Growing in Wyoming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing in Wyoming

Hello, I am new to this much-appreciated group.

I used to live in California, and had a medical mj license, and tried to grow weed several times. Whtther I strated with seeds or a clone, I never got them past like 6 inches... they'd turn yellow and fall over.

Now I am living in NW Wyoming. (About 4200' elevation) A friend of mine gave me a lot of weed she'd grown to learn how to grow it. (She doesn't smoke it, but lives in Colorado and wants to grow it for her mom who smokes) Anyway, they didn't sex the plants and ended up with VERY seedy weed. To my benefit. I have HUNDREDS of seeds, so I have room to experiment.

There's a zero tolerance policy for marijuana in this state, the most conservative of all. (But we passed gay marriage, go figure! :-)) A few years ago, on 4/20 of all days, I was arrested and jailed for a week.. for an empty pipe. No pot, just residue. And at the time I had a valid California MMJ license and California plates on my car... didn't matter. That's what I mean by zero tolerance. Luckily, I'm in a rural area on 3 acres, treed all around so it's rather private.

Anyway, since I have so many seeds to mess with, and figuring half will have to be culled (the males) I am trying different methods and places and soils to see what works best.

I started several seeds inside. Some in peat pots, some in garden soil alone, some in Miracle Grow, water retaining globby stuff and garden soil mix. Some I started on wet paper towels and planted, some directly into pots.

They are, along with my tomatoes, squash and other seedlings, inside on a porch. Outside we have a tilled up garden that has been gardened before, and has been fed compost, chicken manure, etc. My boyfriend tilled it nice and deep, and it looks like good soil. My direct seed plants are starting to pop up out there.

The plants in the soil mix have grown to like 3-4" but are skinny and just have the four leaves on top. One has drooped. I'm going to add more soil and set them out where they can get some sun, as I read on here that they may be stretching for the light. (It's in the mid 70's today, some nights get cool but spring is upon us!) Since I am in northern Wyoming, between Yellowstone and the Bighorn range, we do get random cold spells and have had snow even in July. (rare but it happens)

I may plant a few directly in the garden, because, like I said, I have many seeds to experiment with. (The strain is Maui Wowee, but the batch labeled Afghan Kush had a few too. Not sure if the seeds are Afghan or more Maui)
    I don't want them keeling over again! This isn't like California where I could go out and just buy weed.

The growing season isn't terribly long here, so I am anxious to get them going outside. I may keep one inside but we have a lot of sun here (Sunnier and drier than Los Angeles, it's high desert) so I think they'll like the sun. I read here that pot is similar to tomatoes as far as growing, and my boyfriend (it's his place) has grown tomatoes for years. *He puts Epsom Salts in the soil for tomatoes and said they do well.

Any advice on my skinny tall plants is appreciated. I read to add more soil and more sun, and see what happens. I shall try and see what happens.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and thanks for the site. It has proven useful so far, and I'm just getting going

Get a small rotary fan - turn it on the seedlings/ get a led bulb - put it over the seedlings. place outside when warm - inside when not. Best to grow a few good plants then a bunch of skinny, tall, nothings. With your currant situation you have a 50/50 chance of a female so plant six and hope for the best. Remember they smell and that the Mail man - Meter reader - Air planes are about. Be smart, you live in a state with very conservative ideas. - slo

Comment

Hi Moonwalker. Welcome to the forum.
      Sounds like a great plot you have out there in Wyoming.
      A fan will help strengthen up your plants. A stake will help support them too, until you get them outside and in the ground.
      You may find that your Afghan Kush performs best for you. It is a landrace strain that comes from a mountain environment. It should also be ready a short while before your Maui Waui and so be easier to avoid an early cold spell after the summer.
      Anybody who is successful with tomatoes should have no trouble growing weed, although remember weed requires a lot less water.
      Good luck with your project. Be careful. Sounds like you have some pretty harsh laws there. Think about some companion plants to help hide your weed and take note of what slo said about the smell.

Comment

Working...
      X