A question abut misting seedling under a hot sun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question abut misting seedling under a hot sun

Hi guys, I have a question about misting. I'm growing on my window a seedling, he's about 2 weeks old now. He's got a fine stem but since I live in the city there's also lots of pollution and bacteria. Someone once told me that the best way to keep a plant healthy and clean is misting, but since the sun is really hot (30C during the day) and I fear that what makes my plant dry up. Before and after pics in the comments.
    So that's the case, what should be my misting schedule and how do I avoid sunburns on my seedling. I removed the burned parts and it looks pretty healthy now.

before before before

Can you screen the sun with some fine mesh netting? Or maybe some whitewash on the windows.....?

Comment

But will it get enough light? Can you upload a pic of you're talking about
      ​Edit: It's on the seal not behind a window. We get 30C here. Will a plastic bag be ok? it will be very hot inside but also moist....
      ​Edit2: Perhaps I'm not watering it enough? I only water when the soil is dry, maybe I should keep it more hydrated? Should a seedling have moist soil or should I let it dry as I do now? Since it's VERY hot out here it's hard to catch when the soil dries... ATM I water it once every 36 hours in average, maybe I should water it more?
      Last edited by suntrap; 05-15-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Something like this.... https://d16wp86s16nsnf.cloudfront.ne...t.70292551.jpg Not sure if it will work, it will still let in plenty of light, I'm just hoping it will cut down the glare of the sun and stop it scorching the plant. (will also help protect your privacy)
        With weed plants you need to let them dry out between watering. However, whilst they are still seedlings you shouldn't let them get too dry. It sounds like you are watering OK. Over watering is more of a problem than under watering.
        I still think that it is the magnified sun through the glass that is burning the plants. Maybe move them a bit away from the glass until they are bigger and stronger. While they are seedlings they are very fragile. As they grow they will get stronger. What temperature can you expect in mid summer?
        Good luck with it.

Comment

Well I don't think it will survive if I keep on the window pane, the sun gets hotter by the day and the plant keeps betting burns. I'll move it inside.

Comment

Makes sense. Can you use the roof space? It's not the sun that is the problem. It's the magnification through the glass.

Comment

Working...
            X