Help Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed

Does anyone have any idea whats up with this curl? It's only happening on one plant. I have been letting them have some mild sun for two hours and I noticed the curl.

A little leaf curl lke that can be a hard one to call. I am going to take a stab at it though, try upping your room RH and give it plenty of air by a fan or how ever you can.

Comment

Agree with kbag. Kind of hard to call at this point. Just keep an eye on it for a day or two and see if anything else happens. When asking for help with issues, it's always a good idea to give some basic information to help the forum member out when trying to diagnose. For example: What type of grow you have (indoor or outdoor), what media you are growing in, nutrients used, schedules, etc. The more information you can provide, the better chance for a correct diagnosis of issues. Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks Kbag and The Window White. I started them inside and they will be grown outside when the weather permits. The weather has been nice with lots of passing clouds so I have been putting the plants outside for some very mild sun. They have been in Foxfarm Ocean Forest getting water only under a 180w 7 band LED for about 6 days with no problem. This happened yesterday while they were outside getting tons of air across them with again very mild sun. The other strange thing is it's only on the two second leafs. The rest of the plant and all the other plants are thriving. The condition has stayed the same no better no worse after returning back under the LED over night. Also I inspected the leafs completely with no signs of any pests.
        Last edited by g101; 04-11-2015, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Think its just a mild case of sunburn, not a nutrient or pest problem. KBag is on the money with the RH, outdoors, things get dried out even in the shade as the RH can be drastically lower than an indoor environment. Check you local weather channel to see what your RH is outdoors during the day. Even in the desert, it fluctuates from low of 10 mid day to almost 50 at night... Best treatment would be a foliar spray during the night, let the plants leaves get some moisture. Just do not spray them before they are going under lights, that will only dry them out worse unless you have a mister system keeping them moist the whole time, or repeatedly over the sun cycle... too much trouble to deal with... soak them with a spray bottle of plain water (no nutrients needed, though read up, can be optional) after they go to bed at night, for a few nights...

Comment

That is a classic case of heat stress 101 if you have been putting them outside in direct sun light they will do that - you can't beat the sun but the sun can beat a plant down. It is best to start with a little filtered sun till they get used to it. I have done the same and got the same results. Easy on those girls we are just getting into the grow season, a bit of sun and then a bit of shade or like I stated filtered light for starters - slo

Comment

Thank you coconutisland the RH is on the low side for Western PA about 45%. They're out all day today and nothing is getting worse. The plants are just loving the real sun light. It's just those two leaves.

Comment

slo-han there has been lots of cloud cover and it is only in the mid 50's but I hear you. I'll go gently. This is my first offical grow and they are bag seeds but that doesn't make me care less about them. Even if it's a male at this point it's about learning for me. All you guys and girls are so nice to help out. Thank You all. g101

Comment

I see we are up and running again, Hooray! Mega

Comment

All but the sun shocked three plants are doing well in the shade outside. I'm keeping the sun shocked inside for right now and they are just about same but new growth is strong. Again these are bag seeds so it's good to take my rookie mistakes out on them but it's nice to see that even I can't kill them. This was a great lesson in patience. Now I know that almost any hard sun can be too much for them. Another mistake I will never make again hopefully.

Comment

This is what happens when you try to rush things. I put my plants out in the sun for to long a time and burnt the three oldest. They were not too bad and are coming back nicely but I lost about a week in growth with this little stunt. Oh well I guess this is what a test grow is all about.

Comment

Claythrow Again not totally sure if that was the only cause but it matched up to what slo han and others mentioned and I confirmed it with another grow site that had pictures of sun shock. However those pictures only had same curl they didn't have the leaf discoloration that came on my plants about 4 days after the curl. I was waiting till they stabilized a bit before potting them up but I think I will do that tonight. If you have any other thoughts lay them on me. As I said I'm here to learn. Thanks again for all your concern just makes me a little better grower.

Comment

g101!

Sprouts and even seedlings will show some yellowing and a~bit of leaf curl when started in Ocean Forest potting soil. Mine showed the same signs at this early stage of growth and I couldn't quite figure out why. Tips curled and had the light green color for the newest growth coming up, starting straight into Ocean Forest.

With mine growing for near 6 weeks and not needing to add any nutrients, the potting soil I discovered was purdy hot all on it's own. Remembering back now I do recall reading others cut their O.F. potting soil with a seedling soil mixture, or started them in a less potent mixture and allowed the roots to travel down into the Ocean Forest for explosive growth.

Ocean Forest alone is high in nitrogen and can be the reason for the leaf curl, slight yellowing and light green new growth. My first PPM drain~off reading showed 2400 at week 3 and man was I surprised it was so high. Now at week 7, I'm just now starting to add FoxFarms Grow Big 6~4~4 @ 8 tps per 5 gallons of water and curl has gone, but PPM drain~off remains around 2200~2400 after those feedings. That right there tells me my potting soil remains loaded with all the correct amendments, all on it's own. Real surprised the seedlings survived thru it all. I'll be cutting the potting soil next grow, just to be on the safe side.

Even got some twisted growth on the seedlings with the Ocean Forest too. The stuff is loaded, but now wouldn't use anything else, just have to cut it a~tad is all, when starting seedlings in it. Best of Luck with your grow.

Comment

Blaze that's the odd thing about growing for me. Only 3 out of 12 plants had this happen all in the same OF. They are the 3 original plants that germinated and got real spindly because I didn't have any light on them. I did train that 6" stock around the pot a bit when they went into their first re potting and they grew like crazy. I just up potted them from 4" pots to 2 gallon pots today and I was amazed at the root structure in two weeks. Very healthy white thick roots. How much do you think you will cut the OF 9SQGJband with what? I have all my vegetables to pot up still so I might want to cut it now.
                            Last edited by g101; 04-16-2015, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X