An LED Company Worthy of Consideration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An LED Company Worthy of Consideration

I dropped them a note several months ago, and got a call 2 days ago. Had a 2 hour conversation with Nick (owner)

He is not an mj grower, and had no concept of what spectrums it thrives on. He is all about commercial horticulture (greens- lettuce, etc) lighting

They offer pre-made rails perfect to supplement, or to slowly build a system, AND, a 600 Spyder (covers 4 x 4) into which you can choose your own spectrum balance. The Spyder is highly adjustable. Short video...

BML SPYDR 600

Nick is not up to speed on mj or what our beloved plant thrives on, but he is a fast learner

I choose a blend that is primarily shades of white. The overall efficiency is only 22%. Apparently the OSRAMs he is using are inefficient, at least by recent CREE standards.
    I communicated this this morning. I expect he will investigate more efficient whites

Originally posted by PhatNuggz View Post
    http://www.bmlhorticulture.com/

I dropped them a note several months ago, and got a call 2 days ago. Had a 2 hour conversation with Nick (owner)

He is not an mj grower, and had no concept of what spectrums it thrives on. He is all about commercial horticulture (greens- lettuce, etc) lighting

They offer pre-made rails perfect to supplement, or to slowly build a system, AND, a 600 Spyder (covers 4 x 4) into which you can choose your own spectrum balance. The Spyder is highly adjustable. Short video...

BML SPYDR 600

Nick is not up to speed on mj or what our beloved plant thrives on, but he is a fast learner

I choose a blend that is primarily shades of white. The overall efficiency is only 22%. Apparently the OSRAMs he is using are inefficient, at least by recent CREE standards.
    I communicated this this morning. I expect he will investigate more efficient whites
    Phat Nuggs

So your going to come into a Cannabis grow forum and spam an LED company, that has no idea how to grow Cannabis, with your guyz DIY lighting, Yeah, we'll jump all over that, wtf.

Comment

I totaly agrre with what Blazd has said we are here to learn but too steer newbies on a bum trip is not conjusive too luv giving, so personaly i would like you too keep your good ideas too yourself. Folk on here spend good hard erned cash on seeds and need to know they going too grow not fuckup.

Comment

O-M-G

Your collective ignorance is showing.

Take personal responsibility.

When YOU rely on others, without having taken the time to get educated, it is to the detriment of YOUR grows, and your life.

Visit the home page and locate the DIY LED Grow Light link.

You will gain a wealth of information on what mj needs, and see a simple light in action

If you are not electrically and mechanically inclined, BML allows you to select your own blend to duplicate the DIY Light

Originally posted by Blazd4Daz View Post
        Phat Nuggs

So your going to come into a Cannabis grow forum and spam an LED company, that has no idea how to grow Cannabis, with your guyz DIY lighting, Yeah, we'll jump all over that, wtf.

Last edited by PhatNuggz; 03-30-2014, 01:22 PM.

Comment

A CARROT for ya donkey

1)

One thing is for sure... you aint here to grow weed you bombocloth spam bwoy.

Can you show any results with ya rascloth invetion ? No
          Why? you aint got no plants and you dont even know what ganja look like

All you know is ya website needs ppl and you want us to forget about our plants and look at your website 20 times a day.

if yu wasn't, why are we on THIS thread ? and why are you promoting it so hard? you act like "you don't even know if it works" like the guy "dont know about mj, only tomatoes (hahaha!!!)" and dont act like you didn't cause i will find your posts and quote you back in ya own words .

to top it off after sooo many warnings now, and you still pon the donky man's dick trying to get us into ya skeem.

You even take offense trying to defend the only site you seem to have any knowledge of.

You is what we call A BAD SEED and you must get crushed !!

2) Most of the products that growers use are for the main market anyways.

You don't make your website a good reputation by taking experienced, specialized pro's and telling them to be stupid.

Take a look a carrot farm for example, why they don't use your products ? why you don't spam them? Does the carrot farmer know his carrots ?

You think we stupid because we smoke ? so my advice is grow some carrots and stay away from ganja (at least until ya carrots come to life, lmao!) and show the
          carrot farm some results with the carrots you fucking fool!!!!

At least you would have a CARROT for ya donkey

RASTAFARI!!!,

--ALL I GOT IS A 45W TUBE - BUT AT LEAST I HAVE GOT RESULTS TO SHOW FOR IT !!!--

HERE IS AN IDEA... BUY SOME SEEDS, GROW YA WEED OR YA CARROTS AND SHOW SOME RESULTS. (MAYBE THEN, YOU CAN PROMOTE YOUR INVENTION)
          Last edited by FREEZE LANDER; 03-30-2014, 02:23 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

@phatnugz, what is it that you are actually trying to say??
            @ freezelander., your replies bring a smile to my face, it's good to know their are folk like you out there.
            Keeping it green :-)

Comment

Rastafari !!!

Comment

Since you' re all too lazy, and too stupid, here's the link that brought me to this site.

If I had any idea how dumb you morons are, I would not have registered.

It's on your own site and yet you continue to call me a spammer, or owner in BML

It seems like the site has been compromised by a bunch of high school drops outs

I'm done here.

DIY LED Grow Light

Comment

Originally posted by PhatNuggz View Post
                  http://www.bmlhorticulture.com/

BML SPYDR 600

I'm sorry, but I have to pipe up here. I am an LED lighting designer (you can read my bio). I have the background and experience to discuss this. One thing I hate to see in this forum is blatant advertising for product, especially when the product is woefully mis-pitched or spartanly specified by the manufacturer. You will never see me market any of the several LED grow lights I have designed (and many I still have on the market). I will not do this to preserve the integrity of the forum. I leave that up to individuals that have actually tried a product and can report real data and true personal opinions.

Please know that this is not a personal attack on you, by me. Looking at the facts as you have presented them, then reviewing the technical data on the web site, I have these comments:

If it took them "several" months to get back to you, that is a red flag right there. Did you ask them why it took so long? Are you not important ($$$) enough for them to give you the time of day, or are they seriously understaffed? This would be absolutely unacceptable at any of the companies I own!

The owner does not understand spectrum required to grow MJ - so why does he speak to it at all? That seems irresponsible.

I am also a fast learner, and a formally trained solid state (LED) lighting designer, with 10 years' experience growing weed with LEDs, yet it took me 6 years to find the perfect spectrum for MJ. Here's a secret - I had to build my own LED from scratch, with a patent on the phosphor we developed.

Not all white is created equally. You can have 2x 2700degK LEDs, place them side-by-side, and they will look identical to the human eye, yet when you perform spectrum analysis on them, they are nothing alike - their peaks will be in different places and in different ratios. Your eye can not detect this, yet your plants most certainly will.

He's just now "investigating" more efficient white LEDs? He's in the business of selling white LEDs. It seems he should have his finger on the pulse of the white LED industry. Something about this story is not right...

I really despise misleading advertising in the LED Grow Light industry. It is the major reason LED grow lights are being held back. It is also the reason "wanna-be" vendors are reselling the same old red/blue spectrum from the same manufacturer that builds about 90% of what you see on the Internet. We all know that marketers appeal to people's emotions first and intellect (or lack thereof) second. Here are some problems I have with what they have to say about the SPYDR 600:

1. What is the power rating and why wouldn't they advertise it?
                  2. Where is the product data sheet?
                  3. Where are the testimonials?
                  4. While they imply it is a 300W device using 270 LEDs (presumably 3W), if this is true, the LEDs are being driven at 37% of capacity. This in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, but it leads me to the next question.
                  5. What kind of cooling are they using?
                  Just to stop here for a moment: HEAT is THE killer of LEDs. 99.9% of the time, when an LED dies, it is due to heat. All formal training in LED luminaire design stresses this more than any other design factor. This thing either needs to have serious heat sinks or fans, of which I see evidence of neither. I get at least one call per week from disgruntled clients from competitor's companies complaining that they have overheating issues, i.e., fans dead/LEDs out, etc.
                  6. They mention dimming in other literature on the site. There is no such thing as too much light coming from an artificial source. Nothing outside of a high-end lab can replicate the sun's output. FYI - right now, the sun in my area is producing
                  7. Where is the true spectrum map?
                  8. PAR values are deceiving and in this case, their "PAR testing" download proves my point: You can take 50W of LEDs with 90 degree lenses and achieve 1000umol/m2/s. I can take that same LED array and fit it with 30 degree lenses and double the PAR. However, the result is a much smaller footprint, as can be seen in their literature.
                  9. This is advertised as a "full spectrum" light, yet the glow emitted from it is pink/purple. This is, of course, created by primarily red and blue LEDs and the "full spectrum" claim is extremely misleading.
                  10. All of their testimonials seem to be written in the same "voice".
                  11. Someone with clout and design smarts in the white LED industry will demand consistent "binning" of their products. All white LEDs, even those that come from the same mfg line, will have different outputs. Sometimes the output difference is significant and changes the parameters of you light dramatically. They know this, as they posted the following disclaimer: "Actual performance may differ as a result of end-user environment and application and/or based on the LED bins used during fixture assembly". Unacceptable in a low-tolerance, frequency-specific application.
                  12. They use the Taiwanese "Mean Well" driver. They are the best.
                  13. Adding cool white AND blue LEDs to a fixture is a waste of space and money. The base frequency of cool white LEDs is generally 425nm Royal Blue.
                  14. The light bar products seem "gimmicky". They are under 1.5" wide and the 48" light bar is 50W nominal. Maybe OK for clones, but nothing else, unless you gang five together, at which point your grow lights for a 4'x4' area cost $1350. There are several great 250W LED grow lights out there for under $900.
                  15. Don't be mislead by the "assembled in the USA" statement. These are not "Made in USA" by Federal Trade Commission standards: Complying with the Made in USA Standard | BCP Business Center

Like I said, not a personal attack, just a review of the facts as presented by the company web site and your expressed communication with the owner.

Jonnywatt

Comment

Good PhatNuggz take a hike SPAMMER. And don't come back and don't let the door knob hit ya in the ass on the way out!!!

Comment

Hi folks. we can draw a line under this now. I wanted to have the thread deleted altogether, but will leave it for a while as Johnny's answer has some info in it that could be of use to other readers looking into LED systems.
                      Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X