I Hate Jiffy-Type Peat Pellets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate Jiffy-Type Peat Pellets

I have never, ever had good results when using peat pellets. Two weeks ago I planted my nicely germ`d Crown Royale
    into Jiffys. Out of five, only two sprouted- and then ceased to grow. I next germ`d 5 Candy Kush and put them straight
    into my (ProMix)potting mix. The seeds in PM have outgrown the seeds in the peat pellets exponentially. So, I carefully
    broke open the pellets, and moved the seedlings into the PM. Already, a mere day later, the Crown Royale seeds are
    showing signs of growth. I will never bother with peat pellets again.

I don't really see the point. I go from kitchen paper straight into soil. I do use a peat cup for the soil. That way I can plant straight into the larger final pot without disturbing the roots.

Comment

I had a LOT of seeds to experiment with. I started some on towels, some in soil, some in peat pellets. The six that I planted in the peat are still my biggest and happiest. I will make this disclaimer: Thise six are also in a garden with improved soil, the others are not, but I chose those six because they were the strongest.
      I haven't done anything but water since then, but am about to charge up the dirt a bit with nutrients.

Comment

Originally posted by Sputnik-Spooner View Post
        I have never, ever had good results when using peat pellets. Two weeks ago I planted my nicely germ`d Crown Royale
        into Jiffys. Out of five, only two sprouted- and then ceased to grow. I next germ`d 5 Candy Kush and put them straight
        into my (ProMix)potting mix. The seeds in PM have outgrown the seeds in the peat pellets exponentially. So, I carefully
        broke open the pellets, and moved the seedlings into the PM. Already, a mere day later, the Crown Royale seeds are
        showing signs of growth. I will never bother with peat pellets again.
        Ya I hate peet pellets also even for my regular veg garden. I think the ph is too high. So I just use potting soil exclusively.

Comment

I'm a newbie and started all my seeds so far in pellets. I've encounter problems with them all a couple weeks into veg. After troubleshooting everything else, I'm starting to think the jiffy pellets themselves are the culprit. They seem to compact themselves and harden over time, makes me think they are strangling the roots of oxygen.

Comment

Working...
          X