rockwool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockwool

How long does it take for a seedling to show roots coming out of the rock wool? Mine doesnt seem to be growing at all and still no roots showing thru the cube.

Hey Katzie_wolf, sorry for the delay, I find it takes a bit longer to get roots in rockwool. It is important to not over water them in this stage. I just add enough water to soak them and leave a bit run out, then let that get soaked back up and dry out a bit before adding again. The problem IMO, with the small cubes is, they are really good at what they do, that is holding water and wicking it up... so the young plants are not going to need to send out roots as there is plenty available. this is why you need to let them get a little dry, so the roots go looking for water. 10 to 14 days is pretty normal, but even 21 days is not out of the question... I actually only mist for that week, let the roots go searching for whatever moisture is underneath the cubes... which is whatever drips when I spray which seems to be enough. You want to wait until you have at least 1/4 inch of root sticking out, more is fine, but at least one tendril sticking out the bottom...

IMG00437.jpg

If you go into another medium too early, they will just wick up the nutrients and never establish a good root zone, or at least it takes considerably longer. it's a case of more is not better at this stage. Meaning more nutrients or water will actually stall root growth in the early stages.

Comment

also, you should notice a burst of new growth at about the same time your roots get going, small new leaf sets will appear when the roots tell the plant they are getting enough to support new growth...

Comment

Thanks coconutisland, i just started using peat pellets and they are looking nice and healthy.

Comment

Working...
        X