Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Indica or Sativa, does anyone know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Indica or Sativa, does anyone know?

The seeds came to me from a friend. I am very new to gardening, and I'm curious as to what strain this may be?

If anyone has an idea, please tell?

Attached Files

indica or sativa

generally speaking sativa's are long and thin leaves while indica's are fat it looks like a sativa to me.....

Comment

Originally posted by doc_holliday View Post
      generally speaking sativa's are long and thin leaves while indica's are fat it looks like a sativa to me.....

Yup that looks to be a sativa and here is my indica for comparison.

2.jpg

Comment

compare

family 132.jpgfamily 133.jpgfamily 134.jpg

the first two are sativa and the last one is indica.....

Comment

Both

My two cents goes to an Afghanistan/Pakistan cross meaning the 70 - 80's when European hippies started invading said countries in search of the "Seed". These type of plants tend to show both treats if watched hard and long through the end result at times they resemble a sativa then a week later you'll see indicia. For the joy of it the end smoke either way I have found to be top quality. I'd say watch for 8-9 week amber trichromes. Say 20 % then grab the scissors. So my guess is a cross. Enjoy.

Comment

It APPEARS to be sativa dominant, and as doc holliday said, long and thin = sativa, and short and fat = indica. That being said, I have seen plants (indoors) that I would have bet my thumb on that it was sativa, and the smoke was full indica, and vice versa. With all the hybrids out there, it is hard to tell anymore. In my opinion, the genes for leaf shape and the genes for canabinoid profile are as succeptible to crossing over and recombination as any others. What I am getting at is that in my experience, you can have sativa effects from an indica looking plant, and vice versa.

Landrace plants are a whole different story. They tend to stick to the long/thin - short/fat rule, and their effects are so pure. I would highly recommend everyone get some landrace seeds whenever possible.

Comment

How will I know when these are ripe for harvest?

This plant came from some very old seeds, at least 10 years old. Found a bunch that I had saved years ago, and I only saved the best.

I attempted to germinated 3, and all were successful. 2 of the 3 were female

I think initially I had my lights set to high, and they stretched a lot.

How should I know when these are ripe for harvest?

Comment

Sativa

Sativa ..............
                Malawi Gold 3week in G13 seed bank.......
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Smokesalot; 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

As has been said, these are more than likely hybrids. I think it's pretty difficult to tell for sure exactly what strain. Most strains are now hybrids and the growth pattern and head effect will not necessarily correspond with each other (it might grow like a sativa and smoke like an indica or vice versa, or probably somewhere in between!!).
                  Harvesting will depend on what you want out of it. If these plants do have a strong sativa genetic then you should consider putting them on 12/12 quite early as they may stretch a lot during flowering. The flowering period could be lengthy too. Smokesalot's advice on the trichomes is good. Check out this page here for more info on when to harvest.

Comment

Week 4 of 12/12

Same plant, into week 4 of the 12/12 lighting.

Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to post these

These are 4 weeks into a 12/12 lighting schedule. The buds are many, but still small. I'm hoping it continues to grow for a few more weeks. Whatcha think?

Attached Files

Comment

That my friend looks like a beautiful sativa plant. It looks nice and healthy. keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 8675309 View Post
                          These are 4 weeks into a 12/12 lighting schedule. The buds are many, but still small. I'm hoping it continues to grow for a few more weeks. Whatcha think?

Oh yeah, she still has a long way to go before finished. And it does seem to be following a more sativa-like growth pattern (long and thin lateral branching and the shape of the flower clusters, also). However, being only 4 weeks into 12/12, and already being well developed like that leads me to believe you have some indica influence in there. I have seen pure sativas go 4 weeks or more and BARELY show pistills, and not look that well developed until probably the 7-8th week.

Bottom line, I would be expecting mainly sativa-like effects from your plant. And "being" (if it really IS the case) mainly sativa, I would also expect at least another 5-6 weeks before harvest.

It looks great, "Jenny". Keep it up
                          Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by 8675309 View Post
                            This plant came from some very old seeds, at least 10 years old. Found a bunch that I had saved years ago, and I only saved the best.

I attempted to germinated 3, and all were successful. 2 of the 3 were female

I think initially I had my lights set to high, and they stretched a lot.

How should I know when these are ripe for harvest?

Maybe I can't see what you see, but I wouldn't call the plants stretched at all. They look completely natural to me. And smokesalot has it right when he says watch the trichomes to determine optimum harvest time. You will need a small microscope for this (radioshack sells them for electronic work), probably at least 30x ? (mine goes from 60x to 100x, and I have figured a viewing area of about 1mm^2, and is WAY MORE than enough to see what you are looking for). ~20% amber trichomes for a good "all around" smoke. *Less/no amber for a more clear high, and more/all amber for the opposite effect.

*based on anecdotal evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Katzie_Wolf71 View Post
                              Yup that looks to be a sativa and here is my indica for comparison.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374[/ATTACH]

l have a few out door indica like urs ,myn ar in flower ,,,,,,,,,micl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,also l have a few out door sativa,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,micl

Comment

Working...
                              X