Cloning without cloning gel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloning without cloning gel

Hi everyone. I've been reading a bit about cloning whilst getting ready for my next project. Lots of people saying there is no need for cloning gel, just use water. Other people using willow tea or honey with good success rates. Just wondered if anybody here had any experience of cloning without using gel?

Cloning gel or powder are just stimulates to quicken root development, using water is just going to take longer is all, that's my thoughts about it anyways.

Comment

I know quite a few people who don't use rooting gel and claim that it makes no difference to them. I did once know a guy who made his own willow tea and used to swear by how effective it was. Nice to make your own natural stuff instead of buying in products that you don't know the provenance of. Having said that - I believe that willow is a basic ingredient in some commercial rooting products anyway.
      My own experience was that rooting gel speeds up the process and doesn't cost too much money to add to your armoury. Having invested time and money in getting your plants to the cutting stage, it seems a shame to scrimp right at the end.
      I have never heard of honey being used. I just did a quick search after reading this post. Very interesting. I would be interested to see how well it works.

Comment

Back when, they used to wet um, stick um in root tone and stick um in dirt. Mist 4 times a day - some made it some didn't.
        Honey is used in a bunch of old school remedies - suppose to have healing powers - burns, cuts, rashes. might try that one my self as I don't have good luck cloning w/gel - slo

Comment

I actually threw out my Olivia's cloning gel after using first time.the cuttings that were put in dirt rooted faster than that one.A cheap setup that I have used over the years for rooting about anything.i have a 20 gallon fish tank that I put a garden heat pad under. Inside the tank I put a piece of folded wire so that cups I am rooting in will be 2 inches off floor. I spray the inside walls of the fish tank with plain water and alittle on the floor of tank. Cover with Saran Wrap leaving one end of plastic open on fish tank so any excess heat can escape.ad water. As walls dry out on you! This has been foolproof for me for several yrs. now! I also picked up a little gadget on Amazon that controls the heating pad, so if I can't be home I don't have to worry about overheating the cuttings!! Good luck! Mega nute

Comment

I start all my clones off in an aeroponic chamber that I bought. I have 99:9% success. It takes anywhere from 9-14 days for a nice healthy root system. At
            ain it also depends from where on the mother plant you took your cuttings as to how long they take. Newer growth on mothers root faster than older branches.

Comment

Some very good points made there G.G. and i am in total agreeement with that and dont know whether you have noticed the difference in the yields too? that might just be me but i think that the lower down you take clone the better the yield, it may not be the case, but just something i have noticed Lollipop

Comment

Ok, here's a question given to me and I did not answer well. Is it ok to take cuttings from a feminized plant and make more plants? I have always used reg seeds when possible and you don't have this problem. And I meant to say plant from a feminized seed! Lol. MN

Comment

I've been taking clones from a fem plant ( fem seed) for generations of the plant. Then taken a clone from a clone and so on and have never noticed a drop off in yield ( strain I use:- afghan kush) Bought original seed stock 3 yrs ago now and still running them. So I would say yes.

Comment

Thanks for the input people.
                    Have built myself a wee cloning station in an old fridge. I will start taking clones in a couple of weeks. Will try a couple of different methods as a comparison and post the results.
                    My heart wants honey to be best, but lets see what actually happens.

Comment

@ Saturnalia hows the cloning going my friend ? Im very interested in how its going for you. Its such a good feeling when you first succeed in doing something you have nt done before. I myself have just started trying too grafting different strain onto 1 stem i have got upto 5 different strain ATM but would like too beat a record held by a friend of mine 11 but dont know if i will manage it, just abit of fun between friends LMAO be lucky Lollipop

Comment

Working...
                      X