An autoflowering seed starts to flower, creating buds regardless of the amount of direct sunlight the plant receives. Typically autoflowering weed seed strains will be ready to harvest in less than 10 weeks when they reach maturity and are relatively short, less than 1 meter in height.
Some autoflowering varieties known as “super autos” can take over 100 days to mature and can grow over 2 meters tall. If you looking to purchase Super Auto seeds we would recommend Super Stinky or Super Cali Haze.
Before auto seed strains were invented the amount of light the marijuana plant received dictated when the plant would bud.
Obviously the light can be controlled indoors under lights so this was not a big problem. However it is great if you do not need to consider when you need to reduce the amount of light and just concentrate on growing the plant and let the budding take care of itself.
If you wished to grow the plant outdoors it was essential to plant your non autoflowering weed at the right time of the year.
The optimum time of the year to plant your weed would have been late Spring. At this time of the year the whether is not too hot for a small seedling. Then the plant would grow for the entire summer and begin to bud when the hours of light reduce in the autumn.
If you planted your weed too late in the year, the plant would bud before it has a chance to mature. Hence you would end up missing out on loads of buds.
So autoflowering cannabis seeds have created a revolution for growers. They are now hugely popular just like feminized seeds. The advantages of autoflowering seeds are as follows:
- If you grow outdoors you are able to grow up to 3 harvests per year, compared to 1 harvest per year for non autoflowering strains.
- These plants are very discreet, the genetics dictate that the plant will be small. You can even grow these strains on a balcony or window sill with far less risk of neighbours finding out.
- The growth cycle is very short, it only takes 60 to 70 days from germination to harvest. So it is possible to have 5 sets of crops per year when grown indoors.
- They are very hard and are resistant to many diseases and moulds. They are bred from Cannabis Ruderalis which originated in central Asia.
- Normally cold weather is not a problem, so they are perfect for the outdoors.
- Provide for more flexibility regardless of wheather you are growing indoors or outdoors.
- These types of weed plants are easy to grow as levels of light do not directly affect the budding process.
There are two main disadvantages associated with autoflowering weed seeds:
- Because they are shorter yet get lower yields. They are perfect for Guerrilla farmers who grow many short plants.
- The THC level is considerably lower than potent indica or sativa strains. However autoflowering strains are developing rapidly so it is likely that we will begin to see some higher THC strains.
Our favorite autoflowering, feminized strains:
Biodiesel Mass – Advanced seeds have made a lovely strain which grows to an impressive 150 cm outdoors. As the name implies it has the distinctive diesel taste and is very resinous with a THC concentration of 17%. It is a cross between Auto Critical and Auto Diesel.
Northern Lights Autoflowering – This famous Northern Lights strain which is high in THC at 26% has now been bred into an autoflowering feminized strain. The THC concentration for this strain is around 17%. It grows to 1.2 meters and can produce large yields.
Lowryder #2 – Is an improvement on the hugely popular Lowryder strain. It is an all round better strain compared to its predecessor. The only slight drawback for some is that it is a slightly taller than Lowryder which makes it little less discreet. However it yields more and has a higher potency.
Auto Skunk Mass - A relatively low THC concentration of 14% however it is high in resin which is crucial for a enjoyable session. It has excellent genetics, it is a cross between Critical Mass and Skunk #1. Buds are dense so it is possible to get high yields.
Fast Bud #2 – As the name implies the buds grow really quickly. Plants are mature within 5 weeks inside and 7 and a half weeks outdoors. The yield and flavor have been improved compared to the original. The taste of the weed is sweet with a diesel after taste. Also the THC is high at roughly 17% what more could you expect from an autoflowering variety?