T8 LED Fixture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T8 LED Fixture

I made my own light fixture for T8 LED tubes and I am seeking any input as to spacing of the tubes. I used 4 strip light fixtures and wired them for dual end powered lights. At this time the light fixture is 19" wide and I am contemplating adding more space between the lights to get a wider coverage area. Any thoughts on this? The side light has 5 bulbs in it because that is how many I could fit in there.

Sorry I cant offer anything other than curiosity. I will follow this thread as I would like to know a couple things.

A. Did they have a decent yield?

B. How much money is in them?

Grow lights seem insanely expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by FatBack View Post
      Sorry I cant offer anything other than curiosity. I will follow this thread as I would like to know a couple things.
      A. Did they have a decent yield?
      B. How much money is in them?
      Grow lights seem insanely expensive.
      Just switched them to 12/12 on my first grow so yield TBD, the "28w" 6500K T8 LED bulbs were about $30 for 4. The 5 full spectrum that didn't seem to be putting out enough light were about $100, discontinued now. The double fixtures were free, the 4 light that I turned into a 5 light was $8 at a Facebook yardsale site. Included a pic of the plants to show how they are doing.
      Last edited by Ratt; 10-02-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
        Just switched them to 12/12 on my first grow so yield TBD, the "24w" 6500K T8 LED bulbs were about $30 for 4. The 5 full spectrum that didn't seem to be putting out enough light were about $100, discontinued now. The double fixtures were free, the 4 light that I turned into a 5 light was $8 at a Facebook yardsale site. Included a pic of the plants to show how they are doing.
        Looks good! Outdoors not an option? Hard to replace the sun! Here's hoping you see a good 2-3 ounces a plant, so far so good!

Comment

Doing a quick search on those fixtures, I would try to provide 30 w/ sq ft(actual power used) of the area you're trying to light. Also, if there are diffusers I would try and remove them. You will get better penetration. Most of the strip fixtures I've built work best with a solid sheet of diodes over the plant so put as many as you can fit.

Comment

Originally posted by FatBack View Post

Looks good! Outdoors not an option? Hard to replace the sun! Here's hoping you see a good 2-3 ounces a plant, so far so good!
            Outdoors is not an option, and it is fall here, so it will be months before they could survive anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by gbauto View Post
              Doing a quick search on those fixtures, I would try to provide 30 w/ sq ft(actual power used) of the area you're trying to light. Also, if there are diffusers I would try and remove them. You will get better penetration. Most of the strip fixtures I've built work best with a solid sheet of diodes over the plant so put as many as you can fit.
              No diffusers are being used. The LED tubes are dual row type also. I need to get an amp meter to figure out what the actual draw of the lights is, if they are 28 w I would be at approx 37.3 w sq ft without counting the full spectrum lights.

Comment

Based on most examples I've seen, that wattage may be a cfl equivalent. Most of the 2' replacements are about 10w actual power consumption

Comment

Originally posted by gbauto View Post
                  Based on most examples I've seen, that wattage may be a cfl equivalent. Most of the 2' replacements are about 10w actual power consumption
                  These are 4', dual row. The stated equivalent is 50w fluorescent, and 2800 lumens, my meter shows less, but it could be a cumulative total, not sure.

Comment

Made by LECLSTAR, bought them off Amazon.

Comment

I was guessing at the length. The 4 footers I see are 50w fluorescent equivalents and use around 20w of power. My original recommendation of power density still applies.

Comment

Working...
                      X