1st Timer looking for help with Harlequin Grow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Timer looking for help with Harlequin Grow

Hey all! I am going to be giving a shot at growing 2 plants for my first try. One is Harlequin, the other is Cannatonic. I am a fan of the higher CBD strains and wanted to grow some for myself. I am using a indoor grow tent with a 300W Full Spectrum LED light. From what I read this should suffice for the 2. But like I said, I'm a 1st timer so I don't want to bomb out. I will be picking up the 2 clones later in the week when they arrive but with that comes some questions.

Do you transfer to a 5 gallon bucket right away? If not, how soon?
    Distance of light from plants? I have the lights setup on a pully system to move up as needed.
    How long do I maintain the 12/12 light ration before flipping to 18/6. I have those number right, right?
    Water only when the soil is dry correct?
    Do I need to add stuff to the soil at all or is it good to go right out of a mix?
    How can I make sure to keep it a high CBD/THC ratio?
    When is the time or what tells you its time to clip off and dry?

I know that's a lot of questions but my hopes is someone with experience with these babies can help me here. I heard Harlequin has a long dry time, not sure about Cannatonic.

I am open to any and all words of wisdom you guys can give me. Thank you!

Originally posted by jamorg View Post
    Hey all! I am going to be giving a shot at growing 2 plants for my first try. One is Harlequin, the other is Cannatonic. I am a fan of the higher CBD strains and wanted to grow some for myself. I am using a indoor grow tent with a 300W Full Spectrum LED light. From what I read this should suffice for the 2. But like I said, I'm a 1st timer so I don't want to bomb out. I will be picking up the 2 clones later in the week when they arrive but with that comes some questions.
    High there!
    Growing weed can be as easy or as hard as you make it, let this be said by a dude who succeeded even the first time, but who made mistakes and still making new, because every grow is a bit different and there are always improvements possible. This hobby is really interesting, there a tons of different ways of growing cannabis.
    I'll try to answer your questions quick and easy, although here and there some additional info might be needed to answer correctly.

Do you transfer to a 5 gallon bucket right away? If not, how soon?
    get the confirmation from the place you're getting your clones, that the clones are fully established, and replant asap. There are quite a few recommendations lately that suggest to use 5 gallon pots if using coco and liquid nutrients, but go for 7 or even 10 gallon if using organic good soil. Some even make their own soil mix and swear by it. google "super soil cannabis".

Distance of light from plants? I have the lights setup on a pully system to move up as needed.
    Depends on the light. I'm assuming here your light is of a cheaper variety ebay/amazon and you didn't pay more than $100-150 for it. If so, that light doesn't really draw the 300w (would be great if you have a power meter, or confirm from seller what's the real power draw). That should confirm the quality/strength of that light.
    In any case, I'd aim for 20-25 inches max distance, and see how low can you go without hurting those young tips. Probably as low as 10 inches, but be aware and move it up daily as they grow.
    Thing is, if the light is far away, plants will try and stretch to reach it, thus becoming tall and lanky. You don't want that, you want your plants short and wide. That is best done with some basic plant training (google LST-low stress training), and keeping the lights in the right distance range.

How long do I maintain the 12/12 light ration before flipping to 18/6. I have those number right, right?
    No, you got the numbers mixed up. Young plants start with 18/6 (18 hours light and 6 darkness), I'd give them 6-8 weeks like that (that depends a lot on the type of training you decide to do), than switch to flowering (12/12).
    Less training means plant grows taller quicker, but produces less bud. More training (or better to say "more aggressive training") means a bit slower grow rate at the beginning but more bud at the end.

Water only when the soil is dry correct?
    Water when the top inch of the soil becomes dry, or when your plant shows you she's thirsty. Good draining soil mix is essential.

Do I need to add stuff to the soil at all or is it good to go right out of a mix?
    You need to choose the right soil mix for your grow. I can't suggest anything because I don't even know where you live, what's available (and anyway, I grow in coco, and I use liquid nutrients). google "best soil mix for growing marijuana", maybe in connection with the place you live.

How can I make sure to keep it a high CBD/THC ratio?
    You can't really. That's the genes, and that's why you chose the strains that you did. Your job is to keep the girls healthy, and they shall produce as their genes suggest.

When is the time or what tells you its time to clip off and dry?
    Firstly, and maybe best for the start is to ask the guy who gives you the clones. He should tell you how long it shall take FROM THE DAY OF THE SWITCH TO 12/12 to harvest. Harvesting window is apparently 3-4 weeks, and the "performance" of the bud changes during that time period. Depends what you expect from your smoke.
    Also, it is a good idea to get an USB microscope. You will be watching the trichomes (aka crystals) on your buds in the late stage of flowering. As long as they're clear, they're not ready. They shall become all milky, and some even amber, that is what most growers aim for.

I know that's a lot of questions but my hopes is someone with experience with these babies can help me here. I heard Harlequin has a long dry time, not sure about Cannatonic. I am open to any and all words of wisdom you guys can give me. Thank you!
    I hope I could help a bit. If you run into problems, make sure to post photos of it.
    For more tips I would like to suggest this link and especially tip number 7.
    Grow on, bud!
    Last edited by HobbyGardener; 04-04-2017, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• jamorg
      jamorg commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey HobbyGardener! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated. Let me see if I can give you some info that may help with a few of the things you gave me.

I am in Southern Oregon, but the grow will be indoors in a 32x32x64 grow tent. The light is a Vparspectra reflector series 300 Watt, and you nailed it, from Amazon The soil I have is some standard Miracle Grow nutrient filled growing soil, hope that is ok for a start. Thank you so much for the clarification on the times, wouldn't have botched that one up. I will make sure to ask the dispensary about the clones as far as the time. I have done some research on Harlequin its flower times, lots of stuff on the web, but man it has a long curing time. Its 2 ladies, and a 1st time so hoping I can get something worthwhile out of it. Thank you for the tips and info, very much appreciated!

Hey jamorg , I've read that people don't like MiracleGrow much, but instead seem to love FoxFarm brand. Apparently Miracle Grow is too hot soil and will burn youngsters. Also some soils have incorporated fertilizers for 6+ months, (slow release), apparently not good for cannabis indoors, but really I can't comment on that much, as I just grow in coco. In any case, don't over water, keep them healthy and make sure they don't suffer heat stress.
    I'd hang that light about 15" away and try and drop down to 10" if it doesn't produce heat. Trial and error, but be careful. Too high and plants stretch too much, too low and you cook them.
    You should defo be able to pull it off, and get yourself some great buds. Keep reading across the web, get into a few other forums, too.
    One more tip, with the best wishes: watch out for bugs! A few bugs today may turn into a nightmare literally overnight! Growing indoors means there are absolutely no natural defence systems available (ie no good insects), meaning any sort of pest you get into your grow room will thrive!
    Good luck and keep posting!

Comment

If you want an organic garden you would not use miracle grow, its has organics in it but also chemicals. There are lots of different fertilizers available Check out different shops and look at the compounds in them. Humbolt County has some, Fox Farm etc.

Comment

Hi jamorg. Welcome to the forum.
        Some good advice there from HobbyGardener. Don't hesitate to ask about each issue as it comes up.
        Just to add to his comments about bugs - I like to collect ladybirds from the garden and set them free in my tent. They are ferocious predators and will help control any aphids/thrips/mites that you might get.
        It's a while yet from here to the harvest, but check out this page on when to harvest for some good info. It's nice to keep the finish line in sight ;-)
        https://howtogrowmarijuana.com/harvesting-marijuana-head-body-stone/

Comment

Working...
        X