No announcement yet.

Halo or spectrum king LEDs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great info Jonny. I'll be topping mine, for the first of at least 3 toppings, in the next week or so. Like to get them growing good and healthy for 4~6 weeks, first.

Planning on 9~10 weeks in veg, so they'll get big enough to make it worth my time and give me a good amount of finished, when it's all done.

I'll have to use stakes to hold them up, because I'm moving them out for sunlight, daily. Also believe the combo of sunlight and LED lighting will give me better quality medicine. Quality over quantity, I feel is better in my situation.

4 plants growing full term should give me enough medicine to last a full year, Hopefully. Just growing for personal usage anyways.

Comment

I am 1 month into flowering. About half the fan leaves are yellowing. Pulled them off. Using HPS, but hopefully will switch to LEDs. I hope to take them out for sun, but it's so blasted cold, I afraid it will upset them. also be careful not to upset their photo schedule. Let us know.

Comment

Turning yellow now is not good, unless you are keeping plant wet all the time,the only thing else that would cause yellow leaves is lack of light or lack of nitrogen! So take a look at these 3 possible problems and you should be able to correct the problem. Good luck, MN. I almost forgot to tell everybody that I mounted one of the 250watt L.E.D.'s on a temporary pole shining in toward the side of garden.I was amazed at the growth by the next morning! In measuring, I found that the plants put on 5inches in two day's! I was amazed! Everybody's little head was turning towards the new light. Mega Nute
        Last edited by Mega nute; 04-08-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

@johnnywatt. Wow!! You top that many times. Just curious?? . Does this drastically reduce your bud size??.
          And again, removal of those big fan leaves at the rate you do, does this affect your rate of growth?? Only, as these are the factory of the plants, and removal of them can only slow the plant right down, so, just curious as to how this works for you. And if it works for you, fantastic..

Comment

Advice wanted:

I am amazed at the difference it makes to have an led 450. My plants are now sprouting little tops everywhere. I now have some females from seeds and i want to know when is best to top them. What leaves to keep and not. etc.. My goal from start was to breed 5 healthy moms from seed so I don't want them to be too tall just very well garnished.

It's now time for me to learn how to top them properly and start making babies from those tops. I would like someone to walk me through the steps.

I have pics in my album and can provide new ones if you guys need to see the tops.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I don't think the tops are best for clones. The topping is to keep the plant from growing tall. It encourages bushy growth. Clones are best taken lower on the plant. That is what I have been doing.

Comment

about topping

Originally posted by chasb View Post
                I'm not sure, but I don't think the tops are best for clones. The topping is to keep the plant from growing tall. It encourages bushy growth. Clones are best taken lower on the plant. That is what I have been doing.
                This is a technical part that confuses me. I first had to wait for sex to appear. now that sex is female i want babies. I thought I was supposed to take tops and plant them. I am scared to cut anything off she is so beautiful.

Since blooming isn't part of my plan at the moment, my focus is to keep my plant bushy like you said. Not too tall either because i am in a small closet space and I hope to be able to keep it that way for a couple more months.

sometimes i don't use the right lingo but i am just learning atm.

So what do I do with her tops ? you said to clone from the bottom, why ? How? When ?

ELVIS_0407_1.jpg

Comment

Hey Freeze
                  Topping is just pinching out the growing tips to make her bushier. You can just throw these tips away. It seems harsh, but two will grow in their place.
                  Cloning is cutting off a growing tip and allowing it to become another baby plant that is an exact replica of the mother. Read more about it here.

Comment

Hey Freeze
                    Topping is just pinching out the growing tips to make her bushier. You can just throw these tips away. It seems harsh, but two will grow in their place.
                    Cloning is cutting off a growing tip and allowing it to become another baby plant that is an exact replica of the mother. Read more about it here.

Comment

Why not clone the tops?

Additionally, how close can i get my plants to the light ?
                      Last edited by FREEZE LANDER; 04-09-2014, 03:21 PM. Reason: question added

Comment

Hey guy's and girls, I finally got one of sk450 up! I mounted it on a piece of angle iron with holes and put the end of the angle iron in and old metal umbrella stand. After about 24 hrs I checked plants and I could not believe how much they grew overnite! If I could figure out someway to get pictures up I could show you. Anyway my plants love this light and would recommend it to anyone! MN

Comment

Originally posted by FREEZE LANDER View Post
                          Why not clone the tops?

Additionally, how close can i get my plants to the light ?
                          You SHOULD clone the tops. The warehouse growers are emphatic that the dead center tops maintain the purest genetics. It's all we use.

How close? With LEDs, as low as possible while still covering your crop. This assumes no heat is being pushed out the plant side of the fixture. If you have to raise it much more than 15", you need an additional light to make sure enough gets to the plants.

If you are talking about HPS, try to keep the plants (tops) at 80 degrees F. This will dictate how low you can go, which should be at least 24" or more.

jonnywatt

Comment

@jonnywatt

IMG_20140410_102032.jpg IMG_20140410_102023.jpg

Tupac's head is showing early signs of sun burn. his tips are yellow at the top. my light was 10" 3 days ago. he cought up 3 inches in 3 days (new sprouts) but the top isn't as nice as it was before i put the light up....

I am using bloom-technologies 450w double spectrum. It has 3 computer fans build in. it produces very little heat but for the closet it's perfect as it seems to move the air around too. but i can't find a user manual anywhere so it's hard to follow directions when u don't have any. Also, it have 2 modes, Veg and Bloom. I have no intentions on blooming atm. But i have heard to use both anyways. I do not understand this part so i only use the Veg mode right now.

I am going to top some head's off today and clone them. This should stop the burning. but i am still trying to figure this out.

Comment

Looking at the 2 pics it looks like a slight case of nute burn that's all. Just lay off the nutes for day or so and give just water when needed, she'll pick up you'll see.
                              Tell me what you find so confusing about topping,or cloning?? Topping is just pinching out the topermost growing tip. And cloning is removal of a 3-4inch. Length of growth, from anywhere on the plant. Clones taken from the bottom of the plants tend to root the best though. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you ALL !!

Im going to run my tests and come back with results. (I have one in water glass, five in soil with hormones and one without)

one more thing... Some plants dont like when all their babies get taken. is there some kind of ratio i should respect ?

like for example take 1/3 or 1/4 of the babies on the plant or is it safe take them all ?

Comment

Working...
                                X