Some Growing Tips From A First Time Grower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Growing Tips From A First Time Grower

These are things that long time growers might not have to think about because things have become second nature to them over time.
    One of the things that happened to me quite by accident was to plant seeds in stages so that the mistakes I made on the first plants were corrected on the second and third set of seedlings. They were only a week apart but that was perfect.
    The other thing that has been so helpful is a grow calender, put every single thing you do regarding your plants into your calender. You can't possibly keep all the dates in your head. I've only been doing this a little over 3 weeks and the calender is packed. And remember don't over water! Happy growing!

I might suggest you buy a spiral note book and always keep the dates at the top of the pages. Gives you way more room to move around in and to refer to. I'm on my second one which is a hydro grow. You can write more down. I tried the calendar thing but couldn't decipher my abbreviated notes. I can put down the different types and how they react to whatever chems I'm using and what kind of dirt I have created and on and on - -my 2 cents - slo

Comment

Originally posted by slo-han View Post
      I might suggest you buy a spiral note book and always keep the dates at the top of the pages. Gives you way more room to move around in and to refer to. I'm on my second one which is a hydro grow. You can write more down. I tried the calendar thing but couldn't decipher my abbreviated notes. I can put down the different types and how they react to whatever chems I'm using and what kind of dirt I have created and on and on - -my 2 cents - slo
      slo-han thanks for that input. Anyway that works best for the person keeping the diary. I use goggle calender and that works well for me. I don't have to worry about my horrible hand writing. Biggest thing is that you use something, like you said there are too many little formulas to keep in your head. The more info you put down the better.

Comment

This Has been a dedicated first test grow. I put my first seeds in without any idea what was going to happen. Of course they got very spindly and I had to deal with that. The next two seeds took about a week longer to germinate. Then I experimented with different ways of germinating the seeds (direct to ground vres. soaking and paper towel. These are all bag seeds and my original plan was after this expermintenton I would then buy good seeds for the real grow. But now the fact is that I have 12 really strong plants so I'm going to go with what I have. Hoping that 4 of the 12 at least will be female. With one strong clone that I have that's enough for this year. It all happened quite by accident but was really helpful in giving me a bunch of information that I desperately needed.

Comment

After about a month of being into this I have to say I think light and plenty of grow space for roots are the two key elements. Of course what you are growing them is important but with so many great premixed soils out there shame on you if you don't put them in some good stuff.

I was way behind on re-potting at each stage. Now that I'm able to put my plants outside all day they are going nuts. All my plants are doing great, 500 times better than if I hadn't stumbled on this site and all it's helpful people.

When I look at Blaze4daz's plants I can see that light made a big difference. First of all he gave his plants better light from seedlings on than I did. Knowing that the first four weeks of my grow are going to be inside I got to build a better grow room with better lite. I'm guessing by the time they go in the ground in a few weeks they are going to be sweet as can be. Then they have about 4.5 to 5 months to do their thing. All I need to do is keep them healthy and safe from predators.

My tomato and peppers and that kind of stuff are coming up nicely as well. It's going to be an amazing summer!!~ And an even better Fall. lol Wishing everyone a great summer and a great grow.

Comment

It's a never ending learning curve G. Sounds great that your bag weed came good. It invariably does.
            There seems like lots and lots to learn, and there is, but when you break it all down, if you can grow tomatoes and peppers, you can grow weed no problem. All the infinite detail is about bigger plants and better yields.

Comment

Saturnalia I love that it's a never ending curve. It Keeps it interesting for me and the better I get the better the weed I smoke. My origional thought was to just test with these bag seeds and then buy good seeds for my grow. Well when I saw all these plants from the bag I thought why not just follow through with them. The only down side is I have to keep 12 plants going to get 4 females for sure. It's great that next year I only have to deal with 4. It's nice that I have the one Sour OG Kush clone that will give me some proven quality weed for sure. Again it adds up when your doing 12 of two types of peppers and two types of tomatoes. You get real good at potting and shuffling them all under light. My weed plants are hardened off and can be outside except for frost. Last night it went down to about 46 and the plants actually seamed to like it they were very perky when the sun came up this morning and we all know what the sun does for them. My learning curve on the weed made me able to be much better with all my veggies for sure. Here's to bigger yields on all of it!
              Last edited by g101; 04-29-2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X