HPS light vs LED

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPS light vs LED

I just purchased a grow tent kit the tent is 48by48by78.It comes with a 400 watt HPS light system. I have just been thinking of going LED. Have not grown anything yet but ws just wondering what size LED I would need anf if the light that comes with it is ok.Thanks

Hi I myself have finished a indoor grow with led system very satisfied.my first indoor.i have an outside growing as I type this.i for one like the led grow better do to the lower heat factor from the light system.hps and metal halide give off of alot of heat.less heat less to worry about in a small area.there is alot of debate of what system is better.they all will preform quite well.you will be good on your kit.if grow in soil look up a super soil in this forum.alot of information here good luck!😉

Comment

welcome paul, i have the same tent kit that you have and i also went the LED way, mainly because of the extra heat from the HPS light. i have 2 300 w, full spectrum lights that work very well for me in both soil and hydro grows in the tent. i'm sure that either light system would work ok, but the LED light is way less expensive to operate. good luck with your first grow, i know you'll like your tent once you get the kinks worked out.
      gary

Comment

• Paul2016
        Paul2016 commented
        Editing a comment
        I decided and got me a 180 watt LED full spectrum and have that over my plants.Got 2 ww and 1 ak 47 coming up and I use the hid light to keep the temp steady .Have my lights on for 18 hrs late afternoon to morning and 4 hrs off.

Thanks to both of you

Comment

Hi Paul. My tent has a similar sized footprint and I use 2 X Spectrum King 450s and am pretty happy with the results.
        The HID V LED debate will continue to rage for many years. Look it up, there's tons of information and opinion about it. For me the bottom line is that when I had HID I worried a lot about the heat and the risk of fire. Now I have the LEDs I no longer worry.
        You don't say what the light that comes with the tent is....

Comment

• Paul2016
          Paul2016 commented
          Editing a comment
          It came with a 400 watt HID I purchased a 180 watt LED full spectrum system from the same company I got the grow tent system. I have the LED lights about 2 feet above my plants and using the HID to keep the temp constant. Running the lights and circulation fan and the exhaust fan 18 on 6 off right now. Have the setup in shed out side.Not worried about neighbors cause don't have any close. Surrounded by woods.I got 2 AK -47'S 3-WW AND 2 Bubblegum those came free. They are all about 6 inches high and growing them in Fox Farm organic.Just hope they stay healthy.By the way growing some tomatoes, bell peppers and cucumbers. Give more advice if you think I need it.I always can.Thanks

• Paul2016
          Paul2016 commented
          Editing a comment
          I almost forgot,Im in week 2 of the grow,when should I go 12/12 and when should I be able to double check the sexes right when I switch light time or a few days after. I know the WW should be female and the AK-47 might be mix and the free Bubble gum could be either

Hi Paul. When to switch to 12/12 is down to personal preference. Basically, the longer you veg, the bigger your final plants will be. Remember that they will stretch quite a bit after flipping so make sure you leave enough space for that. I normally go at about 4 weeks or so, but I have limited space and am governed by that.
        Sex will show anywhere from a week to two weeks after flipping. Slowly at first, you have to keep a good eye on them. But once you get your eye in it gets easier and easier to see it. You can get a clue to sex beforehand as males tend to be thinner and leggier than females. It's not a cast iron rule but it can help you.
        Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Working...
        X