Cloning question: when to clone & time to harvest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloning question: when to clone & time to harvest

I am new to this and after buying expensive seed want to clone. First: at what stage of development should the cuttings be taken from the mother plant? Second: if you have an auto-flowering plant that say takes 65 days to flower, does the 65 days start over with a new clone or is the time shortened? Thanks PBM
    Last edited by PBM; 10-27-2017, 03:58 PM.

HI PBM. Welcome to the forum.
    You can start to clone as soon as your plant is well established. A plant needs to be strong and healthy to produce good clones. You should consider topping when you have about 5 or 6 nodes to start her bushing out. Once she has recovered from this there should be some good sites to start cloning. You will need to let her recover each time, but you will be able to take more and more from her each time as she gets bigger and stronger and bushier.
    As for the auto, forget it, The clock is already ticking and the time has started, the clone will take but you will only have a few weeks of flowering time. Clone regular photoperiod plants only.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

• PBM
      PBM commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Happy Growing!

Did you read the page in cloning marijuana plants?

Comment

Originally posted by Schmokin View Post
      Did you read the page in cloning marijuana plants?
      I did...lol

Comment

oops, meant to put this one up.

Comment

Hey Ratt

Those are great looking clones. Looks like you were able to root 4 of 7. That's really not bad at all.

I failed to root in water dozens before realizing I was making some basic mistakes.

I've heard people take that netting off the peet pellets before transplanting. Not sure if they restrict root expansion that much.

Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Mass Medicinals View Post
            Hey Ratt

Those are great looking clones. Looks like you were able to root 4 of 7. That's really not bad at all.

I failed to root in water dozens before realizing I was making some basic mistakes.

I've heard people take that netting off the peet pellets before transplanting. Not sure if they restrict root expansion that much.

Nice work!
            Actually all 7 rooted, beginners luck I guess. The net is supposed to deteriorate over time. They are in soil now. Wish I could find someone nearby to trade with so I can try a different strain.

Comment

What are they? Not offering just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mass Medicinals View Post
                What are they? Not offering just asking.
                Chemdawg 4, from Dark Heart nurseries.

Comment

Nice to get 7 out of 7. Not just beginner's luck. I think once you've cracked it it becomes easy eh. I used to only get so many to take and then all of a sudden I just started getting about 100% success rate. Just keep banging away at it.
                  I think the top 3 things I learnt from it were:

A heat source under the propagator
                  A good strong donor plant.
                  Taking from the lower branches rather than the top.

Now that I think about it, of all of these, I think it was adding the heat source that was the game changer in my set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnalia View Post
                    Nice to get 7 out of 7. Not just beginner's luck. I think once you've cracked it it becomes easy eh. I used to only get so many to take and then all of a sudden I just started getting about 100% success rate. Just keep banging away at it.
                    I think the top 3 things I learnt from it were:

A heat source under the propagator
                    A good strong donor plant.
                    Taking from the lower branches rather than the top.

Now that I think about it, of all of these, I think it was adding the heat source that was the game changer in my set up.
                    I just followed the steps outlined by people with much more knowledge than I have about it. Some of them were tops I cut off actually.

Comment

Working...
                    X