Starting a grow in November

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a grow in November

I live in the Southeast and am thinking about planting seeds from the weed I buy. I've never tried to grow weed. I'm definitely a novice. Typically in the Southeast you plant in April or May. Is planting outside in November a horrible idea? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by amigaloca; 11-11-2017, 03:25 AM.

Hi amigaloca. Welcome.
    Yes, planting outside is a bad idea. Marijuana is a photoperiod plant, meaning it uses the length of daylight to tell it when to grow and when to flower. It is also highly susceptible to frosts.
    April May is the outside planting time for most places in the northern hemisphere. It is the same with weed. You can get a headstart by germinating indoors, but not this early.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmokin View Post
      Hi amigaloca. Welcome.
      Yes, planting outside is a bad idea. Marijuana is a photoperiod plant, meaning it uses the length of daylight to tell it when to grow and when to flower. It is also highly susceptible to frosts.
      April May is the outside planting time for most places in the northern hemisphere. It is the same with weed. You can get a headstart by germinating indoors, but not this early.
      Wont it essentially autoflower? If protected from frost, wont it make mature but small buds?

Comment

Autoflowers are plants with a genetic heritage from very northerly environments that have adapted to long summer days but short summer seasons and have by-passed their photoperiodity..
        Regular photoperiod plants will begin to flower when days are short. Planting outdoors in November will cause the plant to begin flowering straight away and they won't have a suitable climate to be able to finish. Not unless you live in a tropical or sub tropical environment, and even then it would be sub-optimal.
        So yes, you could protect it from the frost and get flowers, but as you say they would be small as the plant won't have had the longer days to vegetate first.
        There's an interesting article from Royal Queen on growing under 12/12 lights from germination. But remember in the scenario we are discussing here, the days would be starting from even less than 12 hours and be getting progressively shorter. It remains a bad idea.

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog...-lighting-n330

Comment

Working...
        X