Recycled Living Organic Soil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycled Living Organic Soil

So I recently read an article on R.O.L.S, and its got me really excited. Last year was my first grow, and I'm ready to do it again. Only this time I'm going indoor, and completly organic. My soil mix will consist of fish bone meal, blood meal, earthworm castings, powdered mycorrhizae, Epsom salt, dolomite lime, granular humic acid and azomite. I will combine these amendments in the right quanitys in a trash can with a lid, keep it moist and let it bake in the sun for 30 days. Then I will fill each of my grow containers half way with the amendments i mixed in the trash can, and the other half with Fox farms ocean forest potting soil. Mix well and plant my clones. Is this going to be a good mix to keep my plants happy all year long till I harvest them? And my other question is about compost tea. I read I need to kick off the microbial life with a compost tea. How to a make the tea, and when do I apply it? Please help!

Thanks guys,
    J-Work

Please help!

Comment

Welcome JWork123

Looks like a real good choice on your potting soil mixture with all the good soil amendments there. Real close to what I use to plant also. Have been using Happy Frog, but bought Ocean Forest for upcoming grow instead.

I just mix all my amendments/ingredients together, including the potting soil and go with that, not waiting 30 days.

Has been said that Ocean Forest runs on the hot side and might hold back adding some of my amendments down to lower levels than with the Happy Frog that I usually use, because of this reason. With this mixture I still intent to use Fox Farms Nutrient trio to feed and FF Chi~ching as my bloom booster.

Never used the tea, but might look into it, 4 sure. Best of Luck to ya.

IMG_0500.JPG F.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the response Blaze4Dayz. I appreciate your help. Is this going to give me the results of an ROLS grow, or is it the same thing. Im confused because I thought I had to add a certain kind of compost tea to set of the microbial life.

Please help. I need to fully understand what i need to do before I get started. Any articles you guys find helpful about Rols I would love to read Thanks
        Last edited by Blaze4daze; 03-24-2015, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Here is a quick bing search for you. JWork. Not understanding what a ROLS grow is??

Microbes & Marijuana

The application of beneficial microbes doesn’t have to be complicated, or involve any knowledge of brewing or chemistry. All you need is a quality microbial inoculates which are available at all grow stores and most nursery’s.
          I always use three forms of inoculates. This SUPERCHARGES my medium with a vast array of microbial life. The first form is granular, used during transplanting. This product doesn’t need to be the expensive kind, the cheaper nursery store brands work fine for this application. Sprinkle 1tblsp. of powder at the bottom of each transplant hole.
          Second is the soluble microbial inoculates. Adding it to every watering through mid flowering will build a robust colony of beneficial's. Around the 5th week I usually take a break for a week, then re-inoculate every other week until flushing. I like to use a more expensive horticultural grade product for this application.

The trick to getting the most from your soluble microbial inoculates is to prepare it before use by aerating it. Add the soluble microbes as per package instructions to the appropriate amount of water. Then add a food source for the microbes. This can be any complex carbohydrate such as High Brix Molasses, Sultanate, or prepared products like Humboldt Honey ES. Aerating this preparation for even an hour or two before application will substantially increase your microbe colony. I like to wait 24-48hrs.
          You should never try to brew microbe tea with chlorinated water. Chlorine is a bactericide which doesn’t discriminate between good and bad bacteria. You should always draw water days ahead of use to allow chlorine to evaporate, temperature to rise closer to room temperature, and allow time to be aerated.

Using Beneficial Microbes To Get Bigger Marijuana Buds

Beneficial microorganisms have received a lot of attention in the medical marijuana community in the last few years. As scientists understand more about plant functions, the role of microorganisms, and their importance, becomes more clear.
          The more we learn about microbes, the more it becomes apparent that supplementing them is crucial to supercharging our gardens. Microbes are responsible for transforming raw elements into usable forms of nitrogen, phosphorus, sulfur, iron and other crucial chemical compounds for sustaining plant growth. Beneficial microbes can also act as a defense for plants by suppressing pathogenic microorganisms and by breaking down pesticides or other harmful chemicals that make their way into a plant’s root zone. The main types of beneficial microorganisms for plant growth are bacteria, fungi, protozoa and actinomycetes.
          Bacteria are single cell organisms that are the most abundant microbe in soil or hydroponic systems. If supplemented properly, these tiny creatures can multiply rapidly. Fast colonization is key to increasing nutrient uptake and overall plant performance. Tarantula by Advanced Nutrients contains the highest population of bacteria per dosage and is my favorite bacterial supplement. Tarantula now comes in liquid form, making it a snap to add into hydroponic reservoirs. I like to add my beneficial bacteria twice throughout my vegetative stage and once more at the beginning of my flowering stage.
          Beneficial fungi, known as mycorrhiza, form a symbiotic relationship with a plant’s roots, both internally and externally. Many strains of beneficial fungi use sugars excreted from the plant’s roots for food and in exchange help break down nutrients or supply enzymes that are beneficial to the plant’s rhizosphere. When supplementing fungi, I prefer Piranha because it comes in a liquid form. Other beneficial fungus formulas on the market are messy powders and are tailored to a wide range of plants. Piranha contains the optimal ratio of endo/ecto mycorrhiza specific to medical marijuana.
          Protozoa are single celled microbes that feed on bacteria. Protozoa release nutrients as a result of feeding on bacterial biomass. It is also thought that Protozoa can promote microbial diversity in the rhizosphere and can affect root foraging ability and architecture.
          Actinomycetes are types of bacteria commonly misidentified as fungus. They are necessary for breaking down components of organic matter. Some sub-species are known as nitrogen fixing bacteria.
          The rhizosphere of a plant is teeming with microbial life whose functions are imperative to a plant’s growth and health. By supplementing beneficial microbes, medical marijuana growers can produce an environment to help their plants flourish. Remember, microorganisms are living and breathing creatures, so they need to be fed properly in order to thrive. Although most of their food is obtained by the relationship they have with the plant’s roots, gardeners can supplement carbohydrates to ensure the population of microbes is thriving. By sticking with a solid fertilizer regiment and sporadically supplementing beneficial microbes, there is no limit to where your plants can grow.

Hope this helps you some, JWork
          Last edited by Blaze4daze; 03-24-2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Hi Jwork here are a few tea recipes Guano Tea and Kelp:

Seedlings less than 1 month old nutrient tea mix

Mix 1 cup earthworm castings into 5 gallons of water to make the tea. Add 5 tsp. Black Strap Molasses.
            Use it to water your seedlings with every 2nd or 3rd watering.

Veg mix-

1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
            1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
            1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)

(That makes the "dry mix". You can make all you want and save it to use later.)

Mix with water @ 1 cup of dry mix into 5 gallons of water to make the tea.

To that 5 gallons of tea add:
            5 tbs. Maxicrop or Neptune's Harvest liquid seaweed.
            5 tsp. Black Strap Molasses

Use it to water with every 3rd watering.

Flowering nute tea mix:

2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
            2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
            2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)

(That makes the "dry mix". You can make all you want and save it to use later.)

Mix with water @ 2 cups of dry mix into 5 gallons of water to make the tea.

To that 5 gallons of tea add:
            5 tbs. Maxicrop or Neptune's Harvest liquid seaweed.
            5 tsp. Black Strap Molasses
            Use it to water with EVERY watering.

You can use queen size knee high nylon stockings for tea bags. 3 pair for a dollar at the dollar store. Tell 'em you use them for paint strainers. Put the recommended tea in the stocking, tie a loop knot in it and hang it in your tea bucket. The tea should look like a mud puddle. Agitate the bag in the water vigorously. An aquarium pump and air stone will dissolve oxygen into the solution and keep the good bacteria (microherd) alive and thriving. Let it bubble a day or two before you use it. If you find you are making too much tea and having to throw it out, use 2 1/2 gallons of water and cut the nute amount by half.

Fish and Seaweed (This is sooo easy)
            1 capful is 1 TB or 15 ml.

For veg growth…
            1 capful 5-1-1 Fish Emulsion
            1 capful Neptune's Harvest 0-0-1 Seaweed or Maxicrop liquid
            1 gallon H2O

For early flowering…
            1 tbs. Neptune’s Harvest 2-3-1 Fish/Seaweed
            1 gallon H2O

For mid to late flowering…
            1 tbs. Neptune’s Harvest 2-4-1 Fish
            1 gallon H2O