Looking a little spindly to me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking a little spindly to me.

These little babes are about a week old from just seeds in a bag. I have no idea how old the seeds were but 3 took. Now what do I do about how spindly they are. It's way early here in Western PA so if these are going to make it into the ground they will have to be inside for about another 6 weeks. I'm going to buy some good seeds to start a little later but I would love to give these a chance. BTW I know nothing about what I'm doing but I'm a great smoker and quick learner. lol
    Attached Files

Hi g101,
    If you are looking to grow your plants out side than I would say that the most cheap but effective way to provide your plant with light is through CFL'S. Before I get into to much information I would first like to ask if you have any grow equipment on hand? Equipment wise I mean lights nutrients for your plants or your own super soil or what not. I ask this because you really didn't put up much information about if you have any equipment of not.
    I would say as to the how spindly they are have you had a fan blow across your plant so that it can strengthen the stem as for the stretch if you are just using sun light than that will happen if you grab yourself a reptile light with the parabolic dish and by some CFL lights that are in the 6500Kelvin range and 23watts or higher and some 2 way or 4 way bulb splitter so that your reptile lights can hold 2 to 4 bulbs and than place them over your plants as close as you can without burning them with CFL'S you can get pretty close to your plant. to be sure that you do not burn your plant with the CFL lights you can put your hand between the light and plant and if where you have it is producing to much heat on the back side of your hand the CFL light is too close so move it back some to where its warm but not burning your hand. This will allow for the stretching to stop because the light they are tying to stretch to will be within reach and will allow for the stretch to slow and for your plant to focus nutrients to other places of growth beside the stretch. This method is a cheap cost effective method especially if you plant to transition them to the ground out side because the CFL'S can be used over and over again not only for vegetate growth but for flowering as well but that a whole other story and information to get into. But hope this information helps you out also here is a link to help you understand better the use of CFL lights for growing https://howtogrowmarijuana.com/compac...l-grow-lights/. But positive vibes and good karma sent to you and your grow may it be bountiful.

Comment

I plan to grow them outside. I have next to no equipment but I do want to do this and I'm willing to get what I need. I haven't had them under any light so the CFL sounds like a good approach. The light will help keep them warm as well. I live in a cabin and heat with a wood stove so the inside temp is all over the map. Thanks so much for the positive vibes they mean so much to a rookie like me.
      Last edited by g101; 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• SoCal760
        SoCal760 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also as for your temp in the cabin it could be an issues. If I am correct I have read there are a few others here as well that live in cabins and could suggest good information about temp control and your plants and how to optimize your use of it for your seedling. Seedling like good humidity and temps to grow pristine. Also using bag seeds was a good step for a first grow many new growers go out and buy seeds there first run and end up messing it up and not only lose the money they invested in there seeds but there crop they were so looking forward to as well. With bag seeds you can trial and error and no lost per say money wise and it helps you to get a understanding and dial in your growing technique as well as learn from your mistakes with out it being a costly one. I have seen people spend hundreds on seeds only to make a noob grow mistake by over watering or nuting there plants to death and than loss hundreds of dollars in seeds all do to the fact they should of did a test run first to dial your grow technique so that you can grow your bought seeds and have good success. So G101 for being a noob grower I commend you on your first grow and using bag seeds your already a head of the curve most don't think to use bag seeds first than bought seeds later after they have had a successful grow under there belt.

Hi G101,
      Ok than yes the CFL's lights will be fine to use because like I said they are cost effective and wont run you a lot of money and on the plus side you can find the required items locally in your feed stores and your local store's in town without the hassle of having to special order anything or drive crazy distances to find said items. The CFL will help a lot especially with that stretch in your pic those girls are rushing to the sun, with the CFL's you will see it slow and than see them thicken. I would also suggest with the stock being so thin try and get a small computer fan or cheap clip fan and set on low and allow for it to blow not on the plant directly but below just enough to push the stock to strengthen it.

Comment

• g101
        g101 commented
        Editing a comment
        SoCal760 I have had some real luck in the past just sowing a plot with bag seeds and thinning them out and letting them grow. I have 60 acres to grow on so that's the way I want to go but I want to get much better at it. My soil must be real good for growing but if I want to get more exotic I have tons to learn. You put me onto the hint and for that I am again thankful. Now off to the pet store and hardware store. Thanks once again. And yes I have the perfect fan...

Picked up a real nice little grow light today, it's a TEK TWO two lamp 6400K 10,000 lumen unit that's easy to hang. Also got a roll of Mylar, so my little seedling setup will ready to go tomorrow. I'm like a kid with his first science project. Tons of fun paying attention to nature! The vegetables are next!

But the even better thing is I found is a great Grow Shop that's only 10 miles from my home. Very excited that the sales guy was way cool. Damn you can spend some cash on this stuff.
      Last edited by g101; 03-24-2015, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Hahaha that is something that can happen to get my grow tent set up was around 1100 for the main items but there are still little odds and ends I need here and there. Lol it is an expensive hobby but your on the right track with the Mylar which will help to reflect light back to it plant as well as trap some of the heat around your plant too. But yea I no the feeling when I got all my grow equipment it felt like Christmas when I was a kid didn't know what to play with first. But can't wait to see your set up once you get it up and running. Positive vibes and good karma sent your way my friend.

Comment

SoCal very nice of you to offer support. This site can be very intimidating when you know nothing. But your friendship gives me confidence and determination. I'm very German and like a sponge with information. I'm also confident in my common sense. Once I get the principals of all this together in my head I can run with it. Just the situation with these seedlings lets me learn first hand what makes these little plants click. If I only get a few plants this year it will give me a great start on next year.

Now I'm starting to think ahead a little and because of the heat condition in the cabin and because I have to keep them going for about 6 to 8 weeks indoors, I think I will make it out of 2" blue board insulation that way it's a little room that I can better control heat and humidity better.

With the mess the world is in this is a GREAT escape.

Comment

Hi G101,
            Your are correct this site can be very intimidating especially when you start going through grow diaries and post people have put its a haze of information. As for once you get all this information together in your head trust me you will be spending more money on it if not for genetics for grow material to have better yield next time. Lol it starts as a hobby but turns into a full time thing lol especially after you get that first good grow where everything goes right after that its addicting. You will want to see your plant grow bud frost and than crop and cure to smoke the final product and do it again and again. But my friend to know that it what you are smoking was produced by your own hand couldn't get any better than that. As for your heat your grow box that will be good it will help to trap heat to where you can get a constant temp which helps seedling especially if you can keep the humidity high in the beginning stages it allows for your seedling to focus energy on growth not on water consumption because the water in the humid air will provide the water to your plant. It will also allow for you to get that stretching under control I got about another week and I will post some picks to my grow diary of my plants I just had one sweet tooth auto pop out the ground yesterday and got two more to go. But again sending positive vibes to you and your grow my friend.

Comment

Nature brought me this little gem this morning. It truly is an amazing thing every time I see it. I now have four plants and a clone to work with this year. I would like to get that up to ten plants total. Hopefully give me 3 or 4 to harvest. I will have my little grow station together later today. I'm very excited to get out of these sub freezing temps and get some seeds sprouted. Just looked and another one popped!!~
              Last edited by g101; 03-28-2015, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I know it's a small thing in the big picture but I so happy with what just proper light does for these little girls. In a little over a week they have bounced back. We're on a much better track anyway.

Comment

Bit the bullet today and replanted my first three stringy plants. I'm so thrilled with them in their new pots. I was concerned about how to shorten their 6+ inch stems and it was a piece of cake. I just wound it around in it's big new pot and covered them with soil. These plants are 2 and 1/2 weeks old and look to be just a little behind some other plants I have seen here that are their age. I'm very happy that they look like normal healthy plants now. It looks in the pic that the lower left leef is chewed on and yellow but it's no it's just the angle. Hahaha do I sound like a proud papa!
                  Last edited by g101; 04-03-2015, 02:09 AM.

Comment

The top two are 3 week old plants started under proper light. I hope that at least one is a girl. I wish I had some idea of the strain.

Comment

They were all from the same bag of marijuana but I'm glad you mentioned that I thought the same thing.

Comment

If it wasn't for some equipment break down I would have planted my plants yesterday. Tonight FROST warnings! I don't think it will be a hard frost but all my plants are now inside for the night.

Comment

Doing great g101. Keep an eye on those weather warnings. It's just about time to get them outside in the sunlight. For all the technology and research done into artificial lighting, nothing comes close to the real thing. Good luck mate.

Comment

Working...
                          X