a newbie's conundrum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a newbie's conundrum

Hi, I was given a plant by a friend a couple of weeks ago who could no longer have it in his garden after his mother saw it. Apparently it was in the (dark) garage for 1 or 2 days, which I think has tricked the plant into flowering early (at least it seems female!)
    Anyway, it now seems to be starting to flower in June (in Portugal) summer solstice was a week ago, it's only 2 feet tall, looks healthy and gets good, direct sun 6 -8 hours a day, including the hottest time of day - around 100°F most days if not cloudy.
    This is my first plant, so I know nothing - should I change anything or just watch it?

Is there such a thing as too much sun?

Photo0016.jpg
    Last edited by aardvark; 06-28-2016, 10:10 AM.

Hi Aardvark. Welcome to the forum.
    Give it as much sun as possible. If it's only been a couple of days in the dark it will quickly revert to the veg phase. You might get a wee but of weird growth as it reverts but nothing to worry about. It should start flowering naturally around the end of July (ish).
    Can you be sure it is a female? If not, have a good read about sexing plants and keep an eye on it.
    Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, Saturnalia

I'll post another, better-detailed pic when I get new battery for camera. I read the bit about sexing plants, as you suggested, and it seems to me to be beyond the stage shown in those pictures; there are lots of what I think are pistils on and around what I can only assume - and hope! - are baby buds.
      ​Cheers

Comment

Great stuff. Get some pics up when you can and we'll see if we can help you sex it.

Comment

Working...
        X