LED vs Fluorescent Lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED vs Fluorescent Lights

For years I've successfully overwintered plants under fluorescent lights. This year I've decided to expand my grow plant but find that fluorescent is becoming a thing of the past. Everything seems to be LED at my local home Depot.
    Any idea if LED Lights will be a good substitute for my old reliable fluorescent lights?
    Thanks in advance....

Last edited by admin; 03-28-2018, 09:13 AM.

It's a bit of a general question as there are lots of different styles of both kinds of light. But in short, yes.
    LED grow lights for flowering means doing some research and getting the better lights. Cheapest isn't always best. For keeping your plants in veg over the winter the LED replacement bulbs are fine. You want cool white for best results (6500K) However, the warm white (2700K) will do you just as well. Get as many as you can afford to fit into the space.

Comment

This comparison chart may be of help.
      LEDs vs CFLs

LEDs get better yields for the same amount of electricity than CFLs. This is because LEDs are much more efficient (produce more light for the same amount of electricity)
      Unlike CFLs, LEDs don't need to be adjusted almost daily

LEDs give off less heat than a CFL setup with the same amount of electricity, and LEDs also come with additional cooling options like heatsinks and built-in fans, which pushes all the heat up and away from the plants, making it easier for growers to maintain comfortable temperatures.

LEDs need to be kept much further away from plants than CFLs, which means that CFLs are better suited to short grow spaces without a lot of available height. LED grow lights generally need to be kept 12-18+" away from the tops of plants, while CFLs can be kept just a few inches away.

Comment

I am using 8 6500k T8 24w LED lights purchased from Amazon in conjunction with 5 "full spectrum" lights (Yes it adds up to 13) and I am happy with them so far. I wired up my own fixtures from dual strip light fixtures which I picked up for free on local yard sale sites. I believe I should separate them a bit farther apart, the 8 are all in a 19" area and I might gain more coverage by spacing them out farther. I side light somewhat also. 4 of the lights ran about $30 US. The full spectrum were about $20 each.

Comment

Ratt I like your light rig!

I would also say that LEDs are a pretty ideal way to go. You can get them super cheap and if you uncap them they put out quite a powerful amount of light.

I believe we opted for 60 Watt equivalent Daylight. They were really effective. You just have to realize by uncapping them you increase the distance needed between plant and lights.

Essentially i'm restating what pothood said... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mass Medicinals View Post
            Ratt I like your light rig!

I would also say that LEDs are a pretty ideal way to go. You can get them super cheap and if you uncap them they put out quite a powerful amount of light.

I believe we opted for 60 Watt equivalent Daylight. They were really effective. You just have to realize by uncapping them you increase the distance needed between plant and lights.

Essentially i'm restating what pothood said... lol
            I'm not sure what you mean by uncapping. These have clear covers over the LED's if that is what you are talking about. They are only a few inches away from the plants and I have had no burn problems because they run so cool. The duct strapping makes it so I can adjust the angle the lights hang at by moving where the hangers are hooked on them.
            Last edited by Ratt; 10-06-2018, 03:32 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.

Comment

LED is the future of lighting in all applications, not just growing. Some of the tech needs to get better and cheaper (it will do). And there will always be an "old school" saying the old ways were best. But it's absolutely the direction of travel. My grow room is decommissioned temporarily, but when I set it up again it will be LED all the way.
              And yeah, nice light rig Ratt.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnalia View Post
                LED is the future of lighting in all applications, not just growing. Some of the tech needs to get better and cheaper (it will do). And there will always be an "old school" saying the old ways were best. But it's absolutely the direction of travel. My grow room is decommissioned temporarily, but when I set it up again it will be LED all the way.
                And yeah, nice light rig Ratt.
                Thank you. I have limited funds to do this, total cost was $168, although I could have saved money by not getting the full spectrum lights that didn't put out the needed lumens.

Comment

168$ - bargain! I reckon there's more than 168$ worth of weed under them now. At least, there is by UK prices.
                  I love DIY rigs!

Comment

Working...
                  X