rockwool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockwool

My first post, of prob many ha. sorry to take you guys/girls back to basics but here we go.
    I keep trying and failing to grow using rock wool blocks. I pop the seed in pointed end down and I sometimes get them starting but, no mater what I do, I seem to ether over water or under water and they die. I've got my self a new hydroponics set up, but feel a bit of a fool having to get others to give me cuttings. like I had to do before. someone said I'd be better getting one of these auto watering propagators but, I've no idea if this is a good idea or what one is the best one for someone just starting out like me ?
    cheers

Although I don't use hydro, in my opinion the paper towel method of germination is the best. I get almost 100% success rate with it. You could always germinate like that and then pop the seedling into the rockwool....
    I put the seeds between to damp (not soaking) paper towels. I then sandwich those between to saucers and put them under the water boiler to keep warm. They normally sprout within a couple of days. Always check twice a day to make sure the towels haven't totally fried out.

Comment

thanks will try that.

Comment

I use 3" cubes in my 6" netlid. I've had the best results using rapid rooter plugs for the seedling and place that inside the cube. My RDWC setup has the ability to allow me to place a mister wherever it;s needed so I just keep and eye on the plants and adjust position as needed. I have two mister lines plumbed into the lids and they spray onto the base of the cube-as the roots grow they submerge in the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnalia View Post
          Although I don't use hydro, in my opinion the paper towel method of germination is the best. I get almost 100% success rate with it. You could always germinate like that and then pop the seedling into the rockwool....
          I put the seeds between to damp (not soaking) paper towels. I then sandwich those between to saucers and put them under the water boiler to keep warm. They normally sprout within a couple of days. Always check twice a day to make sure the towels haven't totally fried out.
          I used a similar set-up. i soaked the seeds in a glass of tap water overnight, then placed the seeds between 2 sheets of kitchen paper dampened with tap water, then placed into a dark cupboard on top of my heating boiler where it's nice and warm. They germinated after a couple of days and were then potted direct into pots containing regular potting compost.

Comment

I soak my rockwool first, then seed into it. Rockwool goes into a propogation dome with some properly PH'd water. I dont water the rockwool again, it will absorb water from the tray. You may be drowning your seeds.

Comment

This is just me, but i hate the thought of growing a tree in a block that you have to rinse before using. It just don't sound right. Stuff reminds me of fiberglass insulation. I don't do hydro...yet, but from what i've read, Rapid Rooters are the way to go. Just crack it open place the seed, close it, and place it in your grow pot thingy. It should sprout in 12-36 hours. I personally just drop it in the dirt I'm growing it in.

Comment

coco, any luck yet???
                As many have said, germinating the seed first and then placing it the cube using a smaller rooter plug to allow the seed to get some roots started. I just place the sprouted seed in the plug and place that in the cavity in the cube. I think that most of the issues with early growth in hydro systems may be due to either over or under watering. I don't think that the plant can tolerate wet feet so I try to manually water until I see root growth into the cube.
                Once I see root growth I turn my recirc pumps on and adjust the misters to stimulate root growth. This seems to work pretty well for me.

Comment

Hi gbauto
                  I did it again ha ha. Bloody things. I give up.. My cousin is coming up from England next few weeks he said I'm doing his head in with it. "It's bloody simple" to quote him ha. but still waiting on my propagator to come in ordered it from the shop a few days ago. with Christmas post ect the guy said it might be a few weeks, no hurry I buy things through them all the time takes ages but, can't believe these people that order that stuff from amazon ect over here. knock knock parcel delivered by your local cop shop ha. thanks for your advice I shall try again and again till I get it right. or until he gets up here. Oh and I've started to pop the seed cheers people.
                  cheers

Comment

Yea, sometimes it seems that nothing I do is right. My experience when it comes to getting seeds to pop and start is to treat them just like an infant-warm and usually moist. Most of the problems I run into on sprouts seemed to be that they were to moist-you are trying to encourage the sprout to send out roots so keeping it on the dry side can help. Just need a nice warm spot with a bit of light and they will do nicely. Don't give up
                    Last edited by gbauto; 12-06-2016, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X