Harlequin-New strain for me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harlequin-New strain for me!

Hey all, trying a new strain out, that seems a little more like destiny to me than luck. I went to a local dispensary on Tuesday night with my daughter looking to try some new strains out. We had looked at their inventory before leaving the house and decided we were going to try Blue Dream and Agent Orange, because we wanted to experiment with a higher CBD and a higher THC. According to what this dispensary has listed for content, the Blue Dream was a 20.4% THC and no CBDs, while Agent was a 5.84% THC, and 5.39% CBDs. When we got there and started looking over the menu again, I decided to try Harlequin instead of Agent Orange. Harlequin was listed as having 14.4% THC, and 1.20% CBD. But it was a little cheaper.

We got home, smoked the Blue Dream first, and it was good, kind of a dreamy high, and a real creeper weed. Took about 5 minutes, maybe a little more to fully hit me, but the effects don't last very long. Or at least the weed I had didn't. Once we were down, I ground up some Harlequin to try that. Well, when I opened the grinder, I found a tiny seed, kind of tear drop shaped, stuck in one of the holes in the grinder. It didn't look like it would germinate, but hey, I decided to give it a try, as it's only a few days in wet paper towels, right? Well, we put the seed in paper towels immediately. That was around 9 or 10PM.

Got up the next morning, checked the paper towels, and they seemed a little dry, so I added a little water. Looked at the seed, and didn't really see any difference. When my daughter got home that night, I looked at the seed again, and I'll be damned if the little bugger hadn't split the seed casing already. This is Wednesday night, around 24 hours after starting germination. When I got up Thursday morning, I checked the seed again, and there was a half inch curved root. I waited until Friday morning to plant the seed. That was yesterday. I put the seed in the peat pot, tip down, and placed about half an inch of moss on the top of the seed. That was at around 4PM. I looked in on the seed late last night, and I swear it looked like the seed was already trying to push the peat moss out of the way. I was thinking to myself, you're just having a bout of wishful thinking.

Well, I wasn't. I got up around 9:30 this morning, checked on my other 2 plants, and decided I'd look in on the new seed. Well, it's a seedling now. 2 small leaves are poked up just at soil level. The only thing I can say, is it must be a fate seed, lol.

What I want to ask though, is if anyone is familiar with this strain, and could maybe shed some light on it's growing attributes, as well as why the same strain is listed with so many different levels of THC and CBD. I did a little research, and from what I'm seeing, most of the other people who have smoked this strain are saying the THC levels of this strain are more along the lines of 8 or 9% and mine was tested by the dispensary as having 14.4% THC. They are also stating that this strain has as high as 18% CBD, yet the dispensary where mine was purchased tested this strain at 1.2% CBD. I guess my question here is, "Did my dispensary perhaps harvest sooner than nature intended, or is it possible for one strain to have variations of this degree?"

That does sound like a lot of variation, but I believe there is a lot of variation from plant to plant, depending on environmental conditions, time of harvest, and of course natural genetic variations within the strain.
    I wouldn't worry about any of that though, I'd stick with the fate thought. Sounds like it could be destined to be a great plant. Grow it with care, and take some cuttings. If it's a girl it could turn out to be a great mum.
    Good luck.

Comment

Here's what seedfinder are saying.... Info about the clone-only cannabis strain "Harlequin" :: SeedFinder :: Strain Info

Comment

From what I've read, many of the high CBD strains aren't stabilized.

You have an equal chance of getting a fairly even amount of THC to CBD, extremely high THC/very low CBD or very low THC/very high CBD depending on phenotype.
        So, seeds are risky if you're trying to get specific results.
        (That's why there only a few big-name breeders on the seed market offering high CBD strains. CBD Crew is probably the best source right now if you don't have access to a dispensary that sells clones.)

There's a good chance that your dispensary is using a supplier that has a good mother that's been tested so they're fairly sure of what the clones are putting out.

I've heard great things about Harlequin by the way, so enjoy.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys, will continue growing and post what I see. So far the plant is on its 4th set of branches at a little over 2 weeks. Growing like a weed!

Comment

Harlequin at a little over 1 Month

The plant is doing good, however, growth in the vegetative stage seems to be rather slow for Cannabis. I'm thinking it may have something to do with my soil mix for this plant. Normally I add vermiculite but since the mix I used claimed to already have the correct amount of vermiculite, I didn't add any more, and I believe the soil is compacting and slowing root growth. I topped it a week ago in order to promote more side branch growth, as the plant had bud sites at the fan leaf junctures, but the buds weren't really growing, they were just starts. Since then, the plant has really started showing good growth there. Upward growth has been slow though, even before I topped it.
            Attached Files

Comment

First day of Flowering

Here are some pictures of the Harlequin plant, first day of flowering. Still not sure it's a female at this point, but seeing some growth that is amazing. I had a start at the top of the plant that looked a little deformed, from when I topped the plant. When I put it in my flowering room last night, all it was was a slightly deformed leaf. This morning I took it out of the dark room and placed it back in sunlight, and that leaf now has a half inch stem below it. The two lower grow tips have jumped almost 2 inches and are now taller than the main stem and fan leaves where the new grow tip is. If this plant IS female, I expect to have some really nice buds based on the growth I'm seeing now. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.
              Attached Files

Comment

It's a GIRL!!!!!

Well, she showed her sex to me this morning. She is definitely female. I have one branch tip that is a mass of pistols. The other branch across from this one still hasn't shown me anything, but the plant is growing more and more every day. Have had to double my watering over the last 5 days due to the amazing growth I am seeing. Where as before the soil stayed moist on top for a couple of days, it is now drying up enough to have to water every day. Right now I am leaching with just water. But will start feeding her Bloom ferts tomorrow. Here are a few pictures of the pistols at the top branch, as well as a couple of long shots showing the entire plant.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hurray! It's always a nice moment when you see those pistils.
                  I was reading the following about Harlequin which I found very interesting. Nothing about stretch though. Do you know how much she stretches during flowering?

Anyway ......

Clone Only Strains - Harlequin
                  Harlequin is one phenotype of a plant bred to produce hashish. The genes are 75% sativa and 25 % indica. The Sativas include an early-1970s Columbian Gold, a Thai from the mountains near Laos, and a Swiss native land race that was bred for consumption of cattle. The Indica is from Nepal's Mustang state. These are all high-elevation plants... Harlequin is available as a clone at dispensaries in the Bay Area that are participants in Project CBD, including Sparc and the Vapor Room. The smell and taste are sweet with an almost syrupy heaviness that is pleasant on the inhale and the exhale. she needs about 60 to 70 days indoors to finish her full flowering. She sets flowers fairly quickly compared to other strains. I see fingertip-sized bud set at two weeks of flower - compared to pencil-eraser size in other plants at the same two weeks of flower. She really needs some way to support the colas the last few weeks because the trichomes and flowering tops get so heavy. Along those same lines, in a drying room where strains like Blueberry or Bubba Kush take seven to 10 days for drying before curing, the Harlequin can take as long as three weeks. She can be completely obscured by 'sugar' to where she looks "frosted".

Cannabinoids in Harlequin Leaf?
                  Earlier this year Wilson Linker, a sales executive at Steep Hill Lab, tested leaves taken from a Harlequin plant about five weeks after it was started indoors from a clone. "Still completely in veg," he says of the plant. Linker took leaves from different various parts of the plant, ground them up, and tested them by GC/MS. To his surprise, the leaf tested at approximately 4% CBD and 2% THC.

Linker repeated the test and confirmed the results with another Harlequin clone started the same day. Key questions will be answered by more testing: Do all Harlequin plants produce cannabinoids in the vegetative state? Do other CBD-rich strains have this trait?

"The true benefit," says Linker, "would be that you could extract the CBD in mid-summer, not wait for buds before harvesting. There's obvious implications for making edibles and tinctures. Imagine not having to deal with a harvest!"

Comment

Bloom growth

Since I started flowering it on Sunday night, 6 days ago, I have seen the plant stretch 6 to 7 inches. I have one center branch that was just a leaf when I started her flowering. It is 5 inches tall now, in 6 days. I am actually watering her 2 times a day also. She is taking in water and nutrients almost as fast as I can get them into the soil. As an example, I gave her nutrients last night, flooded the bucket until there was slight drainage. When I took her from the flowering room this morning, the soil on top was dry, continuing down a few inches into the bucket. I poured about 2/3 of a gallon of water into the bucket and none of it drained out. This is using a 5 gallon bucket. Almost wish I had a way to water it during the night, as she seems to be taking up as much or more water and nutrients during the dark stage. If she continues growing as she is now, she will surpass the growth stage for growth. I seriously only expect another 2 weeks of this before she starts making flowers. At that point all outward growth will slow as she puts all her energy into flowers.

Comment

2 weeks into flower

The plant is setting flowers like crazy at this point. There are flower tops on every branch tip. Most are still small, but there are a few that are pretty good sized for a plant only 2 weeks old. Posting a few pics for your viewing pleasure...
                      Attached Files

Comment

is very strange, never heard such a thing

Comment

Working...
                        X