Growing outdoors for the first time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing outdoors for the first time

A friend of mine wants to grow outdoors in the woods, about 20km's (12 miles) from the coast, he's looking at guerilla growing but isn't sure what strain to get and what protection against bugs and animals he might need, there's no deer in the area, but possums, kangaroo's and koala's are a possibility, the average weather over the past 10 or so years is in the pic below, any tips on when to plant and harvest? And also what to do when planting, maintaining and harvesting? Also, would be appreciated if anyone could suggest what strain would be recommended for these temperatures and whether or not these would need to be manually watered or if the weather would play a big enough part to do it on it's own?

P.S. Keep in mind the temperatures are in Celsius and the rain measurements are in Millimeters

Thanks, Yankin
    Last edited by YankingYourChain; 05-09-2015, 02:36 AM.

Hi Yankin. Nice temps you have there. Would be a good place maybe to grow some big sativas with long flowering seasons. You'll need to wait for them but yields can be immense. Not sure what the local norm is down there is for planting, but from your chart I would say plant out maybe November/December. When do people start their tomatoes? That would be a good indication.
    As for pests, maybe think about some chicken wire cages. Do koalas and kangaroos eat weed? Koalas certainly look as if they do ;-)
    If the plants are somewhere where there is water nearby, like near a creek, then there is often enough water in the soil (although be careful of floods). You seem to get plenty of rain, but do you have extended periods without rain? i.e. does it come regularly or lots in one go? You may want to select a plant with good mould resistance if it's humid there.
    There is a good section on this site where you can get info on growing weed outdoors, including planting and harvesting (https://howtogrowmarijuana.com/how-to...uana-outdoors/) Have a good read and search further afield also. There's lots of good info out there.
    Good luck with it.

Comment

• YankingYourChain
      YankingYourChain commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, it's me again Still tossing up between outdoors and indoors, whereabouts is a good place to put them? I know that they always say to put them on a hill facing north, is this crucial? With these weather conditions, how long should I be visiting to see them? This area is a country town with people that have medium sized farms, should I hide them in plain sight? I've heard some people say to put them near rivers but I feel like rivers would be frequented by hikers, should I go into the middle of nowhere? Or would I be better hiding them on someones property? The area where that weather is is about an hour away so I can visit fairly often to do stuff, but how often should I go there as not to rise suspicion?
      Also when you asked about the daily rainfall, here's a picture of it http://postimg.org/image/vvr2zu09b/
      I promise these are the last questions, when do you suggest I should water the most with that sort of weather?
      Thankyou so much!!
      Last edited by YankingYourChain; 05-14-2015, 05:39 PM.

Thanks heaps for that
    I'm still tossing up between outdoor or indoors, it's a hard choice between security and yield :P
    I'll keep researching and see how I go

Comment

Hello. I myself was thinking about growing plants outdoor, and i already have bought some seeds. But there was couple of question that i wanted to ask. And yes, i have read through guides and forum, but thing is that i prefer knowledge from someone who has already been growing themselves... yeah, i am not a smart man. So the question i wanted to ask is, can you plant your seeds deep in forest? Because i live in remote area which is surrounded by forest and there would be most ideal place... at least i think... But wouldn't sunlight be a issue? Couse plants need atleast 5 hours of direct sunlight... but deep in the woods, would they recieve required amount of sunlight? And the other thing... Right now i have full time job and there's a thing with watering.. There's no way i can wisit plants every day to water them manualy, and rain measurements of my country is about 650-700 per year (don't know what, but i'm guessing mm.) So would that be enough to keep them watered? Well, i can wisit my plants once per week and water them, but would that be enough? Thank you for your answers. And just to make sure, i just wanna grow some plants just for some sort of hobby... and some high.

Comment

• Cuttdogg7
        Cuttdogg7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Check out the BCBD at this link https://www.bcbuddepot.com. it looks like it would be right up your alley, if you don't have a lot of time for watering and checking on your plants. these things you can just plant in a swamp and walk away.

If the trees in the forest are really thick you will have trouble with light. Would you be able to cut down a few of the trees to make a clearing?
      Once per week should be enough for watering.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnalia View Post
        If the trees in the forest are really thick you will have trouble with light. Would you be able to cut down a few of the trees to make a clearing?
        Once per week should be enough for watering.
        I don't really know if forest is thick or not... it's like a usual forest... or do you mean, that thick forest is something when you look in the sky, and trees are blocking view? In that case, forest is not too thick... But i think, that i could cut down couple of trees because, that forest is in really remote area... Also, in the country where i live, it rains a lot... so if let's say it rains couple of days per week, do i still need to water plants manually? Thank you guys for your answers.

Comment

Hi qvartix. That's what I meant - does the light get into the ground level. What you describe sounds ideal. Make sure they get plenty of light. If it rains around twice per week then your plants will be just fine.
          Give some consideration to what Schmokin says about pests. If it's in remote forest then there might be something about that likes to eat it. Some chicken wire cages wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Thank you all for your answers. You guys really did help me a lot. So i have decided to grow outside and found suitable location, the only thing i am missing right now is seeds, which should get here by next week. And i have one last question... As it is july now and i am little bit worried, that i won't be able to grow plants in summer. But the thing is, that i live in eastern europe and our autumns are warm and quite sunny, so would it be possible to get good harvest if i planted them in middle of july and then harvested them in beginning of autumn?

Comment

You might get something but it will be much less than the normal yield for the plant. You are right when you worry about it being too late for this summer. Most plants will begin to flower in a month or two. They flower according to the length of day, regardless of how warm your autumns are. You will get some veg growth with your plant and some bud, but you will miss out on the veg growth from most of the growing season.
              Maybe it's worth a go as a small test for your set up. Iron out any problems now and be ready for spring next year.

Comment

Thank you guys for all your answers. I decided to try to grow some plants, but not all so i'd get more experience for next year. I already have all the seeds which i bought from herbies head shop and i'll plant couple of seeds tomorrow. But there is one last question... what does autoflowering 8weeks means? Does that mean that plants will be fully grown after eight weeks or is it just one of couple stages of growing and in the end it will take much longer? And as previous post stated that it could be a little bit late to plant seeds, but the thing is that this year is particulary cold and this month is first when at night we get atleast 10 celsius temperature... so i really didin't had any other way... so all in all... wish me luck.

Comment

Autos state the flowering period but flowering doesn't normally start until about week 2 or 3, so you should count about 10-11 weeks for your plant from germination to harvest. Obviously this varies, especially with autos which aren't always stable, but that is a good guide to go by.
                  Good luck with it. I like your style already. Just ask if you have more questions. And let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X