Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First timer

Can I grow using one constant temp? 77-82 degrees Fahrenheit. Thanks

Hi Oprah. Welcome. I answered this question on another post. Yes you can grow with a constant temp like that. You should do well.
    I just made a post about my low yields which might be due to my lower temps. I have trouble maintaining constant temperatures in my set up and live in quite a cold country. Weed can take a much wider range of temperatures than people say, mine have been very low before and still produced good buds, although yields may be sub optimum. So if you can maintain those temperatures throughout the grow you should do OK.

Comment

Thank you. The girls are doing good. Today they are one week old and are starting to sprout more leaves and are roughly 4 inches in height. 2 cheese and 1 ak-47 and 2 mystery seeds. I have my temp at a constant 81 Fahrenheit and growing in very rich compost soil. I hope they make it all the way thru flowering.

Comment

Good luck Oprah. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Hi, Oprah. I'm sure that you'll have no problems getting your plants to finish. In my experience over the years at trying to kill cannabis plants, I can tell you that they absorb quite a bit of punishment. Seems for indoors 75-80 deg works best for me. I've had outdoor grows that have had really nice formation and potency but because of low temps the aroma wasn't as good as an indoor grow of the same variety. So......do the best with what you've got.

Comment

Hello I'm a newbie,as well,, I was wondering what is the time line one, changing the soil, or what do I look for as far as buds,,

Thanks

Comment

• cococeltic
              cococeltic commented
              Editing a comment
              changing the soil ?? my last lot in soil I put the seedlings once cracked into those wee discs then straight into 11l pots and they grew mental I used to start in small pots then bigger and bigger. but that way is better lets the plant do it's own thing.. As for buds. Once you have veg'd and put into flower it will be a couple of weeks till you start seeing buds mate.

Thanks cococeltics,, do I moisten the plants daily,,I have n the wrong pot now, so I'll change out this weekend into 11,,

Comment

Hi somnsweet. I'm a newbee (well been doing it for about a year every day is a learning day lol ) as well but I have 2 lights one veg and one flowering. I put them under the veg usually till they are around 1.5 ft tall 18hr on 6 of.. then I change the bulb and put them on a 12 on 12 off flowering. As I said I used to put them in smaller pots but the last couple of times I put them straight into the big pot saved feckin about with different pots. Depending on the soil you use as some has food in I usually get a light soil so I can work the food my self. buy a wee bottle of root burst and give them a drop of that on the first week when you first put them in the big pot. when veg you need a wee bit condensation but defo NOT when flowering. I feed my plants every second day around a pint of water but you can judge that your self. Oh and don't do what I did when I first started, pack the soil tight they don't like it just put it in as it comes pat it a wee bit but not to tight... well that's about it lol jeez I bleather on a bit ha

Comment

Hi I was told to put them on 12 on 12 off from the start it my first grow and I have buds before I started flowering. Will I run into problems??

Comment

Hi Kevin. You can't have buds before you flower. The buds are the flowers!
                  12/12 from the start is only really a good idea if you are growing massive sativas and have worries about space. Otherwise you should run your plants at 18/6 like Coco says, until they are well established and fully vegged.

Comment

It's not that you will run into problems, but you will get a much smaller yield than otherwise possible.

Comment

Hello there here from freged white north east NH, it's snowing right now, we are supposed to get 10". By the time the seeds get here and I plant them the snow should melt away by then. The seedlings should be ready for the outdoors. I'm a rookie in growing and cultivating good wakie tubuckie. Although I'm a long time smoker since the 70's. The hippie days, remember those days? Peace, love and understanding. We grew some shit with couple flurecent lights and some tin foil for reflection. We called it black gunge. Oh it was terible! But back then who knew the science of weed and doing the DNA on the seeds. With the seeds being so advanced today do we need all the extra bells and whisles to grow weed. Especially for they were desidgned for. What I mean do we need all the lights and chemicals or can the old green thumb do it? I'm planning to guy 6 to 10 various seeds from Herbies within a day or two. Any recommendations? When they arrive I'm going to plant then indoor one seed in an individual container. Around end of May I'm going to transfer them to out doors. I'm working on a compost pile now, by the time the plants will be ready for the outdoors the compost will be ready like black gold. Only planningf to water once a day. I'm very succesfull in growing vegetables and don't see why growing weed should be any different. I threw 4-5 seeds that I got out of a bag of weed, in the garden last spring 3 plants came up showed little buds but it was late in the year they seen the first frost and died. Here I'm asking you for suggestions and opinions where in reality I'm on the right track. I don't want to spend the time and money and come to find out I was missing something. So if if you have read this note and understand it please help me. Because if hese specialized seeds need something special to grow or Am I missing anything any suggestions or recommendations are welcomed I'm just going to chew threw it all spit out the bones and keep the meat. Thank you in andvance for your help. Peace brother. Byt the this past summer I suffered an epileptic seizure the doctors put me on pretty severe meds with some bad side effects. I have decided to use alternative mnedicine which is weed. I'm in a proccess of getting my ID card so I'll be legal. How ironic it is back in the past I smoked for fun now I smoke out of need.
                      Last edited by Kazimisz; 03-31-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Kazimisz , I just wanted to say that I STRONGLY BELIEVE that, if you are able to successfully grow vegetable, you will be growing cannabis equally successful. You definitely DON'T NEED all these fancy chemicals, lights, fans etc. An "old green thumb" should be able to easily pull it off! Remember, this is weed!, so it will grow. Reason most people grow under lighths (well, meaning indoors), is due to... *cough*, *cough*, "legality issues". Also safety/security might be a concern, too. You know that these are probably the most desirable "flowers" ever, so you defo don't want some low-life come and steal them from your garden.
                        The way you plan on starting the grow is right (germinate and plant in pots, later transplant outdoors). These plants need a lot of light, and it's best if you can grow them strong indoors under strong lights until you're ready for transplanting. 16 hours of light per day will be fine, but more is also good.
                        These plants need slightly acidic soil, similar to tomato plants.
                        There are few other members here who do grow organically, so they might say a word or two in regard to the soil needs for weed. You mentioned watering daily, I believe most people who grow in soil will say that it might be too much. But you should be able to work that out, you know over watering is no good for most plants.
                        Ok, regarding any recommendations on which strains to get for medicinal purpose, I would google it and possibly land on one of many large websites that keep a lot of info.
                        Check out these search results please : https://www.google.com/search?q=m...lepsy+seizures
                        Good luck

Comment

• Kazimisz
                          Kazimisz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you, HobbyGardener for the quick reply. You know something I grew up on a farm so I understand some basic things about growing plants than your average city folk would. I have nice composte pile going on now (black gold). I'm planning to grow some out doors and couple of plants indoors. What would you say if I put a plant in my kitchen window planty of sun 7-8 hrs a day is this enough? Or does the glass filter out the neseccery light?I was thinking starting with strain that by passes the flowering period and goes into vegitation stage right away. I seen the seed on Herbies web site. Also sativa is the choice of smoke for seizures according to one of the sites I looked at when I wanted to know the difference between sativa and indica. By the way what is the ruderalis strain how did that originate? I'm little confused about the flowering stage (what to look out for and what not to do during this period, how critical is this stage) because it seems that there is a lot of talkin th and discussion about this subject. Or people just over playing it. How much bud can one plant produce on average? I understand the theory behind the triming, clipping and grooming taking off unhealthy leaves these so the food can go to much more healther parts of the plant. But then you get in to reading all kind of different things by the time you get done reading you don't know if you are coming or going. At this point I'm so confused I just decided to follow my instincts and my life experiences (I can't go wrong can I). I want to get some good amount without paying for it. If I get 6-10 seeds do you think with everything that I have told you, how many plants can I get going. Yes I understand if every seed germinates well for that kind of money they better. You think I get at least couple of ounces Another option I have is to get a light and grow few plants the celler. I would need to know what type of light to get can you help me? I,m going on Herbies site to see what they have unless you have other sites to check out that you like. Thank you in advance for your help.
                          Last edited by Kazimisz; 04-01-2017, 02:39 AM.

Hi Kazimisz let me try answer your questions, but first we need to apologise to Oprah for jumping the thread, so, I'm sorry, I hope you don't mind, Oprah.

Comment

Ok, here we go. It's an extensive topic, but I'll try to shorten it as much as I can, promise! I know it's a lot to read and to take in, and sometimes it's confusing and also things can get mixed up as well.
                          - First thing first - cannabis sativa and cannabis indica (and their respective mixes, called hybrids) are those of interest to most of us, whereas cannabis ruderalis is more of interest to the breeders because its traits are best utilised when cross-breeding with the other two.
                          - Cannabis plants are (normally) "photoperiod plants", which means their growth and maturing phases are controlled by the length of darkness in a day. (Other plants base their maturing on their age, as you surely know). These two phases are called VEGETATIVE PERIOD (plant growing larger and stronger, all through spring and summer), and FLOWERING PERIOD (plants producing flowers/bud, it starts when the nights become longer). This should explain few questions you posted above - window sill growing, veg/flowering period and the amount of bud that is the most important and most rewarding part. Obviously, the longer you allow the plant to veg, the larger SHE will get, and the more flowers SHE will produce. Dried flowers are buds that you smoke. (Leaves and stems can be processed and used, too, but that's a different story).
                          - I think you can grow your seedlings on a window sill, but I'd make sure they get 18 hours of light per day, meaning you could add a flouro tube or a cfl globe to the "window decoration" and keep it on to give enough light hours to the seedlings. A timer can be of great help - set and forget.
                          - Thanks to the breeders around the world, you can these days buy seeds that will produce "auto-flowering" plants. This means that they are not guided by the length of night/day, instead they will flower after a typical period of time (depending on strain). It might be a great choice, but with one disadvantage - auto-plants will produce less bud than a similar "regular" plant. This is simply because if allowed (enough light, enough long days) a "regular" will grow larger, much larger plant. How large, depends on strain, but some are known to grow 12-18 foot high, and a stem as thick as an underarm. (I've only ever seen this on TV and on the net, because I live where it's not allowed to grow weed whatsoever). People claim to harvest as much as 10-15lbs of one of those giants. (check them out here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=giant+weed+plant ). I think these results are maybe ;-) a bit too much to expect from a first time grower, so I'd like to believe that you should be able to pull more than 1lb from one plant if she's healthy and happy during her life. That's a lot of weed for one person for smoking, but if you start making edibles, medicinal oils and/or alike, yep, you guess it, it's never too much
                          - You noticed I refer to the plants as "she". That's because it's true - cannabis plants have genders, they are either female or male. Males we don't need, unless we want to produce seeds, but you won't be doing that in your first season, right? When you buy "regular" seeds, there is always a 50-50 chance of a seed producing either a male or a female, so planting more than you need is always better, that way you can get rid of males and still have enough girls to grow and harvest. But there's a catch - we can't 100% determine sex before they start flowering! (Well, there are ways and there's a thing they will grow, called "pre-flowers", but let's do that later )
                          - Of course, these days you can buy "feminised" seeds. They cost a bit more usually, but it might be worth it.
                          - Another thing you mentioned was the trimming, clipping, (topping) etc. Most of these things are important to the INDOOR grower, simply because indoors we are limited in light and space (most of us anyway). Outdoors, you might have other things to worry about - your animals eating the plants bare, or stomping them into the ground etc. But from my VERY LIMITED knowledge regarding outdoor grow, people don't trim, top or train their plants much. Most important thing is to make sure you recognise and remove a male plant as soon as possible, because apparently it doesn't take long for one male to pollinate all females around. In that case you would end up with a very poor crop of flowers and tons of seeds instead.
                          - Plenty more reading and explanation on things I might have missed or so, read here: https://howtogrowmarijuana.com/how-to...uana-outdoors/. If you go on and read more links on the site, there are articles on almost any related topic.
                          - You asked about possible indoor grow, and what light to get. Really, there are quite a few choices, and you need to choose based on your criteria.
                          Main things to consider are your setup (you mentioned cellar, so I'm assuming a dark room with probably 6-8" high ceiling), heat build-up (even without lights, some rooms are quite warm) and heat extraction, etc. But more than anything, it's a $$ question. And also it might be interesting to know yield expectations.
                          *** Especially for newbie growers, it seems that the "magic" number chased is "1g/1W". Let me explain. For example, you use a 500W HPS light in your growing room, you do train your plants in order to maximise yield, you plants are healthy and pest free. You might get around 500g (just over 1lb) of dry, ready-to-smoke bud out of that grow. If you use a 1000W HPS light, you may get 1kg (2.2lbs). So far MY understanding.
                          - Disadvantage of those "traditional" grow lights (HPS, MH) is they produce lot of heat, and that must be extracted before the plants cook. Advantage is, deeper light penetration than T5, or CFL, or "CCC" LEDs.
                          - Now, let's get to LED lights. I'd like to split them into 2 main groups: CCC and GBE.
                          -- CCC, also known as Cheap(er) Chinese Crap, are the ones I work with. Thousands of others work with them, too, only because of the first "C" I'm sure! These things, regardless of weather they're no-name, fantasy name, or well known "cheap brand" always have their ads accordingly - "1000W LED, equivalent to 800W traditional grow lights, but uses only 20-30% of power..." My arse. If a LED light is advertised with 800W, but only pulls 140W out of your power socket, well, you can NOT expect it to produce much more than 140g of dried bud. This is MY experience. In my first grow I used one of those, and harvested as I said. Than I decided to buy another 2 of similar but a bit better (stronger) ones - one is 900W (240W real power draw) and the other is a 600W ViparSpectra (280W real draw). I mention this name because I need to mention (for safety reasons) that ViparSpectra has FAKE safety certificate stickers on it, and accordingly should have never hit the market, in my opinion. I still use it, hoping for the best. I assume plenty of other CCC products also have fake certificates, so, yeah, each to their own.
                          -- The other LED lights (Great But Expensive) are truly impressive (at least when watching reviews on youtube etc), unfortunately their price tag is also very impressive and puts a tear in my eye. If you can afford, go with one of those. Although I believe (and I can say for myself), if you have the chance to grow outdoors, why spend big $$ on indoor equipment. But if you NEED to grow indoors and if you want to be certain of your success (especially because you're spending those $$ on equipment), I'd look around for a local hydro shop and talk to them. I think it's even easier if you're to become legal in your state.

If your head is smoking right now, sorry bro, I tried my best. All of the above written is just my limited knowledge, there is so much to learn about this, and it's quite fascinating for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X