Your Thought's on Marc Emery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thought's on Marc Emery?

A very well known Marijuana Activist in Canada. His wife is a very dedicated lady herself. How many of you have heard of this man? No matter where you live I am pretty sure he is well known or at least heard of him or her once or twice.

5087-PrinceOfPot-Jodie.jpg

Katzie i will be honest i understand the bloke has done quite abit for the cannabis movement on yourside of the pond but tobe honest the way i saw him portrade was abit Noncy Here in UK a Nonce is a child milester, i cant remember what i saw it on but the way i saw it he is a guy who has past his prime and has now found that being into the Marajuana scene he gets the chance too hang around with a load of youngsters and they all seem too look upto him and lick his arse, thats only my opinion and could be totaly wrong about the guy. Now his misses thats another story shes just looking for a father figure in my eyes, but as i say that just my take on the guy, and im sorry if i have affended you that was not my intention at all be lucky Lollipop

Comment

Not offended cause he is far by what you say Lollipop in his younger years he went into politics then left that and got into marijuana activism....

Emery moved to Vancouver, British Columbia in March 1994, and founded a store called Hemp BC on July 7. His store played a major part in expanding Canada's then very small and underground industry in cannabis-related paraphernalia.[32] Bongs and pipes are illegal to sell or promote in Canada under section 462.2 of the Criminal Code,[33] and were not readily available in Canada at the time. Emery imported and wholesaled a variety of bongs, pipes and other cannabis-related items, and encouraged other people to open their own "Hemp Stores" across Canada.[34][35]

In late 1994, a court challenge sponsored by Emery convinced an Ontario judge to overturn the Canadian prohibition on marijuana and drug-related literature, making it legal for High Times Magazine and marijuana grow books to be sold in Canada once more.[26][28]

Emery began selling marijuana seeds in late 1994, after attending the High Times Cannabis Cup and being inspired by a Dutch seed store named Sensi Seeds.[36] In early 1995 he launched Cannabis Canada Magazine, which was renamed Cannabis Culture Magazine in 1998.

In December 1995, Emery and his seed business were featured on the front page of the Wall Street Journal,[37] leading to a deluge of media attention.[38] One month later, in January 1996, Hemp BC was raided by Vancouver police who seized Emery's bongs and seeds and charged him with selling marijuana seeds and "promoting vaporizers." He was later convicted and given a $2200 fine, $500 for each of four counts of selling marijuana seeds and $200 for vaporizer promotion.[39]

Emery re-opened his store the next day, and continued to sell paraphernalia and marijuana seeds. By 1997 he had expanded his store to include a Grow Shop, a Legal Assistance Centre, and the Cannabis Cafe, which featured a custom-built vaporizer built into every table.[34][40]

On October 12, 1997, Marc Emery was featured on CNN Impact in an episode called "Canada Cannabis."[41] The announcer referred to Emery as the "Prince of Pot" and the label stuck.[42] This drew major international media attention to Emery and his Hemp BC store once more.

The Vancouver police returned on December 16, 1997, once again emptying his store of seeds and paraphernalia, as well as taking the vaporizers out of the Cannabis Cafe. Police claimed to have seized about $1.6 million worth of marijuana-related merchandise, plus tens of thousands of marijuana seeds.[43]

Emery was jailed but not charged with any seed or paraphernalia offences[44] but he was charged and convicted of "assaulting a police officer" because he spat on a police officer while they were forcibly removing protestors from in front of the store. In a later interview, Emery stated "I was found guilty and fined two hundred dollars. My defence was that it was justifiable as they were assaulting my employees. We have video tape of them kicking, shoving objects at, using a truncheon, and pulling on the hair of David Malmo-Levine and Ian Roberts. I wanted to show my disgust in a non-violent way, and to draw the police toward me and away from my employees."[45]

Emery was also banned from returning to the 300 block of West Hastings, where his businesses were located.[46]

Emery re-opened Hemp BC the next day[47] but then sold the store to his manager shortly thereafter, who suffered repeated raids during 1998[48] and then had her business license revoked by the city.[49][50][51]

Emery's seed business was raided again at its office location on April 30, 1998, and Emery was charged with selling marijuana seeds. Another raid on September 2, 1998, saw Emery jailed overnight again and his seeds confiscated, but no charges were laid. He was convicted from the April raid in 1999, and given a $2000 fine.[39]

In August 1998, Vancouver Mayor Philip Owen had told the New York Times that Hemp BC was "going to be toast by September."[52]

Court documents showed that four American navy undercover agents attempted to buy marijuana and smoke it at the Cannabis Cafe. The documents showed the Naval Criminal Investigative Service agents worked in a joint operation with Vancouver police in April 1998.[53]

Emery was convicted on charges of selling marijuana seeds in 1998, and received a $2000 fine.[54] He switched his walk-in marijuana seed business to mail-order only, and continued to publish Cannabis Culture magazine. In early 2000 he was expanding again, with the establishment of Pot-TV, a marijuana-related video channel.[55][56]

In 2001, Emery was a featured presenter at Idea City,[57] an annual gathering of notable Canadians organized by Moses Znaimer.

In November 2002, then US Drug Czar John Walters visited Vancouver to give a speech at a luncheon sponsored by the Vancouver Board of Trade. Emery bought a table for himself and other local cannabis activists, and heckled Walters as he spoke about the need for Canada to embrace the "War on Drugs."[58][59]

From 1998 until his arrest in 2005, Emery paid provincial and federal taxes as a "marijuana seed vendor" totalling nearly $600,000.[54]

Emery has described himself as a "major financial backer of almost every pro-pot effort in North America and many more around the world." He claims that he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in election campaigning for the Canadian Marijuana Party, BC Marijuana Party and the Vancouver Marijuana Party. He also claims to have funded numerous marijuana activist groups, paid for several major legal challenges to aspects of Canada's cannabis laws, and made large donations to various pro-pot ballot initiatives in US states such as California, Nevada, Alaska and Arizona, plus financially backed pro-cannabis activities in New Zealand, Australia, Russia and elsewhere around the world

Comment

And hes in a Amercian prison for selling marijuana seeds so go figure since how many outifts are out there now doing the exact same thing but they're not in jail. Actually he should be out this year i think.

Comment

I remember his arrest and I remember a petition going around, but I am afraid that's it. Now I am just asking asking because I don't know. It sounds like the Canadian police wanted him bad enough to get the U.S to go after him to.or did the U.S. Drug wars put pressure on Canada to shut him up? I don't remember and would like to know! MN

Comment

Working...
          X