Soil pests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soil pests

Have a question about soil, was wondering if any soil you buy has insects or pests when you purchase it?

I find that compost from the store quite often comes with thrips. You know like the wee black flies you get around fruit.... It is worse with the cheap no brand compost, but I find I get them even with the top of the range stuff. I use a neem oil spray and it helps to keep the flies under control.

Comment

• Steveb71
      Steveb71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok I was planning on going with the fox farm organic soil. So how do you apply the oil, just to the top of the soil when you plant or do you spread it out and spray all the soil before you put it into the pots? Thanks for the tips!

Personally i wouldnt treat a problem before i had one, take out a cup full before hand water it just like u would a seedling and watch for a week and see what if anything emerges.

Comment

• Steveb71
      Steveb71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok.. Will do, THANKS! Speaking of water, what is the best for plants, Reverse osmosis water, distilled?? Because I have read some posts about not using chlorinated city water.

I use Fox farm soil, it is better than most. I always treat my soil with AzaMax, you can use it as a foliar spray and a soil drench. It isn't a harsh chemical and widely recommended.
    ​If you leave your tap water out for 24 hours the chlorine in the water should evaporate enough. I have used this method with good success. Good growing

Comment

Ok, Thanks for your help Canman. Much appreciated!!

Comment

To apply neem oil I mix in a teaspoon to a litre of water. You need to use warm water as the neem oil is thick and stiff. Use warm water, give it a good shake and then let it cool. I also add a squirt of washing up liquid, and sometimes, if I remember, a clove of garlic. It works for me. I can't get rid of the thrips but I can manage to keep them well under control.

Comment

As far as those little Gnats. They are fungus gnats. I found what works great. I Make Colloidal Silver. Google it. You can make the device/liquid at home cheap. I just mix in a small glass to a gallon and water. The plants love it. Its normal in the soil and non toxic. After about 3 or 4 waterings No more Gnats. The silver kills the fungus and the little buggers starve to death. Its safe enough to drink or put in your eyes and has lots of medical uses also.

Comment

Good tip. Thanks Ed. Is colloidal silver not also used in the feminization process?

Comment

I'm not sure of that Saturnalia, It is basicly an antibiotic that is natural. The bad bugs like mersa etc can not adapt to it. I have used it in my dogs water dish and they will chose the water bish with silver in it every time. The plants love it. I would think it would work very well even in a hydroponics system? Don't know I'm a dirt farmer. :-)

Comment

Hi Guys. Interested to read this. Yes, colloidal silver is used in the feminization process. Basically it is regularly sprayed onto the leaves of a female plant which causes her to stress hermie. The resulting pollen, when used to pollinate a mother plant, will result in all female offspring. There must be a difference in dosage between what is used for feminization and what is used for biological pest control.

Comment

I have used it in a spray bottle on the plant itself full strength to help control white fungus. It worked so/so. I never had a hermie. I make my own silver at around 17 ppm. or parts per million. I can make a lot for pennies. So far so good. The little Gnats are mostly gone. A few but nothing like it was. PS the silver works great if your dog get a hot spot or skin problem. - Interesting about the ferminization with silver, I'll look it up. Always learning. Thanx.

Comment

Working...
                  X