How to start flowering??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start flowering??

Hello all! So i am growing from seed at the moment. Not sure what strain it is. But at the moment the plant i have is about 15 inches tall with a good amount of Veg on it. Now the thing is, since seedling i have given it 12/12 for lighting. Now at the height at it is i am looking to get it to start flowering. At this point what should i change the lighting to? Or should i just leave it as is? I read somewhere that leaving the lights off for 36 hours will start to kick it into flowering mode. I have two of the led grow lights on the plant and a small fan going on it as well. I would say its been about a good months worth of growth now to the point where it is now.

apparently you should have grown it at 16/8 or 18/6 or 20/4 or 24/0 and switch to flowering by switching to 12/12. Now that you have it on 12/12 all the time, I'd just leave it at that if you want to get it to flower. IMHO the plant is possibly too young for flowering, but don't take it for granted from me, I'm as new into this as you are.

Comment

So i guess at this point switching back to one of those lighting cycles would actually shock the plant? I will remember to start at one of those cycles in the future. Had read that some where on another forum so thats why i had went with that. Does any one have any idea on the 36 hour thing or have they heard of that before?

Comment

Hi Clueless. Most people start out at 18/6 and then move onto 12/12 at about the stage you are at now.
        However starting off at 12/12 is fine. Some people do it with the larger strains to keep their size under control. Your plant will automatically veg for a while before starting flowering itself. Normally around 3 weeks or so after becoming established from a seedling.
        It is possible for you to revert to a longer light cycle but it will put quite a bit more time on your grow.
        If I were you I would just leave it as it is, it will begin flowering soon. All that will happen because of what you have done is that the yield will be a little lower than it could have been. You'll know next time
        The 36 hour thing is what some people to do when changing from 18/6 to 12/12 to shock the plants into flowering. I have never done it myself as I am happy with the straight-forward method most of us use., although I have heard of plenty of people that do it. But as you are already on 12/12 this is not really relevant to you. Again, maybe next time.
        Let us know how this turns out for you. Best of luck.

Comment

Here are some pictures of my growth. Any tips or pointers would be helpful!

Comment

Mate, your bigger plant is a male, so you really should separate the two plants immediately, if you want any buds from the female (the smaller one).
            Male plant goes to waste bin.
            Keep the smaller one (female) under the lights, strict 12/12.
            Fingers crossed she hasn't been pollinated by the male already.
            Please someone confirm my observations!!? Saturnalia Mega nute and other experienced people? I'm a newbie myself.
            Good luck

Comment

Tall and leggy can often be the signs of a male. Would need to see a better pic of the flowers to be sure.
              Got any better pics Clueless?

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnalia View Post
                Tall and leggy can often be the signs of a male. Would need to see a better pic of the flowers to be sure.
                Got any better pics Clueless?
                I downloaded that second photo and zoomed in, definitely looks like a male, same as
                photos I found on here:
                See a gallery of many different male cannabis plants, some of them are actually pretty!

Comment

Ok thank god you guys let me know i had a feeling the taller plant was a male when i saw the sacs forming and not flowers. And i know in nature the taller plant is usually male. The sacs havent opened yet so i am trashing it immediately.

Comment

Ok guys, here are some pics of the growth now taking place on the female. Any thoughts? Suggestions at this point? How much longer do you think it will be before harvest for this plant? Im thinking of trying to monster cropping method and taking a cutting of this plant.

Comment

So any tips or anything from you guys at all from my last post? Flowering seems to be coming along well so just was wondering if there is anything else i need to do at this point and how long usually before harvest?

Comment

I'd say just keep her healthy as you do already, maybe need to switch the nutrients (if you haven't already, maybe have a read here: http://www.growweedeasy.com/nutrients).
                        As for flowering time, it can take anything from 6-10 weeks, depending on strain.
                        When is it ready? I've read you'll need to watch the trichomes through the microscope (u can buy USB microscope online for $10-20). At first the trichomes are clear coloured, then they become milky, then turn amber colour (usually). You harvest at that stage. It is ok to harvest partially, say if the top is ready but some buds are still not, you can give them a few more days.
                        That's the theory anyway. good luck
                        The most important thing to look for when choosing cannabis nutrients is the "NPK" values listed on the front of the bottle. Learn what to look for, plus see examples of several common marijuana nutrient systems that follow the guidelines!

Comment

Well guys im guessing my plant is nearing the end of its life cycle or something. Its starting to turn yellow on some of the leaves. I havent checked the trichomes yet. Or maybe i did something wrong in watering the plant or in lighting? Or is it just the natural cycle? At the rate its going ill probably harvest this week. Here are some pics of how the plant is looking now.

Comment

Im hoping its not too late actually. Ive seen a few other posts. Too late to flush and just go ahead and harvest? Or try and eek a bit more growth out the buds on there now?

Comment

Hey man, putting a plant on a 12/12 schedule is actually how you get a plant to flower. Starting it off on that is fine for a super fast harvest, but you won't harvest that much. Next time go for a 20/4 or 18/6. 18/6 is great for non feminized seeds as they'll start to preflower, allowing you to identify the genders before pollination occurs. As for for the dying leaves, don't quote me on this, but i remember reading somewhere that towards the end of their lifespan plants suck the nutrients out of the leaves in and send them to the buds, did you use nutes in your grow? Don't harvest til you check the trichomes, if they aren't at least a milkyish color, you're robbing yourself of potency. And if you plan on harvesting soon you'll want a two week flush if you used nutes in your grow. If you went au naturale(props), when the trichomes are ready, your baby is ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X