Growing in the desert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing in the desert

We are in Oregod where I have been doing much research to get a producers license. Essentially that is what they call a growers card with the new laws. I can do up to an acre here or 40000 sqft. It looks like spacing of about 9 sqft is optimal but I will experiment with that. We are in the Eastern side of Oregon, it is dry and desert. We do have irrigation but there are requirements for that too (of course). The cost is $5750 per year so they can afford to put a microscope up my ass.
    My questions would be; being that we are desert with tons of hot sun, does anyone know of a strain that would be drought resistant? Or any common sense sites that I can peruse to find some? Should I go seeding first or would clones be better (we do have barns that can be used for cloning)? We have the ability to test soil and have great access to fertilizers but would really like to stay organic as much as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! If anyone is in Oregon and wants to play, I am a great salesman if you were looking for work, we could put our heads together and make some great harvests! Sorry about the long post!

All i can say from Western Canada is that i am jealous lol And waiting for my country to finally legalize it. They're saying some time this year. So crossing my fingers. Northern Lights, Afghani variants, Durban Poison. I would start from seed, far as i know clone are just good for selling or indoor grows in my opinion anyways. I know nothing about organics but i am sure there is some one here.

Comment

• wick9274
      wick9274 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well as I was doing more research on the subject, it turns out that all of the Counties and local little dump towns have decided they are going to follow Federal Law and it remains illegal over there. Guess we will be growing wheat a little bit longer and watch the County go broke!

Hi Wick. Welcome.
    When selecting strains you should maybe think about strains that naturally grow in dry environments. Some of the landrace African strains would be a good starting place. Durban Poison like Katzie suggests, or Malawi Gold maybe. Some of the Mexican sativas could be a good choice.
    You could also check out the seed banks. They often have pages of strains selected for specific growing environments. Like this one from Barneys for example, although you should note that this is strains for hot climates, that's not the same as dry climates. It's a good place to start looking though.
    https://www.barneysfarmshop.com/barn...t-climate.html

Comment

• wick9274
      wick9274 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much!

No worries Wick. Wish I had the same problem. I'm in Scotland where it is almost permanently grey and damp ;-(
    Good luck to you

Comment

wick i live in a different kind of desert than you, but i have good luck with the mexican strains. too bad government has to get their greedy hands in there and mess things up.
      gary

Comment

Working...
      X