Bio Weed, (1) 8oz Bio Bud / (1) 8oz Bio Marine / (1) 8oz Diamond Black. Would this be good to start with or would I be better off getting these things in gallons? So I was checking out the feeding chart instructions but my question is everyone says to cut back on nutrients when you first give so the regular does for the first week is 5ml then second week 10ml and so on. My question is do I cut this does in half when I first start using it on my plants and then the second week give it a full does like it calls for?

Comment

DarkLotus

General Organics makes a great line~up of Organic nutrients. General Hydroponics, is not Organic. I use half is what is recommended on the label, always. Even though is says otherwise. In the first 2 weeks of growth the plants do not need any nutrients, as they come with whats needed to grow on their own, right in the seed shell when they sprout, for those first 2 weeks.

Then start them on like 1/3 recommended amount for the following week or so (week 3), slowly bring up the amount to 1/2 after 3~4 weeks or so. Never give full recommended amounts unless your plants have responded well to 1/2 amounts and you feel they might be able to handle the increase, usually first or second week of bloom stage, depending on the strain your growing. Flush well if you over~do it. You can tell with~in just a few hours after feeding if you have given too much. Always keep a good watch a few hours afterwards when you increase.

I use Fox Farms Nutrients, even though their not Organic and never give them full recommended amounts unless I know they can handle extra, buy testing slight increases.

If you plan to grow as a hobby, then you might want to invest in the big gallon sizes with the little pumps for them, you can get at the hydro stores also, makes it much easier to use from the gallon sizers. You (really) need to check with your hydro supply store to get the full run down. Hope this helps some.

Comment

Hi All,
                I just got my gear together and want to do an indoor grow with an auto flower what I was wondering is what light should I put it under I am using a 600watt digital ballets HPS/MH light and I have a few friend who have done auto flower's that tell me that I should use the MH bulb through the whole grow then I have other friends that tell me I should use the HPS bulb for the whole grow. Can somebody who has a lot more experience then me let me know which bulb I should use??? Also I don't know if this helps but I will be growing in a 4x4x7 tent 600 Watt cool hood light system with this soil recipe which is ~6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up), 2 parts perlite, 2 parts earthworm castings, Powdered (NOT PELLETIZED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soilless mix. 1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix, 2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix, 1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix and I was told I only need to use water through the whole process that all nutrients are in the soil already. Also yes I know I should be using 1k watts in a tent this size but I am only going to be growing a couple plants with which the light should be sufficient enough for now until I can get the funds and get another light. So any advice and all help would be appreciated.
                My other question is I was told that you could buy a roll of Mylar and put it around a piece of cardboard box and use those like a reflector on the sides to help get more light to the bottom of your plant has anyone tried this and if so does it work?? Again thanks to all who answer back and help this new grower out.
                Last edited by DarkLotus760; 10-13-2014, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Hi darklotus i think your mate is having a joke with you as MH bulbs are for veg and hps are flower. with Auto's though i would have just used a dual spectrum bulb as there veg period is short 3-4 weeks then there off into flower mode. It would have saved money on bulbs as well.
                  Your soil mix sounds a little hot to me ( but soil is not my thing) maybe one the other guys could give you more advice.
                  Start your auto's in the pot you are going to finish in so no potting up. Do not Top or Fim them, use low stress training technique to get more light to penetrate better.
                  Some auto growers use 24/0 as a light cycle i am not convinced that its beneficial to there grow. I like to use 18/6 but i have seen good results from 20/4.
                  A 600watt light is perfect for a 4x4 area.

Comment

Hi Kbag,
                    I think he was also just joking with me we were having a few pints that night so yea he probably was joking. I got a question for you or anyone that can answer it for me with a 4x4x7 tent should I use a cool hood on my 600 watt light or could I just use a wing reflector with my ventilation system? I ask because I want to know which is better for a space like mine I don't want it getting too hot but at the same time if I can save some money I would like to. Also with a space like this should if I don't have to use a cool hood could I use an umbrella hood instead of a winged reflector??
                    Last edited by DarkLotus760; 10-13-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Air cooled hoods are better are great if you have temp issues but more expensive. I recently read a test review on reflectors google is the oracle. It was interesting that the parabolics did not do well but i have seen good results with these in many a diary.
                      The adjusta wing done really well in the tests, but the surprise package by the results was the Extrasun wing for under $40.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Kbag I am going to go with the cool hood after all.

Comment

Hello I'm new here and i just wanted to know how exactly do you grow auto flowers apparently it is easy and you treat it like any other plant no need for light cycles i really need help advice or opinions it would be so very kind thank you

Comment

Also forget to mention im from Canada Montreal

Comment

Working...
                            X