Question on Clone Soil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Clone Soil

I was just given a a clone that just rooted and went into a 1/2 gallon 6"x6" pot a few days ago. My question is that because it was going to go into a Hydroponic room but I'm growing them outside, the soil now has tons of perlite in it and drains very quickly. Do I re-pot it in a pot with more soil or just leave it and do that when I put it outside.
    Last edited by g101; 03-31-2015, 01:44 AM.

I would repot it ASAP if you intend to take it outdoors and if it is not going ot be hooked up to a new hydro system. You can top water hydro, but in order to keep the roots 'wet' in a medium with not a lot of moisture retention, you need to water it frequently, like a cup of water every few hours.... So, potting soil will help and it is going to make the transition easier on you and the plant the sooner you make that change. Waiting means you have to start watering frequently and the roots get more developed and they do not like changes like that, so the few roots making the change, the better off you are, at least with my experience with taking pure aqua and going into soil... But bear in mind, it is like any other 'plug' you would by in the store or at the garden center... just be really care full not to OVER water it once you make the change. Same as with going from starter cubes up too larger gro cubes in rockwool, moisten the soil you will be transplanting into (like pre soaking the larger gro cube) Make the transplant as gentle as you can but don't worry about the perlite/vermiculate falling away... Just treat it like any other transplant, with the exception of try to limit watering for the first few days. This forces the plant to 'search' for water in the new medium and encourages root development. Just make sure the soil you use has been pre soaked with water. You will get a little mud under your fingernails, but that's OK! And not too soupie, just make sure it is damp soil. you should water it once right away, to get everything to settle in, but make sure it drains away then do not water for a couple of days. The plant may look a little wilty in the first 24-48 hours, but then it should be reaching into the moisture of the new soil and start to rebound...

Comment

coconutisland thanks so much for your reply. Nice to see that my instincts were correct. I'm on the repot now!

Comment

Just did the repot I hope it is not to late. The clone had some great roots but they didn't look nice and white and full. They looked a little gray and wimpy. Well they're in Foxfarm's Ocean Forest now so here's hoping! The plant looks green and healthy otherwise.

Now I'm worried that the FoxFarm might be to hot for the weak roots. Oh well it's in natures hands now. If it makes it it will be great because this is the first time I have ever seen a clone or it's root system. If it doesn't make it I learned something. And to be honest I'm really surprised the person that gave it to me knew I was planting outside didn't warn me about the soil. All he said was it would need to be watered more than normal. Again it's one more thing I will know now. The point is it was free and in the future I can tell the guy just how I want it planted.

Getting into this when I did is giving me great information for starting my vegetable garden as well. Plants work mostly the same right!
        Last edited by g101; 04-01-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Hey g101, I have heard from others about Ocean Forest being hot! If you read Blazes grow forum his plants are in Ocean Forest and are doing great with no fertilizer! They are pretty big. Now I have used O.F For several years and grow seeds and cuttings in it. I have not experienced any" hot " problems with this soil. I have 4 seeds in OF right now! As of now I think your plant will be fine, just be careful not to water to much. Good luck with your grow! Mega Nute

Comment

• g101
            g101 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mega nute Hi So far so good even though it has only been a day, the plant looks good. Good color nice and perky. I did give all my plants and seedlings a little watering of 1 tpsp per gallon Age Old Grow. It's supposed to help plants overcome stress and is a 12-6-6 mix.
        Working...
        X