Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excited by the learning curve! From a total noob.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excited by the learning curve! From a total noob.

I'm hoping to have 12 strong plants to put in the ground in about 8 weeks. Right now I have 5 one week old seedlings, at least 1 sprout that will go in the ground tomorrow and one clone a friend is giving me. Only 5 more and I will be good to go. Because of the total lack of knowledge at the start I have some seedlings that need attention but that's the beauty of all this for me, learning what these plants like and don't like. My idea of something being a test grow is basically not to get upset if your grow isn't the biggest but that you got enough information out of this grow to make next year much better. And from what I'm learning daily I know I might not have a huge harvest but I will be smoking some real good weed this fall.

I'll post some pics of my crop in a week or so when it's a little more stable under it's new lighting setup. I will show the before and after that should be fun..

Oh a really good idea that came my way by accident and is good for the first time grower is spacing your seeds out a week or so because you can apply the things you learned on the first seeds to the second and third. There is going to be some amazing change in your plants in a week.

I got my act together a bit on lighting and watering, now onto transplanting and nutrition. I have about 2 weeks before I'll be into that. Transplanting doesn't worry me because I have done so much of that with plants. Learning what I need do about nutrition is another story. Point being there is so much information I just need to pick one that works for my grow conditions. It's going to be about a week or two before I can start working the outside grow sites. Luck have it I will be ready.

Hi, you must live in a warm climate if you are ready for outside already! I live in the south and it went down to 24degrees last night. It has been warm for awhile and a lot of trees are in flower. We can get another frost in April so my plants will be in and out of the green house. I have some plants from cuttings that are almost ready to flower and I will put them under bloom lights as soon as I harvest the ones that are in there now. Depending on what your needs are will dictate how many plants and how big they will be when you flower. Good luck Grow Seedling! Mega Nute

Comment

• g101
      g101 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mega nute. I will be putting them in the ground the end of may. They will be indoor until the then. In a few weeks when the temps are in the 60's during the day I might put them out for a few hrs. I guess truly my needs this year is to learn as much as I can so that next year I can care more about the harvest. I have a long road to just getting them in the ground.
      I look forward to to see some crop coming in from you guys, seeing them go into bud must be tons of fun. For me when that times it will be finding out if I have any females. Now that is going to be fun for me! g101
      Last edited by g101; 03-31-2015, 08:10 PM.

2540Hello: I am very new to this. I got 3 seeds from a friend ( out of a bag ). Now they are growing in a small seed starter pot. 2 are tall 1 1/2 " . When should I up pot and if I do should the seedling be buried deeper than it is in the pot now? I live in the southeast the plants have been out in the sun, but under cover at night. Any ideas on how long they take to grow, if they go outside in two weeks?
    Last edited by gwendolen; 03-29-2015, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• SoCal760
      SoCal760 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Gwendolyn,
      Yes you can bury the stem up to the bottom of the first set of leaves it won't hurt the plant at all. Also if you can put up a pic of what your plants look like we all could get a better understanding of how far along your plants are so we can let you know when to transplant. I would say as to about how long depends on the strain which you don't know what they are so IMO I would say that October late november.

Thanks for the reply, I have no idea what the strain is as it came out of someone's bag?? I will try to post a photo, but I'm not sure how to do that yet. Still new to the site, hell new to any of this, just a backyard gardener.
    Last edited by gwendolen; 03-30-2015, 03:15 PM. Reason: OK, I see how to post a photo, I will give it a try later.

Comment

Here is a photo of the two seedlings, as you can see, they are spindly. I put them out to let the breeze strengthen them , but they continue to grow tall.

Comment

gwendolen They have a few weeks before they can go outside. IMHO I made the same mistake and didn't get them under light right from the git go. I have now made the investment in a really nice T5 florescent fixture for about $70. I plan on buying two more.
        Your seedlings are stretching because they are trying to get light or they are too hot. I did a stop gap light that was just one of those Home Depot metal clip lights and a 60w grow bulb. You can get one of those two bulb adapters and have a light for around $15. They do also make CFL florescent bulbs, more efficient but a little more costly. About $15 dollars for one 60W blub. Make sure get something in the 6500K color rage, that matches Daylight. If your going to just do these two plants one bulb will probably work for you. Don't worry about how spindly they are you can just plant them deeper when you go in the ground. Use something to prop them up so they get closer to the light. The seedlings need 18 hrs of light a day and 6hr dark.
        I can't believe I have been into this for around a week and I'm giving advice!!~ lol Please if anyone sees that I made a mistake correct me, it's all about learning and passing it on.
        Last edited by g101; 03-31-2015, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks that is very helpful. Would it be OK to pot them and put them outside for a while then bring in using the lights you suggest. Thanks

Comment

• g101
            g101 commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone with more experience than me needs to answer that. The thing I know is they can get burned if the sun is two hot and they don't like real cold either.

Gwendolen the first pic is is where my first seeds are today the second is where they were a week ago. In about another week they will go into 1/2 gallon pots and still kept under the T5 florescent. In about 2 or three weeks after that I will get them outside for a few good hours a day under real sun. Around a month or so I will put them into 5 gallon pots and leave them out as long as I can.
          When they go into the 1/2 gal pots I will start to fertilize them. I have no idea exactly what that will be! There could be frost until late May early June but they should have some great vegetation by the time they go in the ground. Then all I need to worry about is if I have any females. Hope this helps and let there be light. g101

Comment

Your plants are ahead of mine, I will up pot this week into 1/2 gal, with a little Osmocote . Fingers crossed.
            Thanks for your reply.

Comment

• g101
              g101 commented
              Editing a comment
              The light is the most important thing you can do for your baby's.

I plan on keeping them outside until I can no longer hide them in the garden.

Comment

Working...
            X