New with growing indoors, question about LED lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New with growing indoors, question about LED lights

Will regular LED light bulbs ( daylight 5,000K) work for the veg cycle? I was thinking of using 10 because they are 100 w but only use 15 watts power?

I'm assuming that the led's used in the bulbs are at best, about 50% efficient at converting power into usable light for the plant. I'd think that 150W should cover 3-4 sq/ft and that Kelvin temp should be fine for veg.

Comment

Agreed. The 100W figure is the incandescent equivalent. These should be fine to veg a couple of plants. You might want to beef it up a bit for flowering though.

Comment

I know that this is an old thread, but I'll post anyways, because I feel that this is relevant.

That should be fine. This article from LED Grow Lights 101, also says that it would work fine.
        What's the best LED grow lights on the market? Our comparison tables, and in-depth reviews will answer this question. Save a lot of money with our free ...

Comment

You can buy grow led strip light in most grow shops for around £40 here in the uk. works out a lot cheaper than these bulbs I think, also as avid has put up, most of the big Led's have a veg and bloom switch that's what I use and it works fine. I have read not to go under 300w with led as your waisting your time but, I'm sure someone on here will know more about that than me.

Comment

I'd say one of the challenges when trying to decipher all of the 'wattage' claims some leds use when advertising the lights. I have a blurple led that claims to be a 1200W light but actually consumes about 320W. The lamps power rating is based on the maximum power rating of the combined total of diodes on the board-it's really misleading and creates massive confusion when trying to compare apples to apples. A simple rule of thumb with leds is the actual power consumed-most of the current tech diodes use approx 2/3 the power of a MH/HPS to produce the same amount of photons the plants can use for growth. I try to use at least 25W/sq ft of grow space-double that will grow some serious dank.

Comment

Working...
            X